Scam alert -- Grapeswine.com

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Michael Klein

Re: Scam alert -- Grapeswine.com

#51 Post by Michael Klein » May 26th, 2020, 1:23 pm

i contested the charge over a week ago when i could smell this was fishy. Told them I would pull it once i saw some wine. Then the whole incorrect case showed up with the note. I am continuing the credit card contest as the first line of defense.

The rest of my effort now is to take down a business that is scamming people. Don't f*ck with my wine hobby!

Victor Hong

#52 Post by Victor Hong » May 26th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 1:23 pm
i contested the charge over a week ago when i could smell this was fishy. Told them I would pull it once i saw some wine. Then the whole incorrect case showed up with the note. I am continuing the credit card contest as the first line of defense.

The rest of my effort now is to take down a business that is scamming people. Don't f*ck with my wine hobby!
If you did not order the wine or agree to substitution in advance, and it was delivered unsolicited, you have no obligation to pay or return.
WineHunter.

Michael Klein

#53 Post by Michael Klein » May 26th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Can you explain, Victor? That is honestly the debacle I am in here. I also am holed up in a condo in chicago during covid and do not have ability actually rebox and ship. Any help here is certainly appreciated.

should also be noted the box came with no packing slip to prove what was inside. I am very afraid to return anything and have this company make some claim i didnt ship it back or whatever. i have lots of photos but am just holding for now.

Victor Hong

#54 Post by Victor Hong » May 26th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 2:02 pm
Can you explain, Victor? That is honestly the debacle I am in here. I also am holed up in a condo in chicago during covid and do not have ability actually rebox and ship. Any help here is certainly appreciated.

should also be noted the box came with no packing slip to prove what was inside. I am very afraid to return anything and have this company make some claim i didnt ship it back or whatever. i have lots of photos but am just holding for now.
If you did not order the wines or agree to them as substitutes in advance, and it was delivered unsolicited, you have no obligation to pay or return.

If you ordered other wines but received none of them, you are owed a total refund. The two batches are legally unrelated. Two wrongs make no right.
WineHunter.

Vince L.

#55 Post by Vince L. » May 26th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Michael Klein wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 2:02 pm

If you ordered other wines but received none of them, you are owed a total refund. The two batches are legally unrelated. Two wrongs make no right.
Total refund of wines not shipped but if he did get some of what he ordered he's expected to pay for those right.
l e r t

Victor Hong

#56 Post by Victor Hong » May 26th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Sounds like no overlap between ordered versus delivered goods.
WineHunter.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Robert M yers » May 26th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 9:11 am
You can add another to this scam list. In all my time buying wine, this is the first time I have truly been scammed and I feel like an idiot.

TLDR - I ordered a case of wine a month plus ago. Texts, calls, broken promises galore for over a month. $500 order. I finally got the case and none of the wines were wines I ordered. Inside the case was a note explaining that they had to 'make subsititutes'. So over a month goes by and no one can tell me you dont have the wine I requested? What the f*ck.

Then - I realize there are 11 not 12 bottles in my case i ordered. Again, wtf.

Total dodge for a week now and I officially raised a complaint with BBB and also called chase bank to contest the charge entirely.

BE WARY THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL SCAM
That’s just unbelievable that they would even think they could get away with sending you 11 different wines than you ordered. I can only assume that their logic was your 12th bottle so offensive that even sending you nothing is “equal or greater taste” :)

I almost bought from them once before But was saved by An earlier Warning thread. Keep the pressure on them and I hope it all works out. I’d think Chase will certainly be on your side without issue.

If you have the time I’d love to hear what you ordered and what they substituted, are they even in the same ballpark? (I’m imagining not)

Arv R

#58 Post by Arv R » May 27th, 2020, 8:59 am

What's funny is that Winex is blowing out some of that Rothschild bubbles today via email, so presumably the grapes people got it for a low price too and just decided it to switch it in, hoping the OP wouldn't notice/care, or just be happy to get anything at this point.

I'd stick with the chargeback, and request a return shipping label/authorization, to send the grab bag back at their expense. If they decline to provide one, just keep it.

I wonder if that's a form letter they have been sending out, and getting away with.
R_@_0

Michael Klein

#59 Post by Michael Klein » May 28th, 2020, 9:00 am

company is now asking me to send wine back. they did not provide a packing slip and no one will send me one. I don't think they have any idea what they sent.

