TN: Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Dinner

MARCHAND & TAWSE / PASCAL MARCHAND DINNER - Chloe, DC (1/24/2020)

Justin B. organized a comprehensive Marchand & Tawse dinner. Six of us got together to drink a nice selection wines. This was the first time dining at Chloe. We ate more than fifteen different dishes and all were good to excellent, one of the best DC dining experiences. This was also the first time trying Marchand wines and they totally exceeded my expectation.

Champagne

• 2008 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année - France, Champagne
    Medium expressive nose displaying subtle yellow fruit with a hint of white, apple, fresh lemon juice, pear tart and a hint of sourdough. Medium concentration, subtle slightly sour yellow and white fruit, very fine but very shy mousse, good acidity and medium mineral and a medium long slightly sour finish. This feels fragile and slightly angular and lacks energy and concentration of the other 08 Tete de Cuvees. Alan comments that it seems a lot more mature and I agree. I typically agree with Antonio but not on this one. I need to try another bottle soon. (92 pts.)
  • 2008 Pol Roger Champagne Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill - France, Champagne
    Expressive nose displaying succulent rich yellow fruit, apple, apple pie, pear, ginger candy, cinnamon, biscuit and limestone. Excellent concentration, nicely layered rich yellow fruit, very fine generous mousse, deeply tone yet energetic, bright acidity and strong limestone mineral and a long concentrated yellow fruit driven finish. I typically find this cuvee to be very serious and complex and this is no exception. Already drinking beautifully. My only complain is that this is too serious where the 08 Dom and Cristal are almost playful. (96 pts.)

Paul Reitz
Some liked it but a couple of us thought it was not clean.

• 2001 Paul Reitz Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    The first note is dirty damp cellar. Medium expressive nose displaying ripe red and black fruit, strawberry candy, blackberry, cherry, cedar, dark spices and earth. Very good concentration, packed concentrated red fruit, masculine, good acidity, earthy mineral and a medium long finish. The dirty note does not dissipate. Very good concentration but something has gone wrong. Some like it more. (88 pts.)

Marchand & Tawse Clos de la Roche
All showed well. The 10 was exceptional.

• 2010 Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    Youthful yet gorgeous complex nose displaying perfect ripe red fruit, cherry, cherry pie, cranberry, rose, sweet spices, a hint of spearmint, tea and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated pure red fruit, oily yet silky and beautifully detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, nicely integrated tannins and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with rose and tea at the end. Although very young, drinking incredibly well. Wow! (96 pts.)
  • 2015 Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    Expressive nose displaying the ripe 15 fruit, Chambord, cherry compote, licorice, baking spices, tree bark and limestone. Excellent concentration, slightly coiled opulent red fruit, rich yet silky and polished, medium acidity, strong mineral, nicely integrated tannins and a long ripe red fruit driven finish with licorice at the end. With air, the 15 ripe fruit dissipates a bit but remains ripe. It will be interesting to retry in five years to check how the ripe fruit expression transforms. (93 pts.)
  • 2016 Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    Youthful exquisite nose displaying perfect ripe generous red and black fruit, raspberry, pomegranate and blackberry, rose, sap, a hint of toasted oak, sweet spices and mineral. Excellent concentration, very finely layered perfectly ripe red fruit, rich yet so refined and beautifully detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with perfume and rose at the end. Although primary, it provides a lot of pleasure to drink. It beautifully expresses the 16 vintage, i.e. generou, pure and refined. (95 pts.)

Domaine Tawse Musigny
These were top tier Musigny.

• 2015 Domaine Tawse Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru
    Exquisite nose displaying ripe red and black fruit, blackberry, raspberry, mocha, espresso bean, floral perfume, sap and mineral. With air, the fruit expression become more red. Unbelievably refined and harmonious palate, layers upon layers of finely layered red and black fruit, silky, fluid and beautifully detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long pure red and black fruit driven finish with intoxicating perfume and mocha at the end. Great Musigny with a long life ahead. (97 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Tawse Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru
    Already displaying incredibly complex nose, explosive pure black fruit with a hint of red, crushed blackberry, a hint of black cherry, strawberry candy, rose, sap, mocha and crushed rock. Unbelievable finesse, purity and elegance, layers upon layers of pure black and red fruit, weightless, precise and detailed, bright acidity and strong mineral, and a never ending finish. This flirts with perfection. A label whore that I am, I may have given a perfect score if this were a Roumier Musigny. (98 pts.)

Mazy Flight 1
The 10 was an excellent Mazy. The 13 was an atypical of the vintage. I doubt I would be able to guess as the 13.

