TN: La Tache in Tucson

A great night in Tucson, with dinner prepared by Roger’s wife Diane.
Three couples (Nellans/Favre/England), great food, some terrific burgundy, and one interloping Bordeaux.

LA TACHE IN TUSCON - (1/17/2020)

• 1988 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut Collection - France, Champagne
    Sadly, flawed. Hopefully a one off for this newest release of Collection.
  • 2007 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Once again, the 07 Lafon Perrieres was drinking wonderfully. This vintage has it’s issues in white burgundy, but I’ve had great luck with this wine over the past year. Opened up well over the night, and definitely needed the air.
  • 2014 Jean-Claude Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru
    We drank the Batard and Bienvenues side by side, which was a beautiful pair. The Batard didn’t drink quite as well as an outstanding bottle last summer, but again showcased the joy of the vintage.
  • 2014 Jean-Claude Ramonet Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Simply outstanding, and for me bested the magnificent Batard served alongside. Looking forward to drinking this again in the near term.

• 1966 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru
    This pristine bottle was delicious. Like the other two, classic LT profile.
  • 1988 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru
    I simply love the 88 La Tache, and this bottle was no exception. Lovely, engaging, and beautifully spiced with leaf, tea, and soy. Ultimately my favorite of the trio.
  • 1989 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru
    While consistent stylistically with prior bottles, this 89 was the best bottle I’ve ever had. Drinking it slowly along side the 88 and 66 actually helped show it’s terroir, and kept it from competing. Provenance prevails once again!
  • 1949 Château Cheval Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Roger dug deep for this legend, and it delivered. A beautiful old bottle, which once again shows why we age Bordeaux. Beguiling and quite a treat.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice line up and great notes, Brad. I should have looked you up when I was in Tucson

Crazy how the 88 Collection bottle was flawed.

I’m just a part-timer (January and February). But hang out with Jon and Roger throughout the year as well!

Agree, it was weird. The cork was hard to pull out, but no “pop” when it came out, the champagne was flat and devoid of taste (like if a wine was corked), but not any noticeable TCA odor so we didn’t think corked (and yes, we’ve had corked champagne before). Like I said, hopefully a one off, as the first one of these I opened in October (same source) was great.

That is a truly outstanding group of wines Brad. Sounds like a great night.

Well done Brad.

Well done! Tucson is a wine Mecca… [worship.gif]

Here in Tucson.AZ as well.

Fun night! Can’t wait to try the Lafon again at some point as the rest are in a box that I had “found” recently (ie. bottom of a stack of boxes) - lol. Man, that was the only '66 I had - came from a great cellar apparently - I want to find more. Nothing like old burgundy which can’t be repeated enough… The '88 Tache continues to be such a beautiful bottle of wine! That '49 Cheval was just like drinking an old wine at that steak house in Tampa - cared for perfectly for decades by Dr. Musigny - thx Rog!

Wow. Thanks for sharing Brad. The LaPaulee Grand Dinner has nothing on you gentlemen…not to mention the superior quality of Diane’s cooking.

Nice to see Tuscon’s reputation remains unsurpassed. Sante!

RT

Is there a wine group in Tucson?