Re: QPR Burgundy?

#51 Post by Howard Cooper » January 31st, 2020, 1:57 pm

Gregory Dal Piaz wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 12:29 pm
RyanC wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 11:33 am
Gregory Dal Piaz wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 11:30 am
I went through a similar process over the past few years. I love good Bourgogne, and drink a fair amount but even Hudelot Noellat only gets you to a certain point. For my money, which like you is searching for sub $50 wines that really over achieve I've found Pavelot in Savigny and Joblot in Givry to be the best performers: .
Joblot Givry is probably my #2 in this category, right on the heels of Lumpp Givry. And Pavelot and Bize in Savigny are right there too (although Bize now usually goes for more than $50, which is unfortunate). Historically I've much preferred good wines from Givry/Savigny and other less prestigious appellations to basic Bourgogne wines that go for about the same price. Good Beaune wines from the negociants also fit the bill.
I guess I should look at Lumpp again, I last tasted through a few of his wines with the 2015 vintage but it looks like he too is going the way of Bize.
My top reds for under $50 over the past several years have been red CM from Ramonet and Bernard Moreau. Unfortunately, these wines are so hard to find in the US that I am not even sure what the current prices for them are.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

James Billy

#52 Post by James Billy » January 31st, 2020, 11:15 pm

Robert Sand wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 10:12 am
Some will disagree with me, but good (red) Burgundy needs age, and I would recommend to search a good AND (close to) mature Burg at auction - rather than buy a 2016/17 in its primary stage - you either will have to wait a decade+ or simply and only get early fruitiness and almost no complexity.
A Savigny-les-Beaune, Cotes-de-Nuits-Village, even a Volnay or Beaune (1er Cru) with some age will provide a lot of pleasure (when from a good producer and the bottle is sound). Why not search for a now mature 2007 ? Usually cannot be a fortune
That's definitely a good idea, but isn't a bit too much of a jump from Cali PN? Maybe one or two mature wines occasionally whilst focussing on something more like what the OP is currently drinking?

I'd focus on the youngest available vintages (from warmish vintges) 2017 or younger that will have lots of juicy fruit, yet still have the Burgundian stamp on them and go from there.

Whatever you do, don't drink Burgundy in its 'awkward' stage between aroun 5 and 10 years of age unless you've seen recent reports that a particular wine is drinking well.

James Billy

#53 Post by James Billy » January 31st, 2020, 11:29 pm

C Chen wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 4:14 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 3:04 pm
some of these wines mentioned really push the $50 envelope for sure. HN Bourgogne is a solid perennial well under the range bet, as is Hudelot Noellats Bourgogne. You can get about 10 bottlings from the previously mentioned Tardy et Fils that meet the requirement, and are really solid wines. I bought a Fixin La Place from Envoyer for $19 last week! Voillot VV mentioned is a solid bet, Pataille has some great bottlings in that range (I personally think much better than the CT scores). Barthod Bourgogne is maybe gonna be JUST above the range, but like others mentioned its basically a village wine with a regional label, so I still think that makes it a good QPR. Bize was also mentioned but great value in Savigny.

I would also add Benjamin Leroux to the list as he hasn't been mentioned yet. he's got a couple bottlings that fall within the price range.
Yea, but OP's asking for "gateway wine" for under $50. Is there really one? The cheap Burgs are just something to sip on, hardly gateway wines, IMO
C Chen wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 2:51 pm
OP trying to do a slight one up on the Oregon/Burgundy thread just above his. Also, < $50 too low. Consider a producer at L'Arlot at $90.
You were the one describing another Burgundy drinker as a martial artist who never rises up from a white belt despite years of training.

Do you have anything positive to say about Burgundy other than you need to spend lots money on it (and then you still might not get it)?

