TN: 1999 Lynch Bages

Fully mature, from an underrated vintage, this wine, 13% alcohol, is clearly on the hedonistic side of the classic spectrum. At the same time pure understatement, with a level of purity and precision that is admirable. Silky on the palate, with layers of cherry fruit, cassis, and dark berries, this wine has a seamless elegance and refinement that is second to none.
From the nose to the finish, the delicate fruit dominates, reminding of a ‘rich Black Forest gateau’, says my wine buddy Alfons, but is perfectly balanced by delicate exotic spices, mainly licorice and cinnamon, and a fine mineral, acid, tannic structure. With time, subtle notes of caramel and nougat enrich the enjoyment and the berry, spicy finish lingers on and on. This is an opulently styled, perfectly matured Pauillac, a wine of pure pleasure.

1999 Lynch Bages.jpg

That’s a great note!

I’m a big Lynch Bages fan.

Sounds great, Rudi! The last time I tried one was in 2012 - I remember well the silky elegance you describe, but I must admit I didn’t expect it to last so well! Actually, that just proves how little I know, no longer a surprise! I’m looking forward to knowing how those two in the background turned out!

This is one of the first wines that turned me on to classed growth Bordeaux, way back when. It’s always been beautiful right from release and has always made me wonder if 1999 was underrated. I really regret not having bought more on release, my bottles were all drunk up very quickly!

Also remember the price relative to quality being extremely reasonable on release, like $35…price elevation since has driven me away from Lynch Bages

3EEA723C-910D-462F-A7F4-173B7566CA13.jpeg
Had the ‘99 in Paris last November. Beautiful wine in a great drinking window right now.

I love Lynch Bages. The 1957 was my first “old Bordeaux” experience in the late 90’s. Also have had some awesome experiences with 1999 Bordeaux—though more on the right bank. I just haven’t loved this particular wine. I’m completely open to the idea that it will get better with time though! I think I have a couple more bottles. YMMV

Except the almost impenetrable 1999 Lafite, which was excellent but still relatively closed about ten years ago, all 1999s I’ve opened has always been beautiful right from the start. As a result, I too underestimated the aging potential of this vintage, but that changed when I opened a superb 1999 Rauzan-Gassies two years ago. Its density and surprising freshness suggested many years of highly rewarding drinking lie ahead.
Since then, I’ve opened a lot of delicious 1999s, which all have an astonishing aging potential: Kirwan, Palmer, Pontet Canet, Malescot St.Exupéry, Fontenil, Beau-Séjour Bécot, and Cassagne Haut-Canon La Truffiére, to name a few.