Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#1 Post by Jim Stewart » January 29th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Over the past year, I have been paying more attention to Champagne; I am drinking it more frequently and experiencing a wider range (mostly NV). I just purchased an NV Rosé Champagne online which I have very modest expectations for. It has a date of disgorgement on the back label of October 2013, which I did not know prior to purchase. I do not know if this relatively old disgorgement date has good, bad, or unknown implications with respect to the drinking condition of the Champagne. Got me wondering what I should have been thinking about if I knew the disgorgement date prior to purchase.

Does not knowing the date of disgorgement influence your decision to purchase an NV champagne? If you know the date of disgorgement prior to purchase, what do you consider prior to going ahead with the purchase?

Thanks.
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 31st, 2017, 4:45 pm
Location: Auckland Noo ZEEEEland

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#2 Post by Marcus Dean » January 29th, 2020, 2:51 pm

For me the disgorgement date is handy because I can normally work out which vintages were used in the wine.

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#3 Post by Jim Stewart » January 29th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Marcus Dean wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 2:51 pm
For me the disgorgement date is handy because I can normally work out which vintages were used in the wine.
Interesting! Can you illustrate with a specific example?
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31142
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#4 Post by c fu » January 29th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Over the past year, I have been paying more attention to Champagne; I am drinking it more frequently and experiencing a wider range (mostly NV). I just purchased an NV Rosé Champagne online which I have very modest expectations for. It has a date of disgorgement on the back label of October 2013, which I did not know prior to purchase. I do not know if this relatively old disgorgement date has good, bad, or unknown implications with respect to the drinking condition of the Champagne. Got me wondering what I should have been thinking about if I knew the disgorgement date prior to purchase.

Does not knowing the date of disgorgement influence your decision to purchase an NV champagne? If you know the date of disgorgement prior to purchase, what do you consider prior to going ahead with the purchase?

Thanks.
it depends. Like Marcus said, if you're looking at NV then it's more a curiosity of what vintage the wine is. If it's for a vintage champagne, pre/post disgorgement aging is different. Recently disgorged tend to taste fresher but still have complexity
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8005
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#5 Post by Frank Murray III » January 29th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Jim, good topic. In my view, knowing the DD helps me to do a couple things. First, it facilitates and apples to apples comparison, meaning I can compare a bottle's TN from someone else to my own experience. Or, it can help me understand divergence of experience from someone else if the 'assembly or parts' of the wine are not the same as mine. A number of NV bottling are either made from more than one vintage, or contain reserve wines or solera components, which create the NV designation so NV is a bit of a challenge. Also, you may drink a bottle of NV from a producer, and I think I am drinking the same wine, but your bottling may have a blend of 2011 and 2012 in it, whereas mine may be for example 2013/2014/2015, etc.

I wish in CT more people would take the time to key the DD into their TN. I realize it takes an extra step but it fosters a dialogue and comparison amongst us all. Not everyone wants to see or know the DD info but I do think it aids in our hobby and discussion so I'll keep keying it into all my CT TNs.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3308
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#6 Post by Kirk.Grant » January 29th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Jim,

As long as the wine is of an expected quality I think there is little to no risk. For instance, in 2010 I bought some N.V. Billecart Salmon Rosé Champagne that was about 10 years old and had been stored well during the time since purchase. They were a brilliant and unique experience that were really special. So this is the tricky part, because not all Champagnes improve with age. Some don't like the traits that come with aged Champagne. The disgorgement can tell you some things like the vintage the base of the NV is mostly comprised of, Egly-Ouriet posts the disgorgement date and the months of age prior to disgorgement...so that can be VERY helpful. Sorry I got distracted, back to your two questions:

Does not knowing the date of disgorgement influence your decision to purchase an NV champagne?
Not really, if I'm buying a N.V. Champagne at this stage I generally already have an idea of the house style. If it was a producer I've never had a wine from before, I'd be curious about the disgorgement...but it would not influence my decision to buy or not to buy.

If you know the date of disgorgement prior to purchase, what do you consider prior to going ahead with the purchase?

If it's a producer I buy wines from frequently I would be most curious to buy the disgorgement I have not had yet...or if I'm re-buying I'd look for the same disgorgement I've already had and loved. It will also come down to what you and Jacqueline prefer. If you both tend to enjoy the same style...lucky you. If one of you prefers the more oxidative style and the other a younger-fresher style; it's time to start buying half-bottles. :)
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

User avatar
Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 31st, 2017, 4:45 pm
Location: Auckland Noo ZEEEEland

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#7 Post by Marcus Dean » January 29th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Vilmart and Egly are 2 grower Champagnes that are transparent in the vintages used in their disgorgements. Also I find I enjoy most NV Champagnes with some bottle age on them, so having a date on the bottles helps me keep track of where I am at with drinkability.