I can't in good faith send this back with no packing slip. they will screw me. I think ill let the CC dispute play out.

Victor Hong

#60 Post by Victor Hong » May 28th, 2020, 9:09 am

The sender is legally responsible for all the costs, materials, and effort to retrieve the unsolicited merchandise delivery.

In a bait-and-switch business, the operator first entices buyers with under-marked goods, and then looks to substitute with different but over-marked goods. No loss occurs on the former, much profit occurs on the latter.
WineHunter.

Michael Klein

#61 Post by Michael Klein » May 28th, 2020, 9:38 am

and to be clear - the company did deliver 8 bottles of wine i ordered. the final 4 were what were replaced with 3 total randoms. Those bottles are marked up SIGNIFICANTLY on their site and thus, they claim equal or greater value. Champagne Barons de Rothchild does not cost $100 a bottle - unless you order it from Grapeswine.

After speaking with chase, i think im going to send back the 3 random bottles. I confirmed the 8 bottles of bruno paillard as legit (called importer) so im glad to keep those at $40 per.

What they did was deliver 8 bottles under market rate and then try to make their margin on the replacements. Creative - but major scam.

Victor Hong

#62 Post by Victor Hong » May 28th, 2020, 9:48 am

Michael Klein wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 9:38 am
and to be clear - the company did deliver 8 bottles of wine i ordered. the final 4 were what were replaced with 3 total randoms. Those bottles are marked up SIGNIFICANTLY on their site and thus, they claim equal or greater value. Champagne Barons de Rothchild does not cost $100 a bottle - unless you order it from Grapeswine.

After speaking with chase, i think im going to send back the 3 random bottles. I confirmed the 8 bottles of bruno paillard as legit (called importer) so im glad to keep those at $40 per.

What they did was deliver 8 bottles under market rate and then try to make their margin on the replacements. Creative - but major scam.
Old hat.
WineHunter.

Jan Janas

#63 Post by Jan Janas » May 28th, 2020, 3:32 pm

I can’t believe these people have been running a scam operation for 20 years with all the reports on them. Really makes you think what the f*ck law authorities are there for...

Hope to hear some good updates soon! These guys should be forced to should shop

YLee

#64 Post by YLee » May 28th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Should be locked up.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Wes Barton » May 28th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Jan Janas wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 3:32 pm
I can’t believe these people have been running a scam operation for 20 years with all the reports on them. Really makes you think what the f*ck law authorities are there for...
The only fair assumption would be to collect payoffs.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Jayson Cohen » May 28th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I’m guessing that if needed, sending Chase a copy of a written complaint to the liquor board could be helpful with a refund.

I try to buy with AmEx generally because of the great service over the last 30+ years, including always going to bat for me when there is an issue with a charge. I don’t know if Chase is also good for this.

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by T Welch » May 28th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Maybe they should reorganize as Grape Swine.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Michael Klein

#68 Post by Michael Klein » June 2nd, 2020, 12:13 pm

Credit card dispute still not closed, so this goes on. This outfit is an outright scam and the level of which - is a little bit scary.

Luckly im out $500, which likely will be taken care of by my bank. As it should be.

From here - I am making it my mission to expose these assholes.

145 BBB complaints and an F rating. A yelp page and google account littered with scam reviews.

How does this company continue to operate? I called both the CT liquor control board and the Norawalk police.

And if anyone has more information on:

Dave Sitar
John Caplan

These are the two scam artists running things.

Victor Hong

#69 Post by Victor Hong » June 2nd, 2020, 2:00 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 12:13 pm
Credit card dispute still not closed, so this goes on. This outfit is an outright scam and the level of which - is a little bit scary.

Luckly im out $500, which likely will be taken care of by my bank. As it should be.

From here - I am making it my mission to expose these a55holes.

145 BBB complaints and an F rating. A yelp page and google account littered with scam reviews.

How does this company continue to operate? I called both the CT liquor control board and the Norawalk police.

