2011 Carlisle Zinfandel Russian River Valley, Montafi Ranch

Medium ruby color. Aromas show some subtlety and secondary character, but still have a lot of fresh pungency, with black raspberry and plenty of spice and briar. The palate offers excellent texture, with both richness and balance. The subtlety of 8 years of age is evident, but there is still something vividly grapy about it as well; the combination of subtlety and fresh power is riveting, this is superb wine; still young, with room for improvement but a total delight right now. On the label, the alcohol is 15.4% which tastes correct. Yes, I can feel it a little in the finish, but any lower and some exuberance might be lost, not a tradeoff I would make. Brilliant! Rated 95, up to 2 points of improvement possible. I think I have 2 bottles left, feels like 2 more years before I pop the next one.

Dan Kravitz

Feeling like this is going to last a few more years longer?

I burned thru these, might have a bottle left.

I think this is approaching peak, but I have so little experience with Carlisle wines. At 8 years, it is in a sweet spot between fresh exuberance and secondary subtlety. Kudos to Carlisle for their drinkability chart, which apparently lists every wine they have ever made! According to this chart, this bottle is at mid-point, suggested from 2017 - 2024. I happen to like wines older rather than younger, so I’m in no hurry for the next bottle. The winery agrees about the ‘no hurry’.

Dan Kravitz