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3308
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#8 Post by Kirk.Grant » January 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 2:53 pm
Marcus Dean wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 2:51 pm
For me the disgorgement date is handy because I can normally work out which vintages were used in the wine.
Interesting! Can you illustrate with a specific example?

Jim,

Here are some of my notes on past bottles of N.V. Egly-Ouiret "Les Vignes de Vrigny". If you look down through you can see where I've posted the disgorgement dates and information that was on the back of the label. I hope this is helpful...

Kirk
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Premier Cru Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (12/25/2016)
    July 2013 Disgorgement (36 months):
    Color: A deep golden yellow
    Smell: Slightly smoky with prominent notes of brioche along with a creamy lemon creme and green apples.
    Taste: Layers of pear, quince, lemon, and chalk open up and build on themselves as the wine continues to unwind.
    Overall: Outstanding!! If you have a bottle of this disgorgement...do yourself a favor and crack one. Med+ acidity, med+ fruit, and a long finish.
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Premier Cru Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (8/31/2014)
    Another amazing bottle...soaring scents on the nose, a dept on the palate that so few other Champagnes can reach in this price point. This is a wine that's worthy of a case buy year in-year out. Drink or hold. Juillet 2012 Disgorgement (36 months).
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Premier Cru Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (3/29/2011)
    DISGORGED: September 2008 (36 months)
    Color:Golden yellow with fast medium sized bubbles
    Smell: baguette, strawberries, creme, and citrus zest
    Taste: red fruit, mushrooms, tangerine, and hints of oak
    Overall: Complex and just a brilliant wine...I love this wine and know that I tend to be a bit higher on it than most. However, for the money there are few Champagnes out there that offer the complexity, depth, and intrigue that this offers. (92 pts.)
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Premier Cru Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (3/27/2010)
    DISGORGED: September 2008 (36 months)

    Color: Bright golden yellow

    Smell: Scents of cherries, tangerine, and fresh bread

    Taste: Kiwi, Asian pear, quince, tangerine, and green apple

    Overall: An incredibly complex and mind-bending Champagne. With a fine and fast bead this strikes me as a wine that will only continue to get better with time, and could improve significantly with time in the cellar. Highly enjoyable now...but this could be outstanding with another few years in the cellar. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#9 Post by Jim Stewart » January 29th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Kirk, very helpful!
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5001
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#10 Post by M.Kaplan » January 29th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Not Champagne, but both age statement and no age statement whisky/whiskey bottles often state the bottling time and date. It is useful information, as some batches are better than others.
---Mark

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 1727
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#11 Post by William Kelley » January 29th, 2020, 3:22 pm

For NV wines, the date of disgorgement is much more useful for the knowledgeable consumers if you also know the date of triage (i.e. bottling). From that, you can infer the base vintage, as well as how long the wine spent on the lees in bottle. The disgorgement date on its own only gives you some sense of how tightly-wound the wine is likely to be (if you know how the particular bottling tends to behave), as well as giving you a means to match published reviews with wines.

That said, there are a lot of wines in the world where there are different bottlings. Among the regions I review, that is quite common in Chablis and Beaujolais. In 2018 in Chablis, there was so much wine that some cuvées were bottled in three or more runs: the first in February after the vintage! Beyond the question of different bottling dates, sometimes a cuvée will be filtered for some markets and not for others. Some importers might also select a different blend from the components available for a particular cuvée. And so on. And this information is never given on the label. So the fixation on disgorgement dates for Champagne in some quarters has sometimes struck me as just a touch disingenuous—or perhaps just naive—as the same standards are not applied to other regions.
The Wine Advocate

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 153
Joined: April 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#12 Post by Mark Thompson » January 29th, 2020, 4:32 pm

I’ve wondered this as it relates to some 1996 Duval-Leroy ‘Femme’ I picked up. I’ve seen disgorgement dates listed online ranging from 2004-2017. I’ve also noticed different labels on various bottles. Similar to tastings of Dom P2 or P3 versus the original bottling I think it would be interesting to compare the earliest ones with the most recent ones, but I don’t know if they would be all that different.

