TN: '14 M. Lafarge - Volnay - Vendanges Selectionnees

In tribute to Michel Lafarge, who died a week or so ago, someone brought the 2014 Lafarge - Volnay - Vendanges Selectionnees to our brown-bag group.

This was a puzzler at first, tasting it completely blindly. Relatively light in color (consistent with a Burgundy), with sour fruit hard candy scents on the nose, plus a little cinnamon spice (oak?). On the palate, it had a marked smokey note, with somewhat green tannins. It seemed like a wine from a very cool climate. Structurally (greenish tannins, light body, meager fruit) it reminded me of Bourgueil. Its spiciness suggested Ribera Sacra Mencia to me.
Eventually, I guessed a Spätburgunder because it was pinot-ish, but didn’t have the elegance of most Burgundy, and the cinnamon reminded me of the way some German pinots reflect their oak aging.
This was decanted for a relatively short time before we tasted it, and it seemed to flesh out in the glass in the brief time we spent with it. It had come into better balance when I retasted it three hours later. I’d guess this will develop nicely over the next five years or so, but will always benefit from some air time.

Perhaps a good reminder not to attempt 14’ reds right now. I’ve been trying to avoid anything in the 2011-2016 space.

Too true, I really respect the tasting note though.

I haven’t had enough to generalize, but I’d say that rule applies to this wine. I think it has a future.

Implying you are drinking 10’s? I’m surprised.
Honestly, I am guilty of the same, finding them still primary and delicious. I’ve seems some suggestions they are shutting down though.

Honestly, I love 2010 more than any other vintage of my buying lifeline (say 21st century). Full of both fruit and acidity, they are positively crystalline.

Sorry for the drift, John. Thanks for the note!

I have had some 15-16 lately that have still been drinking well and some village 13s.

thanks for the note on this one. I thought about opening one of these recently. glad I waited!

Avoiding 2011 because of vintage quality or current drinkability?

Have had some 14 villages that have been drinking very well IMO. A vintage I really enjoy.

That’s right, probably deserves a thread. Been having some shockingly good results with 10’ lately, even some grand cru’s. Though I’m not saying to crack your Roumier Bonne Mares, it seems to be a surprisingly precocious vintage.

Good question, it’s both. But more of a gut feeling that the vintage will play out similar to 04’ and many others that want 10+ years in bottle. Admittedly I haven’t been doing my own trials here but noticing notes come through my feed where the majority seem to want more time.

Hm, I have a decent stockpile of 10, maybe I’ll give some a shot. I managed to find a few bottles of Barthod Bons Batons; only opened one so far but it was amazing.