John L Hall

#54 Post by John L Hall » February 1st, 2020, 7:23 am

Thank you all for your responses - great start - going to look into Bourgogne

C Chen

#55 Post by C Chen » February 1st, 2020, 9:36 am

James Billy wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 11:29 pm
C Chen wrote:
Mattstolz wrote:
some of these wines mentioned really push the $50 envelope for sure. HN Bourgogne is a solid perennial well under the range bet, as is Hudelot Noellats Bourgogne. You can get about 10 bottlings from the previously mentioned Tardy et Fils that meet the requirement, and are really solid wines. I bought a Fixin La Place from Envoyer for $19 last week! Voillot VV mentioned is a solid bet, Pataille has some great bottlings in that range (I personally think much better than the CT scores). Barthod Bourgogne is maybe gonna be JUST above the range, but like others mentioned its basically a village wine with a regional label, so I still think that makes it a good QPR. Bize was also mentioned but great value in Savigny.

I would also add Benjamin Leroux to the list as he hasn't been mentioned yet. he's got a couple bottlings that fall within the price range.
Yea, but OP's asking for "gateway wine" for under $50. Is there really one? The cheap Burgs are just something to sip on, hardly gateway wines, IMO
C Chen wrote:
OP trying to do a slight one up on the Oregon/Burgundy thread just above his. Also, < $50 too low. Consider a producer at L'Arlot at $90.
You were the one describing another Burgundy drinker as a martial artist who never rises up from a white belt despite years of training.

Do you have anything positive to say about Burgundy other than you need to spend lots money on it (and then you still might not get it)?
Lol wot? Instead of buying two $50 Burg cheapies, he can get one L’Arlot and get a pretty serious expression of Burgundy. Loved seeing the producers you mentioned to help out OP. Oh wait...
curt1S ch3N
CT: C Chen

C Chen

#56 Post by C Chen » February 1st, 2020, 9:39 am

https://www.golden8wines.com/category-s/115.htm

For OP if he wants to dabble. Nothing but praise for Ryan Curry at Golden 8 Wines.

Lignier at $80 is a solid price. Pinson Les Clos looks great, too. Should stretch the $50 and try those.
curt1S ch3N

YLee

#57 Post by YLee » February 1st, 2020, 9:52 am

James Billy wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 11:29 pm
C Chen wrote:
Mattstolz wrote:

C Chen wrote:

[rofl.gif]
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Lee Short » February 1st, 2020, 10:11 am

C Chen wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 9:36 am

Lol wot? Instead of buying two $50 Burg cheapies, he can get one L’Arlot and get a pretty serious expression of Burgundy. Loved seeing the producers you mentioned to help out OP. Oh wait...
If there's anything worth LOLing about in this thread, it's the idea that burgundies less than $50 are crap, and that folks asking for good ones in that price range should be upsold.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Lee Short » February 1st, 2020, 11:07 am

Lots of good recs already. In this price range, I think wines from Beaune or Pommard are likely to be most appealing to someone coming from California wines. But my specific suggestions are from Savigny-les-Beaune: the Guillemot Serpentieres that others mentions, the Marechal Savigny VV, and the Camus-Bruchon Narbantons (or any of their wines, really). For a few extra $$, the Lafouge Pommard Chanlins I think would really be a great choice -- it may need lots of decanting. It's hard to find, but does show on Wine-Searcher (though it's the 2017 which I have not had, but wines from Lafouge have never disappointed).

C Chen

#60 Post by C Chen » February 1st, 2020, 12:25 pm

Lee Short wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:11 am
C Chen wrote:

If there's anything worth LOLing about in this thread, it's the idea that burgundies less than $50 are crap, and that folks asking for good ones in that price range should be upsold.
Never said they’re crap. Just not what I consider gateway wines. But funny, considering you also added a wine above $50 to your recs.
Last edited by C Chen on February 1st, 2020, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curt1S ch3N

Peter Valiquette

#61 Post by Peter Valiquette » February 1st, 2020, 12:47 pm

Didier Fornerol is my pick for bargain burg.

Haven’t had much luck with Lumpp...acidity was like nails on a chalkboard.