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 1727
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#13 Post by William Kelley » January 29th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Mark Thompson wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 4:32 pm
I’ve wondered this as it relates to some 1996 Duval-Leroy ‘Femme’ I picked up. I’ve seen disgorgement dates listed online ranging from 2004-2017. I’ve also noticed different labels on various bottles. Similar to tastings of Dom P2 or P3 versus the original bottling I think it would be interesting to compare the earliest ones with the most recent ones, but I don’t know if they would be all that different.
And producers often decrease dosage with successive disgorgements of a given triage, so there are other variables in the mix!
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17221
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#14 Post by John Morris » January 29th, 2020, 4:51 pm

I have a friend in the trade who has strongly recommended particularly disgorgement dates of wines she sells based on the vintages or aging. But without inside info like that or full disclosure by the producer of the vintage blend for a particular disgorgement (some producers and importers are good on that), it's a bit hard to figure out the significance of the date on its own.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 34781
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#15 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » January 29th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Worth noting that for many of the Terry Theise portfolio NV Champagnes he lets you know in his catalog which disgorgement he tasted, and what the base vintage was for that wine.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 1727
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#16 Post by William Kelley » January 29th, 2020, 5:08 pm

John Morris wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 4:51 pm
I have a friend in the trade who has strongly recommended particularly disgorgement dates of wines she sells based on the vintages or aging. But without inside info like that or full disclosure by the producer of the vintage blend for a particular disgorgement (some producers and importers are good on that), it's a bit hard to figure out the significance of the date on its own.
Exactly! With the date of triage / bottling you can figure everything out; but with just the disgorgment date, you need insider knowledge, whether from a critic or someone in the trade.
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17221
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#17 Post by John Morris » January 29th, 2020, 5:30 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 5:03 pm
Worth noting that for many of the Terry Theise portfolio NV Champagnes he lets you know in his catalog which disgorgement he tasted, and what the base vintage was for that wine.
Yes! He's great on that.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

User avatar
David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 814
Joined: July 17th, 2014, 7:01 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#18 Post by David_K » January 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm

While I sometimes use them to try to figure out the base years, more often I use them to make sure an NV has not been sitting on a retail shelf for too long (at least when buying in person).
K@ntrОwi╦z

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#19 Post by Jim Stewart » January 29th, 2020, 5:43 pm

David_K wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm
While I sometimes use them to try to figure out the base years, more often I use them to make sure an NV has not been sitting on a retail shelf for too long (at least when buying in person).
David, so if you saw the bottle that I bought on a retail store shelf, the date of disgorgement might give you some reservation about purchasing it because of possibly less than ideal storage conditions?
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 814
Joined: July 17th, 2014, 7:01 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#20 Post by David_K » January 29th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 5:43 pm
David_K wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm
While I sometimes use them to try to figure out the base years, more often I use them to make sure an NV has not been sitting on a retail shelf for too long (at least when buying in person).
David, so if you saw the bottle that I bought on a retail store shelf, the date of disgorgement might give you some reservation about purchasing it because of possibly less than ideal storage conditions?
Right. If I'm looking at an NV and it was disgorged several years ago, it's probably been sitting there for a while at room temp and I'll pass.
K@ntrОwi╦z

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12072
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#21 Post by alan weinberg » January 29th, 2020, 8:08 pm

sometimes one disgorgement is way better, likely for reasons WK mentioned—for example the April disgorgement of 96 Clos des Goisses.

adam caldwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 90
Joined: April 20th, 2019, 10:27 am

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#22 Post by adam caldwell » January 29th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Anyone have a list or link of Egly base wines for thier NVs?

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 1727
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#23 Post by William Kelley » January 30th, 2020, 6:19 am

adam caldwell wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 9:51 pm
Anyone have a list or link of Egly base wines for thier NVs?
You can work it out from the bottle. For example, for the Egly-Ouriet Extra-Brut V.P. on my desk, it says on the back label that it was disgorged in July 2019 (Egly disgorge all their releases for the year at the same time, July, every year), and that it spend 84 months on the lees. So you can see that the wine was bottled in 2012; which means that is it based on the 2011 vintage. Reserve wines will be from 2010 and 2009 (the Extra-Brut V.P. and the Brut Grand Cru are always a blend of three consecutive vintages).
The Wine Advocate

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4956
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#24 Post by Gerhard P. » January 30th, 2020, 7:39 am

The DD is valuable to know how long the Champ. did develope in the bottle off its lees ... 2013 DD seems quite young to me, except you like it only fresh without any bottle age. I have dozens of Champ. from the 80ies and 90ies drinking fine (for me), I like the taste of brioche and bread crumbles in aged Champagne.
DD is useful to know the used vintages only if you know the house style anf practice.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

User avatar
John Danza
Posts: 1470
Joined: December 4th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#25 Post by John Danza » January 30th, 2020, 7:45 am

When I buy NV champagne at auction, it's always a crap shoot on the disgorgement date. I would like to know so I can estimate the evolution of the wine in the bottle. But sometimes it's great not knowing because it becomes a surprise when you finally find out.

