Once and Future Save the Date

Just got the save the date email for Once and Future, including an interesting sounding Bedrock Vineyard cuvée. I hope those folks who signed up for the list for the Ravenswood library release give these a try.

Is this the '18? The '17 O&F Bedrock is excellent. I tasted it along with a bunch of other Bedrock Vineyard zins last month:

Yep, these are the '18s. I will be purchasing…

Cheers,
JP

OLD HILL RANCH ZIN!!! [dance-clap.gif]

Pretty interested in the:

2017 Cuvee Frances Proprietary Red Blend, Bedrock Vineyard
176 cases
A co-fermented blend of Bordeaux varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petite Verdot from Bedrock Vineyard named to honor my mother Frances, who was a great lover of Bordeaux.

The only 2017 offered btw. Just to be clear…

JP

This would cement my 11/11

I will be in Spain during the release, but I am IN!

Exactly my thoughts when I opened the email Buzz. So pumped!

Going to be awesome tasting the O&F next to the Bedrock version at some point.

Joel just emailed this…

From Seeing 20/20 – Sonoma & Anderson Valley Preview (Jan 2020) by Antonio Galloni
I was super-impressed with the 2018s from Joel Peterson’s Once & Future. The 2018s are wonderfully vibrant, focused and full of character. In many ways, Peterson has returned to his roots from his early days at Ravenswood. The wines are made in open-top wood fermenters and handled minimally in the cellar. Quality is really driven by site, and no one knows these vineyards better than Joel Peterson. His boyish enthusiasm and humility are truly remarkable for someone who has had such a long and illustrious career. I can’t recommend these wines highly enough.
2018 OAKLEY ROAD VINEYARD MATARO – 93 POINTS
The 2018 Mataro Oakley Road Vineyard is soft, fruity and absolutely delicious wine, with lovely red berry, spice and floral character. Bright saline notes extend the finish nicely. Medium in body and supple, with impeccable balance, the 2018 is so delicious. These own-rooted vines planted in the late 1890s confer real depth of flavor as well as personality. This is such a classy wine.

2018 OAKLEY ROAD VINEYARD ZINFANDEL – 92 POINTS
The 2018 Zinfandel Oakley Road Vineyard is laced with gorgeous floral and savory notes that give the wine such a distinctive personality. Rose petal, sage, mint and wild flowers are all beautifully lifted in this exquisite Zinfandel. I won’t be surprised if the 2018 is even better with a bit more bottle age. Today, it comes across as somewhat closed.
2018 OLD HILL RANCH ZINFANDEL – 95 POINTS
The 2018 Zinfandel Old Hill Vineyard is flat-out stunning. Deep, layered and super-expressive, the 2018 offers unreal complexity, much of which comes from the diversity of a field blend of about 14 varieties that includes good bits of Grenache, Mataro, Alicante and Carignane, among others. A wine of total understatement, the 2018 is not obvious, but it has so much going on for readers who can take some time with it. Old Hill is one of the most pedigreed sites in Sonoma Valley. Joel Peterson certainly got every bit of potential out of this fruit in 2018. What a wine!
2018 BEDROCK VINEYARD ZINFANDEL – 93 POINTS
The 2018 Zinfandel Bedrock Vineyard is a rich, potent wine endowed with real breadth and intensity. The natural weight of this Sonoma Valley site comes through loud and clear. This is a decidedly big, brawny Zinfandel that will appeal most to readers who like bold, larger-scaled wines.
2018 TELDESCHI VINEYARD ZINFANDEL – 96 POINTS
One of the highlights in this range, the 2018 Zinfandel Teldeschi Vineyard Frank’s Block is flat-out stunning. In 2018, the Teldeschi soars out of the glass with magnificent aromatic complexity and depth. Inky dark fruit, lavender, spice, menthol, licorice and plum infuse the 2018 with tons of nuance and complexity. But it is the purity of the flavors that elevates the 2018 into the realm of the sublime. Dollops of co-fermented Alicante and Carignane add striking nuance. This is a stellar showing.
2018 SANGIACOMO VINEYARD MERLOT – 93 POINTS
The 2018 Merlot Sangiacomo Vineyard captures all of the savory intensity and structure of Merlot in Sonoma Valley in what is a cool site mostly planted with Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Dark cherry, chocolate, savory herbs and licorice infuse the 2018 with striking character and complexity.
2018 PALISADES VINEYARD PETITE SIRAH – 96 POINTS
The 2018 Petit Sirah Palisades Vineyard is sumptuous, racy and explosive. Inky and voluptuous to the core, with soft curves and tremendous fruit intensity, the 2018 has it all. Crème de cassis, blueberry jam, spice, lavender, menthol and exotic white flowers build as this arrestingly beautiful showstopper opens up with a bit of air. Joel Peterson has done a tremendous job exalting the purity of the fruit, while avoiding the hard tannins that can at times make young Petite hard to approach. In a word…wow!

For the Old Hill Ranch AG actually said flat out HORRIBLE…rated it 59 not 95…so don’t buy those…please! [wink.gif]

What’s the price point range on these? Assuming Carlisle and Bedrock esque?

Not really. Joel has his own style.

Pricing style? neener

Oh clarity…

Then the answer is yes, $30 ish to $50+ ish.

Definitely in for some Old Hill, Frank’s Block, and prob some Palisades PS (2014 has been great and surprisingly accessible).

As for pricing, I’d have to look but I feel like they were similar but maybe slightly higher than Bedrock (don’t quote me on that though)

*edit - Michael is probably correct here on the pricing :slight_smile:

Old Hill and Teldeschi top my list.

The 2017 O&F Bedrock was $42. The Palisades PS was $55.

The Merlot and Mataro are always good.

Thanks, John. I’m really looking forward to the Teldeschi vineyard, have always loved this site even back when Joel made it for his Ravenswood.