YLee

#62 Post by YLee » February 1st, 2020, 12:50 pm

C Chen wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 12:25 pm
YLee wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 9:52 am
[rofl.gif]
Once again, our forum white belt leaving a reply with no added substance.
Do you need your diapers changed?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Marcus Dean

#63 Post by Marcus Dean » February 1st, 2020, 12:55 pm

YLee wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 12:50 pm
C Chen wrote:
YLee wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 9:52 am
[rofl.gif]
Once again, our forum white belt leaving a reply with no added substance.
Do you need your diapers changed?
JEEZ, enough already.
Please take it to PMs if you guys want to have a cat fight

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by DanielP » February 1st, 2020, 12:55 pm

Lafouge Auxey-Duresses 1er Crus
P@ik

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Doug Schulman » February 1st, 2020, 12:56 pm

I agree that this price range is now difficult for Burgundy. Even 5 years ago, there were a lot more and a lot better options. Going up to $75-$90 would get you a lot of excellent village wines and some solid 1ers, but the value can be questionable.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Parize Givry 1ers, which are well within your price range. Also, Clos Salomon Givry 1er (evn if it's just over $50, which will depend on where you buy it). All of these drink very well young.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Barry L i p t o n » February 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm

I haven’t had many of the Bourgogne mentioned, but none I’ve had excited me.

On the other hand, wine from lesser appellations, such as Mercurey, Savigny les Beaune, Fixin, Marsannay and especially Rully and Pernand Vergelesses have often delighted. I’d go for Premier Cru in a lesser appellation by one of the better producers than a top producers Bourgogne or Haute Cote de Nuits unless I had insider info on where the grapes were from.

Just my personal experience, interested in trying some of the Bourgogne people are swearing by here.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on February 1st, 2020, 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Lee Short » February 1st, 2020, 2:23 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm

On the other hand, wine from lesser appellations, such as Mercurey, Savigny les Beaune, Fixin, Marsannay and especially Y and Pernand Vergelesses have often delighted. I’d go for Premier Cru in a lesser appellation by one of the better producers than a top producers Bourgogne or Haute Cote de Nuitd unless I had insider info on where the grapes were from.

Just my personal experience, interested in trying some of the Bourgogne people are swearing by here.
While I agree with the general sentiment, I'm super curious about this new "Y" appellation. When did it get elevated to AOC, I can't find it in any of my references?

For my money, Savigny, Pernand, and red Chassagne are the best of the Rodney Dangerfield appellations that don't get any respect. I can think of fine bottlings from Mercurey, Fixin, Marsannay, Santenay, Auxey and so on -- but IME each of these has a handful or less of good producers and lots of duds. While Savigny, Pernand, Chassagne all have many domaines making very nice wines indeed. But it's been quite a while since I've tasted very widely in any of these appellations, honestly, so it's completely possible that things have changed.

Justin S

#68 Post by Justin S » February 1st, 2020, 2:52 pm

Fred Bower wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 7:00 am
The Marsannays from Charles Audoin are all great values and I prefer them over the base Bourgogne bottlings from a lot of producers.
Fantastic with sushi the other night from someone who normally prefers whites.
$ ! n g h

C h r i s C

#69 Post by C h r i s C » February 1st, 2020, 8:40 pm

I haven't seen anyone mention Cru Beaujolais. Sure, not Pinot but I think that it is a valid Burgundy gateway drug. You can get most of the top wines from top producers for under $50.
Taking life one swirl at a time.

Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Matt Mauldin » February 1st, 2020, 8:50 pm

I've really enjoyed Domaine d'Ardhuy Côte de Nuits Villages 'Clos des Langres' Monopole as a solid QPR, but it's been a few vintages since I had one.
ITB

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Craig G » February 1st, 2020, 11:12 pm

This Les Champs de l'Abbaye Mercurey "Les Marcoeurs" is my top value right now. It’s not as good as the Faiveley Mercurey 1er Crus but it’s very tasty.

https://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1365205

BTW there is another one from the same producer that I don’t don’t like as much.

My other good bets in the <$50 range are the Faiveleys mentioned above, Guillemot’s Savignys, and Domaine Bart’s Marsannays. All are the real deal for Burgundy.

I think the time has passed for top villages Cote De Nuits wines in this range. There are some really good ones like Hudelot Noellat Vosne and Chambolle and Bertheau Chambolle, but more likely $60-65. It’s sad that Bertheau’s Bourgogne is gone. That was really like an entry-level Chambolle.