A recent example was some bottles of Mumm Corton Rouge that I bought through Winebid. After receiving the bottles, I was able to decipher the code on the bottles to determine that these had been disgorged in September 1997. To me, and my appreciation of ageing NV champagne, that was a fabulous surprise! The wine in the bottle is much more complex that new Corton Rouge, further proving that NV champagnes can age very well.
John Danza

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#26 Post by Jim Stewart » January 30th, 2020, 8:55 am

John Danza wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 7:45 am
When I buy NV champagne at auction, it's always a crap shoot on the disgorgement date. I would like to know so I can estimate the evolution of the wine in the bottle. But sometimes it's great not knowing because it becomes a surprise when you finally find out.

A recent example was some bottles of Mumm Corton Rouge that I bought through Winebid. After receiving the bottles, I was able to decipher the code on the bottles to determine that these had been disgorged in September 1997. To me, and my appreciation of ageing NV champagne, that was a fabulous surprise! The wine in the bottle is much more complex that new Corton Rouge, further proving that NV champagnes can age very well.
I like the way you describe the "rolling the dice" aspect of a possibly old NV. That is life in a nutshell isn't it; wonderful surprises await, but it still stinks when you crap out.
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5240
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#27 Post by Doug Schulman » January 30th, 2020, 9:12 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 5:43 pm
David_K wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm
While I sometimes use them to try to figure out the base years, more often I use them to make sure an NV has not been sitting on a retail shelf for too long (at least when buying in person).
David, so if you saw the bottle that I bought on a retail store shelf, the date of disgorgement might give you some reservation about purchasing it because of possibly less than ideal storage conditions?
I think this is even more important than knowing which release and base vintage(s) you have (although I like to know that too, especially with wines like Pierre Peters NV where some releases are so much better than others). Personally, I would definitely not buy anything disgorged more than 2-3 years ago. I have opened many such bottles that have been in some combination of wholesale warehouse and/or retail shelf for most of that time, and well over half have not been in good condition.

adam caldwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 90
Joined: April 20th, 2019, 10:27 am

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#28 Post by adam caldwell » January 30th, 2020, 4:10 pm

William Kelley wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 6:19 am
adam caldwell wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 9:51 pm
Anyone have a list or link of Egly base wines for thier NVs?
You can work it out from the bottle. For example, for the Egly-Ouriet Extra-Brut V.P. on my desk, it says on the back label that it was disgorged in July 2019 (Egly disgorge all their releases for the year at the same time, July, every year), and that it spend 84 months on the lees. So you can see that the wine was bottled in 2012; which means that is it based on the 2011 vintage. Reserve wines will be from 2010 and 2009 (the Extra-Brut V.P. and the Brut Grand Cru are always a blend of three consecutive vintages).
Thanks William That is helpful. Cheers.

User avatar
C Chen
Posts: 979
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Location: California

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#29 Post by C Chen » January 30th, 2020, 4:52 pm

David_K wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm
While I sometimes use them to try to figure out the base years, more often I use them to make sure an NV has not been sitting on a retail shelf for too long (at least when buying in person).
You run that risk in a private sale, too...
curt1S ch3N
CT: C Chen

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8005
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#30 Post by Frank Murray III » January 30th, 2020, 5:03 pm

It's worth adding here too that on some producers there is a disgorge date etched into the glass on the bottle (Marie Courtin comes to mind for sure and either Jacquesson or Larmandier-Bernier--I can't recall, in part because I am 54 and have CRS). It's cut right into the glass and will give you a disgorge date indication. Sure, not everyone does this and it's not a industry standard but there is sometimes info lurking on the bottle and it can be decoded, in some instances easily enough.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#31 Post by Jim Stewart » January 30th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 5:03 pm
It's worth adding here too that on some producers there is a disgorge date etched into the glass on the bottle (Marie Courtin comes to mind for sure and either Jacquesson or Larmandier-Bernier--I can't recall, in part because I am 54 and have CRS). It's cut right into the glass and will give you a disgorge date indication. Sure, not everyone does this and it's not a industry standard but there is sometimes info lurking on the bottle and it can be decoded, in some instances easily enough.

