1986 Ch Canon St Emilion

What a pleasant surprise this old magnum proved to be, with charcuterie, cavatelli and NY strip steak at a local Italian restaurant, a posto.

Very healthy fill at bottom neck and a quick decant. I believe this is 70 merlot/30 cab franc, which yielded a quite savory and earthy nose. My wife, whose nose is way better than mine, immediately announced “tobacco!” Also coffee, meat and blood. The fruit profile was a rather subdued compote, but the wine is not at all “stewed”. At the age of 34 the tannins have obviously mellowed, but plenty of grip remains. Long finish. In mag form this wine has plenty of life left.

This wine is manly and decidedly unsexy. I found this to be a refreshing antithesis of what is frequently derided as the modern gloopy St E. 93

Shared desserts were a treat as well with a bottle of 1988 Lafaurie-Peyraguey sauternes. Color of very light copper. Like the bordeaux, not at all a blockbuster, but rather a mellowing, honeyed, waxy elixir that just lingers on the palate. Sweetness receding. Classic pineapple and apricot fruit. Seems near the beginning of a long decline. 92

Nice. We had an 85 a while back. Magnum sounds like it held well

I got to try some of the 1986 Canon a few months ago and had a similar experience, though I think the ‘82 is a fair amount better. Also have enjoyed late 80’s L-P’s over the last couple of years which I find provide superb value.

On a similar note, I open 1978 Canon and Figeac last night to do a little comparison. Both better nose than palate, with relatively short finishes . The Canon was very elegant but a little restrained on the nose. The Figeac exploded out of the glass with tobacco, leather, smoke, cassis, and a hint of menthol. It would have merited at least a mid 90’s score if the palate came off better/younger/longer. I settled on 91 for the Canon and 93 for the Figeac.

Thanks for the note. I am sitting on two bottles of 82 Canon. Just waiting for the proper theme to pull them. But they are certainly calling me… champagne.gif

I like the exchange here. 82 Canon is the bomb.

Sitting on 85 and 70 Canon here and waiting for the proper theme to call me.

86 canon is my epiphany wine, so it will always have a special place in my heart. this thread makes me really want to try the 82 as well!

Canon is my favorite BDX. I would kill for the chance to taste an 82!

I remember Parker extolling the virtues of the 82 Canon in his initial report on the 82 Bordeaux vintage. Recent bottlings like 2016 and 2018 have received strong reviews as well. [cheers.gif]

It is wonderful that we can share experiences. I’m glad that you are open to communication

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.

Those old Figeacs are really delicious, with amazing longevity. But alas getting quite pricey…