Edit: F. Esmonin still has some pretty tasty Gevreys below $50, particularly Les Jouises. The CDNV Belle Vue is also good at a lower price.
Last edited by Craig G on February 1st, 2020, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

James Billy

#72 Post by James Billy » February 1st, 2020, 11:29 pm

In the real world, $50+ for entry-level wine is bordering on the obscene. So many other regions with great wine for a lot less money.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Barry L i p t o n » February 1st, 2020, 11:34 pm

Lee Short wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 2:23 pm
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm

On the other hand, wine from lesser appellations, such as Mercurey, Savigny les Beaune, Fixin, Marsannay and especially Y and Pernand Vergelesses have often delighted. I’d go for Premier Cru in a lesser appellation by one of the better producers than a top producers Bourgogne or Haute Cote de Nuitd unless I had insider info on where the grapes were from.

While I agree with the general sentiment, I'm super curious about this new "Y" appellation. When did it get elevated to AOC, I can't find it in any of my references?

For my money, Savigny, Pernand, and red Chassagne are the best of the Rodney Dangerfield appellations that don't get any respect. I can think of fine bottlings from Mercurey, Fixin, Marsannay, Santenay, Auxey and so on -- but IME each of these has a handful or less of good producers and lots of duds. While Savigny, Pernand, Chassagne all have many domaines making very nice wines indeed. But it's been quite a while since I've tasted very widely in any of these appellations, honestly, so it's completely possible that things have changed.

My bad, or at least my spell check is bad.
Rully is what I meant.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Howard Cooper » February 2nd, 2020, 5:54 am

C h r i s C wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 8:40 pm
I haven't seen anyone mention Cru Beaujolais. Sure, not Pinot but I think that it is a valid Burgundy gateway drug. You can get most of the top wines from top producers for under $50.
I would not mention Beaujolais because it does not taste like Burgundy. If we discuss Beaujolais, why not discuss Bandol. Also can be an excellent value.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Howard Cooper » February 2nd, 2020, 6:00 am

I just got an email from Grapes the Wine Company for Trapet 2015 Gevrey Chambertin for $55. Seems like a good value - had the 2014 of this wine last fall in Barcelona and it was very good. Don't know anything about Grapes the Wine Company - have not ever bought from them.
Howard

jason stein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by jason stein » February 2nd, 2020, 6:34 am

Craig G wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 11:12 pm
This Les Champs de l'Abbaye Mercurey "Les Marcoeurs" is my top value right now. It’s not as good as the Faiveley Mercurey 1er Crus but it’s very tasty.

BTW there is another one from the same producer that I don’t don’t like as much.

My other good bets in the <$50 range are the Faiveleys mentioned above, Guillemot’s Savignys, and Domaine Bart’s Marsannays. All are the real deal for Burgundy.

I think the time has passed for top villages Cote De Nuits wines in this range. There are some really good ones like Hudelot Noellat Vosne and Chambolle and Bertheau Chambolle, but more likely $60-65. It’s sad that Bertheau’s Bourgogne is gone. That was really like an entry-level Chambolle.

Edit: F. Esmonin still has some pretty tasty Gevreys below $50, particularly Les Jouises. The CDNV Belle Vue is also good at a lower price.
Out of curiosity, do you know why Bertheau has stopped producing the Bourgogne?

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Howard Cooper » February 2nd, 2020, 6:47 am

jason stein wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 6:34 am
Craig G wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 11:12 pm

I do not know in this situation but there are times I know of where producers reduce the classification of wines made from young vines but eliminate the reduction as the vines get older. For example, for a number of years Mugneret-Gibourg made a GC premier cru from their younger vines in Ruchottes Chambertin.
Howard

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Craig G » February 2nd, 2020, 7:50 am

jason stein wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 6:34 am
I don’t know, though Howard may be right. I believe it was partly Chambolle fruit and partly not. Hopefully Bill or William will come to the rescue here.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Martin Steinley