Dave Sitar
John Caplan

I met John Caplan at a trade tasting, who asked about my business. When he realized who I was, he scurried away.
WineHunter.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#70 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 2nd, 2020, 2:24 pm

Michael Klein wrote:

Dave Sitar
John Caplan

Wow, this is frustrating! How can the credit card company still keep the dispute open? What's the 'retailer's' excuse that keeps Chase from settling it once and for all??
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Michael Klein

#71 Post by Michael Klein » June 2nd, 2020, 2:27 pm

Good question - i continue to follow up with chase, provide documentation, etc. I will be satisfied when they officially close this out.

This outfit is a scam! Truly bad people. 145 separate BBB complaints and an F rating.

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Steve L Gellman » June 2nd, 2020, 2:50 pm

Drove by the store today and thought of this thread
Last edited by Steve L Gellman on June 2nd, 2020, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveG

#73 Post by SteveG » June 2nd, 2020, 2:53 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
Michael Klein wrote:

Dave Sitar
John Caplan

Wow, this is frustrating! How can the credit card company still keep the dispute open? What's the 'retailer's' excuse that keeps Chase from settling it once and for all??
possibly not so complicated. Last time i had a dispute that went through a bank card (rather than amex) i had the same frustration but it turns out that they give they retailer 90 days to respond before closing the file.
steve gurevitz

Dave Nerland

#74 Post by Dave Nerland » June 2nd, 2020, 3:02 pm

If you are able to find out who their credit card processor is, file complaint with them. Risk management.....

Vince L.

#75 Post by Vince L. » June 2nd, 2020, 3:22 pm

SteveG wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 2:53 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
Michael Klein wrote:

Dave Sitar
John Caplan

possibly not so complicated. Last time i had a dispute that went through a bank card (rather than amex) i had the same frustration but it turns out that they give they retailer 90 days to respond before closing the file.
That is true, usually they'll give the retailer certain amount of time. However depending upon the amount and of course your relationship with your card issuer, they just give you the money back and go after the retailer on their own terms.

This might be a bit over the let's just let it go threshold...
l e r t

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by HoosJustinG » June 2nd, 2020, 3:49 pm

I’ve definitely disputed things in the 30-50 dollar ballpark before — obviously not going to invest too much time in something like that, but it’s a principle thing of not wanting to reward a company for cheating a customer. Every single time, Amex has immediately (like as in as soon as I click submit) said congrats it was successful. Whether they actually pursued the merchant on those matters or just decided it’s not worth their time, I have no idea.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Joe cuccia

#77 Post by Joe cuccia » June 21st, 2020, 10:15 am

I had used Grapeswine several years ago and was very pleased with their service. About 2 months ago, I wanted to use them again, so I call Tim and placed an order for $325. I was told it would be 2-3 weeks. After 6 weeks, I called, emailed, and left phone messages. I finally called Sales instead of Customer Service, and spoke to a person. I did receive a case of wine. Of the 3 types, 2 were the wrong vintage, and 1 was different altogether.

I was going to try and return them, but after reading this thread, and looking at the BBB reviews, I guess I am glad I received a case of anything. I can't believe this place is still in business.

Arv R

#78 Post by Arv R » June 21st, 2020, 11:15 am

You should still do a chargeback. If you don't have a real high rate of doing that, it will cause effort/expense for the merchant to deal with. The more chargebacks they are hit with, the higher their holdback percentages will be, and in extreme cases, they will be forced to stop taking cards, which would be a good way to get this scammer out of the system, or at least displace them for a while.
R_@_0

Michael Klein

#79 Post by Michael Klein » June 30th, 2020, 6:27 am

Resurrecting this thread. I finally won (unsurprisingly) my chargeback/dispute. It took a lot more time and BS than it should have, but its glad to know Chase had my back in a clear scam scenario.

I'm going to do my best to bump this thread on a semi regular basis. This whole situation was horrible. If I save one person the headache I just wen though I will call it a success.

f*ck Grapes Wine. Total Scam operation.

YLee

#80 Post by YLee » June 30th, 2020, 10:43 am

Goodjob. They really need to be investigated. I dont understand how they are getting away with this for so long.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#81 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 30th, 2020, 11:16 am

They are far too spammy with their emails, had to unsubscribe. Glad I didn't purchase or I'd be chasing that down
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Victor Hong

#82 Post by Victor Hong » June 30th, 2020, 11:43 am

Back in 2005, I had forced the store to deliver a case of d'Armhailhac 2000, for $20 per bottle. it defaulted on every other part of my order.
WineHunter.

Return to “Wine Talk”