TN: 2012 Domaine Vincent Paris Cornas Granit 30 (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas)

I was well aware of this wine’s reputation as not the most Cornas-like Cornas out there and right on opening it indeed came across as soft and tame. Fortunately it became sturdier in the decanter and in the end I was quite happy with the wine’s performance. I would say that it is in a good place right now but might improve some and take on an even more savory flavor profile. I am probably not going to start buying it year in year out but it most certainly scratched my Northern Rhône Syrah itch and considering the modest price tag that’s perfectly good result. I guess I need to give its big brother Granit 60 and La Geynale a shot as well.

• 2012 Domaine Vincent Paris Cornas Granit 30 - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (19.1.2020)
    Decanted for 1h. The nose has it all: uncompromisingly black-toned with notes of ripe blackberry, damp leaves, bouillon, blood, olives, smoke and black pepper. Very authentic, expressive and attractive. On the palate medium-bodied and chewy with appropriate tannic grip. Not a bruiser by any means and some could even call this a lightweight by Cornas standards. That said fortunately there is nothing exactly modern about the palate as it is both savory and refreshing. The flavor profile while correct and tasty is fairly monotone which makes this not that thought provoking on its own but with the duck and roast potatoes it works very well. There is good grip on the finish which is clean and bright. An honest, well made bottle of Syrah, no doubt.

Posted from CellarTracker

Agree, I think the 30 is a nice bottling, which genuinely reflects N. Coast syrah. Some claim this is actually less true of the 60. The few I own I’ve been waiting on, so I can speak to that issue myself.

Not a fan of the 30 or 60 but the Geynale is pretty traditional to me, well, perhaps not so much the 2015 but that’s more the vintage. Different vineyards and I think 100% whole cluster in the Geynale. Geynale is very old vines he inherited from his uncle, Michel. The 30 and 60 definitely taste like Syrah but not necessarily like Cornas.

I think because this wine’s style is so well documented I did not approach it expecting a “proper” Cornas and as such I was not disappointed. I think better comparisons would be similarly priced St Jo or Crozes.

Definitely try the Geynale!

For sure if the opportunity presents itself. Right now I only see the 2017 and 2018 available - I suppose there would be not much point opening either anytime soon?

The 2016 Geynale was pretty enjoyable in June 2018. Obviously, it was quite young and not very developed, but highly enjoyable (tried a bottle to decide whether to buy).

-Al

Thanks, Al. I need to grab some 2016. It’s jumped up about $20 per bottle but it’s pretty killer vineyards.

Yeah, it seems that the 2016 vintage in the region is just overall awesome. Good data point anyway, thanks.

I’m curious as to what people think is not “Cornas” about these. They tend to be made in a rich, dark-fruited style as the original TN says. They are not bretty or “wild,” which Cornas sometimes is – true. But they aren’t influenced by new barriques. I don’t think they are at the very top level of the appellation and I agree with the original TN that the wines sometimes aren’t the most expressive, sometimes seem a bit closed.

When I read not typical I often infer overripe and overoaked modern style, which I do not think can really be said about Paris’ wines. I think they are pretty good values.

Well if one considers the archetype of Cornas to be a muscular and meaty vin de garde then this Granit 30 does not really fit that description all that well for it is merely medium-bodied and and very approachable at age 7 without the kind of depth and texture one might expect from a Cornas. Indeed structurally I find it more akin to a St. Jo or Crozes. I do agree with you that overripe, over oaked or modern this wine is not.