#79 Post by Martin Steinley » February 2nd, 2020, 1:05 pm

I am not certain what "gateway" red Burgundy is; however, good red Burgundy to me is a wine with earthy, savory aromas, that is cool and fresh on the attack, has acidity to cleanse the palate, fleshes out with food, and finishes with some persistence and gentle tannic grip. It belongs on the dinner table. There is an ocean of it for under $50. There is a lot of talk about certain Burgundy producers and expensive bottles, but that is not the only action in Burgundy, nor is it the most interesting or rewarding.
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Howard Cooper » February 3rd, 2020, 4:58 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 1:05 pm
I am not certain what "gateway" red Burgundy is; however, good red Burgundy to me is a wine with earthy, savory aromas, that is cool and fresh on the attack, has acidity to cleanse the palate, fleshes out with food, and finishes with some persistence and gentle tannic grip. It belongs on the dinner table. There is an ocean of it for under $50. There is a lot of talk about certain Burgundy producers and expensive bottles, but that is not the only action in Burgundy, nor is it the most interesting or rewarding.
Great post
Howard

markjchambers

#81 Post by markjchambers » February 3rd, 2020, 7:26 am

williamwhelan wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 9:21 am
Vincent Dureuil's Rully wines are pretty freaking delicious for never being more than $45. Also, you can find Genot Boulanger's Pommard wines (Clos Blanc 1er Cru specifically) for under $45/$50 pretty easily. Those are awesome.
Agree on Dureil. Rully is a great value in general. A top wine from there is better QPR than a CdN village wine.

Peter Chiu

#82 Post by Peter Chiu » February 3rd, 2020, 10:13 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 4:58 am
Martin Steinley wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 1:05 pm
Great post
+ 1 and total agree. [winner.gif]

Markus S

#83 Post by Markus S » February 3rd, 2020, 11:26 am

C Chen wrote:
Lee Short wrote:
C Chen wrote:

Never said they’re crap. Just not what I consider gateway wines. But funny, considering you also added a wine above $50 to your recs.
But then you could say the same thing about gateway Cali cabs, where admission price seems to be around $75, and the big boys are hundreds of dollars. Perhaps that's the why I stay away from them?
$ _ € ® e . k @

C Chen

#84 Post by C Chen » February 3rd, 2020, 1:02 pm

Markus S wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 11:26 am
C Chen wrote:
Lee Short wrote:

But then you could say the same thing about gateway Cali cabs, where admission price seems to be around $75, and the big boys are hundreds of dollars. Perhaps that's the why I stay away from them?
Napa's also far less distinctive than Burg.
curt1S ch3N

AndreasB

#85 Post by AndreasB » February 3rd, 2020, 1:20 pm

I usually find more value in cote de beaune premier cru compared to cote de nuit village wine, which should be more or less same price. A lot of good producers have already been mentioned, but I would add domaine Des Croix as they have an amazing beaune premier cru lineup. I recently had a 1. cru Cent vignes 2009, which was gorgeous for under 50$.
-

Jonathan H

#86 Post by Jonathan H » February 3rd, 2020, 2:55 pm

AndreasB wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 1:20 pm
I usually find more value in cote de beaune premier cru compared to cote de nuit village wine, which should be more or less same price. A lot of good producers have already been mentioned, but I would add domaine Des Croix as they have an amazing beaune premier cru lineup. I recently had a 1. cru Cent vignes 2009, which was gorgeous for under 50$.
Completely agree on des Croix. David's wines are getting better and better. I can't buy enough of his wines. His village wines are <$50 USD and provide tremendous QPR.

Lafarge's Bourgogne Rouge is also another stunner at <$50 (if you can find it), but needs time.
- H@ll

Stan Y.

#87 Post by Stan Y. » February 4th, 2020, 4:29 am

I have a six-pack of 2015 Jadot Beaune 1er Celebration on the way, very curious to see how much it fits my stereotype of a sub-$50 gateway wine.
S. Y @ t € s

AndreasB

#88 Post by AndreasB » February 4th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Jonathan H wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
AndreasB wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 1:20 pm
Completely agree on des Croix. David's wines are getting better and better. I can't buy enough of his wines. His village wines are <$50 USD and provide tremendous QPR.
Yeah his village wine is pretty good as well. I had his Aloxe-Corton Les Boutières not long ago and it was delicious. Have any of you tried his Grand Crus from Corton? In Europe they sell for around 90€ I think.
-

Return to “Wine Talk”