1983 Guiseppe Quintarelli Bianco Amabile

The cork of this bottle was significantly raised which indicated less then optimal storage conditions. I approached the bottle with lowest possible extpectations, but wow was I ever surprised.

I carefully decanted for sediments but to my surprise there were none. Not something you see every day with a wine of that age. The first wiff revealed some VA and I decided to let it air for about one hour which turned out to be a great decision as the VA smell vanished.

The color of this white blend had no resembelance to any white wine I encountered before. It was much darker then a 50 year old Sauternes and more Port like - dark tawny actually. The aroma revealed impact by botrytis with a wide array of sensations including grapey notes, honey, white flowers and stone fruits.

On the palate it set off a firework of sensations as the perceived notes were met with an electric and well balanced acidity/sugar level which seemed to enhance every single taste. Nothing felt heavy and no sign of the wine being tired. There was an ever so slight petillance noticable, not unpleasant - but present. That would explain the VA which at this point was not noticable at all. The finish was very long and actually hindered me to have another sip as I was still deciphering all the nuances. Every time I tasted the wine it would take me on a different journey. What a ride.

I followed the wine for three days and did notice a complete disappearance of the petillance. It only marginally dropped in its vibrancy over that period which would attest to its ability to a long life. I felt priveledged to had this experience which will be embedded in my memory for a very long time. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Wow,
Really interesting and wonderful note. Thank you.

Wow, rare indeed - great note!

Attachment
amabile.jpg

Fascinating, thanks for posting! Thoughts about the rest of the Quintarelli line-up? I’m always tempted, but never quite pull the trigger.

Does the wine start off the color of a white sweet wine when it is released?

Amazing, great notes.

I have the 90, 89 and 85 in my cellar. Waiting for an occasion to try one. There is another wine called to the “Bianco Amabile” (from '88). Not sure the difference.

Quintarelli always a treat, but have never had this!

Joshua, I am afraid my experience is limited to his Valpolicella and Amarone bottles which never disappoint albeit being fairly bold. I am sure there are a lot of folks out there with more versatile experience and there is always the search feature.

I had the 2007 quintarelli merlot, and the 2011 amarone very recently. Both were exquisite. I don’t think you can go wrong with any wines in their portfolio.

Chris, I have never seen a bottle on release (last release was 2007) but from what I gather on several web sites the colour most likely resembles a 5-6 puttonyos Tokaji Aszu, a moderate amber. What is amazing is the rate in which it transforms into this opaque dark tawny.