Collecting wines not of the usual countries

The discussions on what to drink in the case of a 100% tax on European wine has got me thinking. Do you guys collect or semi collect (buying a few bottles to age) wines not from the usual suspects?

Are there producers or single wines from countries that aren’t the US, France, Germany, Italy and Spain that you collect? Perhaps include port there as well. Once upon a time Australian wines had a very good reputation, but what about South African top wines or wines from South America?

I know of a few producers that at least attempt to make ageworthy wines, and some that surely do, but I’m wondering if they’re collected by the contributors of this board and which wines are out there that I should start hunting.

For South America I would recommend Seña out of Chile. Its a collaborative venture between Viña Errázuriz and Robert Mondavi.

My consumption of Musar (Lebanon) will likely increase if there is a 100% tariff on EU wines. The white, red & rose are all excellent and singular in my mind.

I don’t “collect” them but I sure drink them - Hungary, although that’s included in the tariffs, Argentina, South Africa, New Zealand, Mexico, Chile, Uruguay, Australia.

I can’t say that I actively tend to seek them out, but I’m happy to taste something that looks interesting and lately we’ve actually had a few from Chile that weren’t too bad.

Most South American wines sold in the US are cheap and meant for current consumption. Certainly some of the high-end Argentinean wines sell, but I don’t think in large quantities.

South Africa never has carved out much of a market share in the US, which is a pity since there’s a lot of very interesting wine being made there, mostly at good prices. The US embargoed all South African products during apartheid, and I think the winemakers still suffer a bit from that. South African wines are more prominent on the shelves in Canada and the UK, I know, which did not boycott SA.

The demand for age-worthy Australian wines in the US was killed by the Wine Advocate’s overenthusiasm for a lot of the biggest, fattest shirazes. A lot of Americans bought them without tasting them, based on scores of 95 and up, and then found they didn’t like them. Australia wine doesn’t seem to have regained its footing in the US since. You don’t even hear much about Grange these days.

So, the short answer to your question, I think, is that there aren’t a lot of Americans buying wines from those areas to lay them down.

I can’t say I’ve ever had much of a collection, but I have sought out aged examples of Tokaji, Cabernet from Coonawarra and Margaret River, Clare Valley Riesling, Hunter Valley Semillon, and Assyrtiko from Santorini. Musar, too, as Kirk already mentioned, and Tahbilk’s Marsanne.

I mean if the issue is tariffs than why not the US? There are good age worthy wines made in in the US to buy. Otherwise sure Chile and Argentina are great sources, NZ too (not quite for cellaring as long but still)

The tariffs were the origin of the thought but I think I might be missing some gems out there and thought people on this board might know who they are. I recently had some amazing Catena Alta and Mount Mary and think there’s probably others that I’d love to try. As for the US there’s lots available and I do buy a few (Kutch, Arnot-Roberts, Sandhi, Stolpman etc) and the information on who to buy is to be found all over this board and other places, so I was wondering about a rather vague notion that there must be others and hoping for a treasure map to be provided here :slight_smile:

I have long had a soft spot for South African wines. They are usually amazing bargains if you are in South Africa. Outside they are not as competitively priced as they used to be. Wines that you might find in a US store that are worth trying are Spice Route, Thelema, Warwick, Hamilton Russell, and Ken Forrester. I see wines from these producers on US shelves from time to time. Next time I am in a wine store or a large wine selection in some of the local grocery stores, I will look and see what seem to be available. If you want to be more proactive, there are places that specialize in SA wines – Southern Hemisphere wines has both SA and Australian wines. https://www.southernwines.com/about.cfm. But as John alluded to above, most of the better SA wines don’t seem to make it into the US market.

I really enjoy Clos Apalta (and their 2nd wine) and Almaviva from Chile. They are new world in style and not for everyone, but I think they are very good.

ARGENTINA

Hervé Fabre’s “Fabre Montmayou” and “Viñalba” labels.

Michel Rolland’s “Clos de los Siete” label.

Both have produced some dynamite reds in the general vicinity of $12.99 to $17.99.

NEW ZEALAND

“The Crossings” Sauvignon Blanc has very wide distribution throughout the USA, and often doesn’t cost much more than $8.99.

SLOVENIA

Sadly, Slovenia appears to have joined the EU in 2004, so I guess both Colliano Peneca & Villa Brici [“Vinska Klet Goriska Brda”] will be hit by the tariff.

In addition to Assyrtiko, a fantastic white grape, I’d suggest Xinomavro, which can be an excellent red grape grown in Greece that can be reminiscent of Nebbiolo.

1 Like

+1 on Assyrtiko.
Also South African Chenin Blanc
And then there’s Canada. Chardonnay and Pinot Noir from Niagara and PEC, Syrah & Bordeaux varieties from Okanagan. And Icewine of course.

Ron, what do you think of Sadie’s wines? Expensive, but worth it?

I have not had many of Sadie’s wines. I had one many many years ago (I think around 2003 or 2004) in a lineup of WA syrahs. It was quite good as I recall, but I cannot remember more than that.

I would love to try more of his wines. I think he has been a real maverick – both in what he is planting and where. But I find that I have access to such good syrah here in the US (whether Cayuse and related labels) and French, that I don’t seek them out. I would be curious to hear what others think.

As a general matter, I really love some of the Cab/bordeaux blends from SA; much of their sauvignon blanc and semillon (particularly more cold climate versions like Cape Point); and as others have mentioned, chenin blanc (though my experience with chenin is more limited, and I do think the prices have risen as a result of the buzz, which might be warranted).

Ugh – and i just saw my typo – eluded versus alluded!

I was truly amazed by the wines from Lourens last year. Sold, and thus tasted, a few of his Blouklip Steen (chenin blanc). Ran out fast, but loved them enough to buy and drink some myself. Wonder if they’ll age?

I have loved the Sadies I have had, but haven’t had that many. A bit pricey, but might be worth it.

Also I think Adì Badenhorst makes excellent wines, but have loved his whites more than the reds.

Must admit to not having many syrahs or cabernets (blends or otherwise) from SA, mostly pinots and field blends of various types. Crystallum’s pinots have stood out.

South Africa, certainly. Mullineux is tops, and has started to become easier to find. But to reiterate John’s point, most of the best stuff never even makes it here.

Also Alheit Chenins (and Cartology blend) are outstanding . Small quantities, at least in Canada, though.

I agree on Mullineux. There really are some solid and even great wines coming out of South Africa. Raats is another one that is good and that I recently saw on some US online markets.

On a related note, I came across Cape Ardor recently. They seem to have direct relationships with some South African, Australian, and maybe New Zealand producers. Their prices are fine – better if you are a member of their club. The club requires about $600-700 a year in purchases (4 times a year at around 150-190 depending on the package you choose). Anyone have any experience with them? I am tempted, but have reached the point where I am more selective about the wine I buy – I tend to buy what I want rather than mystery wines or have new things sent to me (though I am far from perfect in sticking to this idea!).

I love Pinot Noirs from the Central Otago region of New Zealand. It is roughly the same parallel (45th) in the Southern Hemisphere as Oregon is in the Northern Hemisphere. They very much have some age worthy Pinots as well as ones that drink well right now.

Felton Road, Two Paddocks, Three Miners, Amisfield, Domain Road are some of my favs.

If in the EU but a non “traditional” region I personally like Austria between Wachau for whites and Burgenland for reds.