• 2010 Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Mazy-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Expressive nose displaying perfectly ripe black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, mocha, sweet spices and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated sweet black fruit, rich yet silky and sensual, perfect amount of acidity and mineral and a seamless long black fruit driven finish. Although youthful, it is expressive and drinking incredibly well. (95 pts.)
  • 2013 Domaine Maume-Marchand-Tawse Mazis-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Beautifully perfumed nose displaying ripe black and red fruit, blackberry, black cherry, raspberry, a hint of rose, caramel, sap earth. Excellent concentration, finely layered concentrated black fruit, silky and polished, medium acidity, earthy mineral and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. Surprisingly expressive and concentrated for the 13 vintage. Showing really well. (94 pts.)

Mazy Flight 2

• 2014 Domaine Maume-Marchand-Tawse Mazis-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
    There is a slight fizz. Medium expressive nose displaying ripe red fruit with a hint of black, strawberry rhubarb tart, cherry soda, candied blackberry, licorice, rose, sap and earth. Very good concentration, packed ripe red fruit, a hint of fizz, good acidity and mineral and a medium long red fruit driven finish. A hint of fizz dissipates. Slightly leaner than the other vintages including the 13. (93 pts.)

Mazy Flight 3
I found the 15 very ripe but the 16 was excellent.

• 2015 Domaine Maume-Marchand-Tawse Mazis-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Expressive nose displaying very ripe black fruit, blackberry jam, black cherry, strong licorice, spicy spices and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of very ripe black fruit, rich and opulent yet silky, medium acidity, earthy mineral and a medium to long ripe black fruit driven finish with licorice and spices at the end. With air, the ripe fruit expression subsides a bit but still noticeable. It will be interesting to follow how this develops. (92 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Maume-Marchand-Tawse Mazis-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Absolutely gorgeous nose displaying pure black fruit, crushed blackberry, black cherry, sap, perfume, a hint of light caramel, sweet spices, cedar and limestone. Perfectly harmonious palate, very finely layered pure black fruit, elegant, energetic and precise, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long sweet black fruit driven finish with perfume and sap at the end. Another beautiful pure ‘16. Obviously youthful yet incredibly enjoyable. (95 pts.)

A great time was had by all!
Posted from CellarTracker

Great post! My limited interaction with the Marchand Tawse wines has been great.

Question for you and the board: any noticeable difference between the domain wines and the (I assume) negociant wines?
There is a documentary Grand Cru on amazon prime video that follows around Pascal. From it it seems that they pride themselves on how they treat their vineyard.

Very underrated producer, love them.

I don’t exactly know the link but I had a great Maume Mazis-Chambertin 2009 (18,5/20) yesterday (restaurant La Promenade, Le petit Pressigny)

Good to hear you liked the Musigny. The location is rather special, but I have yet to taste.

Despite it being very easy to be sniffy about the positioning of their vines ‘in’ Musigny, indeed their vines too - the 2018 is a really great, fabulously aromatic, wine - up there with cuvées of DRC in 2018 - I really can’t offer more praise than that!

As i wrote above, the Maume Mazis-Chambertin 2009 was really stunning … exceptional …

Bertrand Maume then sold to Pascal Marchand …

Mainly the extended family of Bertrand sold to Moray Tawse, not him. But now Bertrand has some of the Bourgogne, Cherbaudes and all of the En Palluds back - though mainly still doesn’t own them - selling grapes to Marchand-Tawse. The vines were worked biodynamically by Domaine Tawse between 2012 and 2016 - now Bertrand has those back, they’ve reverted/returned to ‘conventional’ farming.

Some knew the high quality of this Mazis (JFCD, Philippe Foreau, …). I just discovered this wine 10 days ago in this restaurant which has a great wine list (affordable prices).

Which vintage did you try? Ive only had '14-'16 and they were delicious for youngins.

2009, as written … This is the only Maume’s wine I have drunk …

Was there any sulfur evident on the Winston Churchill? That used to be a common signature on young WCs, but it has been a long time since I’ve had one at release.

fred

Fred,
I didn’t really notice.

1 Like

The more of the Marchand Tawse wines I drink the more I like them. Amazing nose. I am noticing that many are open at a fairly young age.

(1) Any guess on how these wines age?

(2) Any noticeable difference between Domaine and Negociant wines they make? Do they only buy from biodynamique vines?

Very well in my experience. I’ve had good luck with their wines up and down the range; back when I was in LA I went to 3 of their tastings with mark fincham and Thomas dinel and drank some older wines which were delicious. I’m a big MT/maume fan and should really own more of their wines.

Also worth seeking out are Maume wines from the eighties, when Bertrand’s father was still involved.