Riesling Study #1 - Atoboy

Some quick observations, and notes from Riesling Study #1 - Atoboy

But first some background…

When I heard that Rieslingfeier, my favorite wine event of the year, would be moving to an every other year format I decided to plan a smaller and more casual version to keep the spirit alive and frankly to do something for Stephen Bitterolf who has put so much energy into Rieslingfeier over the past 7 years.

My first call was to Atoboy one of my favorite restaurants and to my surprise they immediately said of course for you we will do it. With that I had committed to a full buyout for 64 people.

I first emailed ~10 people that I know are serious Riesling collectors and word began to spread and before you knew it I had over 100 people interested including three German winemakers!

On to the event…

Atoboy was absolutely outstanding to work with in every way! They developed a Riesling friendly menu that worked superbly with both dry and and sweet food:

Lotus Root - Dubu, Gim, Chili Oil
Shrimp and Pork - Gochujang, Sichan Pepper, Cilantro
Cod - Green Chili, Radish, Scallion
Fried Chicken - Spicey Peanut Butter, Gochujang
Cheese course

The food was perfect and I am still in awe at how despite a full buyout and the need to serve 64 people the food was just as good as a normal night. I heard nothing but raves for the food and pairings. I will try to post photos.

When we go to Atoboy on Sunday evenings they usually put on Hip Hop and they call it Hip Hop Sundays so we kept this theme. I created a Hip Hop influenced playlist and named every table after a great Hip Hop Album.

On to the wines…

I drank many great wines and given I was making sure everything was running smoothly took limited notes.

1990 Selbach-Oster Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese - Brought by Johannes Selbach and his daughter Hanna. Great vintage, impeccable storage resulted in just a stunning wine.

2013 Keller Hubacker - I decided to do a mini 2013 Keller Vertical. Hubacker was fantastic and interestingly half of our table prefered this to the Kirschpiel. The female half! I described this as having more bass.

2013 Keller Kirschpiel - Electric acidity. I preferred this. I described this as having more trebel.

2013 Keller G-Max - Easily the greatest young G-Max I have ever had. Exhilarating bottle right from the get go. And much more open than the 2012.

2012 Keller G-Max - Interestingly not as open as the 2013. Still a great bottle and one I wished I could have spent more time.

2004 Keller Hubacker - Wow. Love 04s and actually preferred this to a recent 04 G-Max

2001 Egon Muller Kabinett - Surprised at the lightness of this wine. It showed beautifully and paired well with the Lotus Root. Maybe 2001s are finally open??

2004 Prum Eiswein - A glorious bottle that was just so easy to drink.

2005 Egon Müller Spatlese Auction - I will remember vividly drinking this wine paired with Atoboy’s Fried Chicken for the rest of my life. Life affirming! A perfect wine!

2009 Emrich-Schobleber - A.de.L - This was opened late in the evening and it was a perfect wine to refresh the senses as it was just electric

1945 Franz Karl Schmitt Flächenhal TBA - WOW! Just wow to think about how difficult it must have been to focus on making wine at this time is just mesmerizing. Klaus-Peter Keller said this was made from the same vines that represent his Hipping parcel today. Needless to say I was so excited for this bottle and it delivered. I have one bottle left and hope to share it with Klaus-Peter.

Some fellow wineberserkers were in attendance and I hope they post some notes!

And finally I plan to host other Riesling Study events around the world. Not all will be this big. The next one will be at Ops Pizza on Sunday February 23rd. Tickets will be released on Wednesday. If you are interested in future events just send me a PM with your email and I will add you to the list.

We will also be conducting Riesling Study this Saturday (2/1) in Los Angeles at the Tribe Records event at Rappcats!

New Wines of Germany book just out.

Robert
Great food, great wines and amazing camaraderie and generosity of all involved. A big thank you to the staff at Atoboy who could not have n been more welcoming or helpful. And of course our somm Jhonnel who so expertly and professionally opened and curated our wines.
The 45 was really a special treat, thank you so much! Its Reddish golden color may have been a sign that this wine had some years on it, but on the nose and palate displaying neither its age or the hardships of 1945 - drank so well. First time I have had the pleasure to enjoy a wine that was born before I was!
A labor of love for you, I understand, but despite you protestations otherwise, a lot of time and effort went into this and I would like to think it was fully appreciated by all of us who had the good fortune to be part of Riesling Study#1. Thank You!!

Love Atoboy; love Riesling. Wish I could have been there!

Thank you so much for the kind words Len. I look forward to future events!

An incredible evening. I have been in meetings all week and have not had time to process my photos, but the picture of you behind the bottles with Herr Selbach at the side has generated a chorus of OMGs, Holy SH**, Where was my invitation and similar responses. I will clean up that photo and post along with a few others this weekend . . . and a good time was had by all.

Thanks Jay! So happy we could finally get some G-Max in you! Still going to open a bottle for you if the Jets and Bills ever play each other in the playoffs…

If anyone wants to be on my list for future events please PM with your email. Riesling Study # 2 - Ops a study in acid sold out in 18 hours!

I am currently planning Riesling Study events in Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Denver, San Francisco, London and LA! Plus more in NYC.

great night robert and well done
the restaurant staff did an amazing job
i thought i knew very little about riesling, i just underestimated how little i knew!!!
looks like i missed my opportunity for ops, but will see you somewhere soon, i’m sure
thanks, and cheers [cheers.gif]

Yes, thank you Robert for organizing an amazing evening.

While I mostly only tasted the wines at my table a few made their way from elsewhere.

My favorites of the night were probably the 1998 Muller Catoir Haardter Burgergarten Scheurebe Spatlese and the 2005 Egon Muller Schwarzhofberger Spatlese Auction.

Sentimental favorite was the 1989 Trimbach Clos Ste Hune ‘Hors Choix’ which is starting to decline but is still wonderful.

Lots and lots of other great bottles.

I would love to go to an event like this in LA if I’m available! Please keep us posted.

riesling2.jpg
I really hate cell phones. This would have been a nice photo with my real camera.

WOW…good job, Robert.

Yes, the 13s by KP are magnificent right now and with looong life ahead. Good to see that several members at this board had the chance to taste a good range of KELLER wines.