Eric Guido To Join Vinous

Just read that Eric Guido is replacing Ian D’Agata at Vinous. Congrats to Eric.

Congrats to Eric!

Dear Friends –

I am thrilled to announce that Eric Guido has joined Vinous in the role of Editor, responsible for reviewing the wines of Italy. I have admired Eric’s writing and unique take on wine for many years. His passion, intellectual curiosity and work ethic are second to none.

Eric will be based in our New York office. His tasting beat will include Montalcino and the many regions that comprise Northern, Central and Southern Italy, with the exception of Piedmont, Chianti Classico and Coastal/Central Tuscany, which I will continue to cover, as I always have.

Eric, who will be familiar to many subscribers for his insightful postings on YourSay, our subscriber forum, comes to Vinous from the Morrell Wine Group. For the last five years Eric held the position of Director of Wine and Marketing, where he was responsible for driving Morrell’s retail marketing campaigns, wine program, and authoring the highly acclaimed Morrell Holiday Catalog. Eric’s formal training in cooking and music round out his diverse personal interests.

Lastly, I would like to thank Ian D’Agata for his many contributions both to Vinous and Italian wine over what has been a brilliant career. Ian’s final article for Vinous will be his report on the 2015 Brunellos. We wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Please join me in welcoming Eric to Vinous. I am sure you are going to love his take on the vast, ever-changing landscape that Italian wine is today.

Antonio Galloni

Antonio Galloni sent out an email announcing Eric Guido as the new Italian wine critic (except for Piedmont, Chianti Classico and Coastal/Central Tuscany, which will continue to be covered by Antonio). He also indicated that Ian D’Agata will be leaving Vinous.

I really enjoy Ian’s writing and his encyclopedic knowledge of Italian wine. Plus he’s a very nice guy. Anyone know whether he plans to continue reviewing wine?

Huge loss for Vinous. Second to none on most Italian regions, very curious to see where Ian will be next. Nobody can fill those shoes.

You can say that again!

Congratulations to Eric.

Ian has reached a stage in his life where he doesn’t want to deal with deadlines and tasting hundreds and hundreds of wines. I can’t blame him. That day will come for all of us, sooner or later. Of course, we are sad to see Ian leave, but this is a tremendous opportunity for Eric to take a leadership role in Italian wine for a huge, global audience. And I know he is going to crush it. I could not be more excited for him. The right person is energized by challenges, the harder the better…that 's what it takes to win.

Thanks for chiming in.

Seriously? I would never tire of tasting hundreds and hundreds of wines!

It’s brutal

Big loss, Ian was one of the very best. Wish Eric well in the new position.

Tom

I cannot recall, probably because I’m not a big Italian wine buyer, but Eric Guido does post here, right? I’ve really enjoyed William Kelley’s level of involvement in our little community. He’s such a class act, with a gift for writing and a great palate. Any links to things Eric has written for those of us that are curious? I’ve seen many of his notes on CT.

Congrats to him.

Eric is a good friend and a passionate wino. He is meticulous and careful in his work. He’s going to be great in that spot.

That’s big praise coming from you, buddy. Cool.

Looking forward to Eric’s work! Follow him on CT already and have read many of his Morrell/Cellar Table blog articles.

I’m looking forward to Eric’s work in Vinous. Clearly a smart and passionate guy. Very curious if he POV will change on any wines when he no longer has the shackles of working for a major wine retailer.

Happy for Eric, perfect job for him. Since I first met him, well over decade ago, he has always been taking notes and focusing on wine.

Very best to Ian, and congrats to Eric. Look forward to reading what he has to say!

Cheers,
Doug

Thank you everyone for all of the kind words and support.

I’m very excited to be joining the Vinous team. Frankly, this is the realization of a goal that i’ve been working toward for over eight years. I can’t imagine a better place to be right now, or a group of more talented, professional and passionate wine writers to be working with.

I am also a huge fan of Ian’s work, and I have spent a great deal of time tasting and working alongside him. He was an inspiration to me. I would often look to him after an eight - ten hour day, working in the summer heat of a Piedmont tasting room, and there he would be, still going strong and giving 100% at all times. It’s amazing to watch him work, but also amazing to have had the pleasure of being able to speak with him personally about wine and producers–knowledge flows from him like a river. That said, I have every intention of working as hard as I can to continue the level and quality of coverage that Ian brought to Vinous, as well as add my own talents.

I’ve been a board member here for many, many years, and although I wasn’t always able to post frequently, I’ve always been an avid reader of the posts here and enjoy the input of its members. There is so much honesty, insight and wine knowledge to be found in this community, I have every intention to contribute more here.

Thank you again for all of your kind words. You guys are amazing.

The blog profile says “cyclist,” so you can’t be half bad. :wink: