TN: 2018 Tissot (Bénédicte et Stéphane / André et Mireille) Poulsard Arbois Vieilles Vignes

This is a wine that seems ever changing and it’s more interesting than delicious. It tastes a bit like an organic cider as much as it tastes like wine. Hard to rate/contextualize because the flavors are so atypical.

Posted from CellarTracker

I found this wine quite challenging. At times, it seemed like a science experiment gone bad. I have several more bottles, so I’ll be interested to see where this goes if anywhere.

My favorite Tissot wine remains the Amphore, which i find texturally alluring.

Poulsard can do odd and unpleasant things when it’s reductive…and ‘a science experiment gone bad’ is in that range. Course, things growing in there is a likely option too, but not necessarily…and air can help things (not always tho, of course :frowning: ). Either way, sorry to hear it was a mess…I like Tissot.

Also sorry to hear, as I have a few bottles of this…

I find that for those few Jura producers I’ve experienced, their Poulsard-based wines can be wildly inconsistent from vintage-to-vintage. I know there may be differences in vintage conditions, but sometimes the inconsistencies are so wide that I wonder if they made major changes in their farming and/or wine-making styles to caused the differences.

Btw, can’t quite put a finger on the descriptor below and if it’s too personal then no need to respond. [cheers.gif]

I’ve found Tissot’s ‘DD’ rogue, (which I believe is a cofermented blend of Trousseau, Poulsard, and Pinot Noir) to be very reductive. It’s clearly intended to be a glou glou, but it’s so stinky due to the reductive aspect that it’s kind of hard to take.

Not too personal as it’s not my butt (it’s the chicken’s). But it’s not my descriptor, it’s my better half’s. She grew up in a Chinese-American home and she remembers eating the less desirable part of the chicken in her childhood. I believe that she and I were tasting the same thing, but for what it’s worth, I would have used the descriptor “dirty diaper”, or if I was feeling charitable “kombucha”.

Ji pigu (chicken butt) was one of the more desirable parts of the bird when I lived in Taiwan. I don’t think I ever gave it a sniff, though.

That’s what I was afraid that the TN was about.