TN: 2015 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc

A whiff of struck match on the nose, with green apple and peach skin. On the palate this is electric, despite the vintage – tons of zingy acidity, lemon, and a hint of oak. Very much a mini-Meursault. As they say, Roulot is Roulot.
83488621_193768945351768_102723007696338944_n.jpg

Have you tried ’16?

Had a 1/2 bottle via coravin at Charlie Bird about 6 months ago… remember it being decent but nothing special and not worth the price. Asked others on the board a week or so ago and people seem to share that experience. Leagues below the '15 in quality.

Yep.
Though the '15 sounds great and on form. Thanks for the check in.

Happy to take one for the team [wink.gif]

Day 2 update: the acidity has integrated somewhat but is still very present. This has rounded out some and feels a bit fatter. The reduction has fully blown off the nose, but there is now an intriguing element of spice on the palate, reminiscent of cardamom and coriander. Still delicious. This is so far above Bourgogne level quality it isn’t even funny.

Swore I’d never try this again after I had the 16 a few months back but I can change my mind…

Try anything other than the 16 and you’ll get the hype.

I’m starting to find this is true for many producers. Obviously 14 is amazing for whites, but then 15 comes along and gets tons of press for being a great red vintage, while everyone glosses over the whites, likely b/c 14 was so good.

Then 16 comes along - tough vintage for many due to weather, but the crop size is small and the weather in late summer saves the vintage. People get jazzed about the 16 whites particularly. All along, the 15 whites, particularly the base wines, village and premier, are just gaining momentum. In my opinion, the 15 whites are undervalued and underappreciated.

Thanks for the TN.

Is it ready to drink or let it cellar for a while more?

I have a great number of 15 whites. I think some people wrote the vintage off as being too flabby, and there are definitely examples that are. However the whites that are not, from good producers, are quite excellent and find a good balance between richness and tension/acidity (like this bottle of Roulot).

You could hold onto this longer if you wanted to, no question, but it’s really delicious and complex even now.