You ain't seen nothing yet, Frank!
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8005
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#32 Post by Frank Murray III » January 30th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Oh gee, thanks, Jim. At 54, on some days I FEEL like I have been disgorged.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#33 Post by Jim Stewart » January 30th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Oh gee, thanks, Jim. At 54, on some days I FEEL like I have been disgorged.
At 70, I have perspective. Just giving you a "heads up" for the road ahead.
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3631
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#34 Post by LMD Ermitaño » January 30th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Oh gee, thanks, Jim. At 54, on some days I FEEL like I have been disgorged.
We’re the same age. I think I know what you mean.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#35 Post by Jim Stewart » February 1st, 2020, 10:03 am

FYI. I have a half bottle of Roederer Brut Premier on deck and was poking around to see if I could figure out the date of disgorgement. That info and more is available on the Roederer site. Just plug in the code on the back of the bottle and voila! FWIW.

https://www.louis-roederer.com/en/bottle-identification
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 31st, 2017, 4:45 pm
Location: Auckland Noo ZEEEEland

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#36 Post by Marcus Dean » February 1st, 2020, 10:59 am

Roederer is one of the best NVs to age IMHO

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5240
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#37 Post by Doug Schulman » February 1st, 2020, 1:23 pm

Gerhard P. wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 7:39 am
The DD is valuable to know how long the Champ. did develope in the bottle off its lees ... 2013 DD seems quite young to me, except you like it only fresh without any bottle age. I have dozens of Champ. from the 80ies and 90ies drinking fine (for me), I like the taste of brioche and bread crumbles in aged Champagne.
DD is useful to know the used vintages only if you know the house style anf practice.
There’s a big difference between sitting on a store shelf for 6+ years and sitting in your cellar for 10+. On is often good, the other almost never.

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#38 Post by Jim Stewart » February 1st, 2020, 3:11 pm

Doug Schulman wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 1:23 pm
Gerhard P. wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 7:39 am
The DD is valuable to know how long the Champ. did develope in the bottle off its lees ... 2013 DD seems quite young to me, except you like it only fresh without any bottle age. I have dozens of Champ. from the 80ies and 90ies drinking fine (for me), I like the taste of brioche and bread crumbles in aged Champagne.
DD is useful to know the used vintages only if you know the house style anf practice.
There’s a big difference between sitting on a store shelf for 6+ years and sitting in your cellar for 10+. On is often good, the other almost never.
Doug, I am going to lower my expectations for the bottle that I posted about.
. . . maybe I can at least use the bottle as a festive decoration
Lanson Rose Label.jpg
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5240
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#39 Post by Doug Schulman » February 1st, 2020, 4:05 pm

It might be fine. At least, it’s worth opening. I just wouldn’t expect a pristine bottle, and maybe not even one worth drinking.

User avatar
Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 31st, 2017, 4:45 pm
Location: Auckland Noo ZEEEEland

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#40 Post by Marcus Dean » February 1st, 2020, 5:07 pm

The colored bottle actually works to your benefit by negating the effects of light strike on the wine, Lanson screams out for a bit of bottle age to drink well anyway.
You might be surprised at how much you enjoy it.

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#41 Post by Jim Stewart » February 1st, 2020, 5:22 pm

Marcus Dean wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 5:07 pm
The colored bottle actually works to your benefit by negating the effects of light strike on the wine, Lanson screams out for a bit of bottle age to drink well anyway.
You might be surprised at how much you enjoy it.
Hey, good news! Thanks for pointing this out, Marcus. I will keep an open mind.
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#42 Post by Jim Stewart » February 14th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Marcus Dean wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 5:07 pm
The colored bottle actually works to your benefit by negating the effects of light strike on the wine, Lanson screams out for a bit of bottle age to drink well anyway.
You might be surprised at how much you enjoy it.
You were absolutely correct, Marcus. We opened the bottle this evening and we enjoyed it very much, no issues at all, plenty of very fine energetic bubbles, bright fruit, nutty, and leesy. Tasty and pleasant drinking at about $35 US. That festive pink bottle wrap was just a bonus! Thanks for posting.
champagne.gif
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5240
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#43 Post by Doug Schulman » February 14th, 2020, 4:08 pm

I'm glad that worked out for you, Jim!

User avatar
Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 31st, 2017, 4:45 pm
Location: Auckland Noo ZEEEEland

Re: Value of knowing the date of disgorgement?

#44 Post by Marcus Dean » February 14th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 4:00 pm
Marcus Dean wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 5:07 pm
The colored bottle actually works to your benefit by negating the effects of light strike on the wine, Lanson screams out for a bit of bottle age to drink well anyway.
You might be surprised at how much you enjoy it.
You were absolutely correct, Marcus. We opened the bottle this evening and we enjoyed it very much, no issues at all, plenty of very fine energetic bubbles, bright fruit, nutty, and leesy. Tasty and pleasant drinking at about $35 US. That festive pink bottle wrap was just a bonus! Thanks for posting.
champagne.gif
Glad you had a win

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”