A.G. On 2017 And 2018 Napa Valley

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Michael S. Monie

A.G. On 2017 And 2018 Napa Valley

#1 Post by Michael S. Monie » January 17th, 2020, 2:01 pm

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer, down your pants." Chuckles The Clown

Eric S n y d e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: A.G. On 2017 And 2018 Napa Valley

#2 Post by Eric S n y d e r » January 17th, 2020, 3:35 pm

”But for writing reviews, tasting blind is a waste of time.”

[popcorn.gif]

Michael S. Monie

#3 Post by Michael S. Monie » January 18th, 2020, 4:57 pm

No one cares about Napa any longer?
"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer, down your pants." Chuckles The Clown

F.Daner

#4 Post by F.Daner » January 19th, 2020, 8:12 am

Interesting read and thanks for sharing. I happened to be there in October at the same time he was in town. I heard some of the same feedback he mentioned in the article about his personality. I tend to align to his palate so usually his reviews are pretty helpful for me. He also seems to have an incredible tasting memory.
Fred

Tom Lee

#5 Post by Tom Lee » January 20th, 2020, 10:56 am

Interesting that Schrader, Eisele and Maybach will no longer let him visit.

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee

GregT

#6 Post by GregT » January 20th, 2020, 11:23 am

Michael S. Monie wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Or maybe AG?
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by C. Keller » January 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Tom Lee wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 10:56 am

Tom
Realm as well
Chris

Matt A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Matt A » January 20th, 2020, 1:35 pm

C. Keller wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm
Tom Lee wrote:

Tom
Realm as well
Sorry if I missed it.
Why?

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by C. Keller » January 20th, 2020, 1:53 pm

assuming they didn't like scores he gave. Its provided in the context of the article about how wine critics earn their keep during tough vintages and when there are times that top estates just don't perform.

He did provide Realm scores in this latest article but I believe they were self sourced bottles. He's been playing up a retrospective article of their wines that he says will release soon. 2017 came from winery and 2016 were self sourced
Last edited by C. Keller on January 21st, 2020, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Hank Victor » January 20th, 2020, 2:01 pm

In one of his Levi Dalton podcasts he talks about how some producers don't let him taste anymore or visit due to his reviews and scores. He states that the integrity of the review and honesty to the readers is more important than being in good favor with the producers. He mentioned Giacosa won't let him back after the 08 or 09 write up he published and he just sources the bottles himself. I sensed some melancholy in his voice when he brought it up especially since earlier in the episode he talks about his love for Bruno's wines and the fact that he has been a buyer for decades.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

H V br1M@

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by John Morris » January 20th, 2020, 2:06 pm

For historical background, back in the 90s there were a number of Burgundy producers that wouldn't see Parker. (His Burgundy reviews were always kind of bizarre and hard to make sense of, and Faiveley -- with Hubert de Montille as its lawyer -- brought a defamation suit against Parker for suggesting that the winery might be sending inferior lots to the U.S.) That's one reason Parker hired his first additional critic, Pierre Rovani, who covered Burgundy for several years.

I never got the full story, but Bruno Giacosa wouldn't let Galloni visit a few years back. I think Galloni had panned one vintage. I dimly recall that he can no longer visit Aldo Conterno, either.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Andrew Demaree » January 20th, 2020, 2:50 pm

If a wine critic with whom my palate aligns pans a particular vintage from a winery, that’s helpful information to me as a consumer. If the winery finds that intolerable and cuts off access to the critic in future years, I probably wouldn't have much interest in continuing to purchase their wines.

I don’t think a critic’s job is to act as an advertiser for the producers whose products they review. I expect more even handed coverage than that, especially if I’m paying for it.

Steve Crawford

#13 Post by Steve Crawford » January 20th, 2020, 6:14 pm

i wasnt surprised about schrader or maybach or realm, but eisele made me scratch my head some.

Ian Dorin

#14 Post by Ian Dorin » January 21st, 2020, 5:00 am

C. Keller wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 1:53 pm
assuming they didn't like scores he gave. Its provided in the context of the article about how wine critics earn their keep during tough vintages and when there are times that top estates just don't perform.

He did provide Realm scores in this latest article but I believe they were self sourced bottles. He's been playing up a retrospective article of their wines that he says will release soon. All self sourced bottles based on some of the chatter I've seen on that board.
The Eisele one makes no sense. He gave massive scores to the 2015 and 2016, so what gives?

What I found most intriguing of the article was how much he learned from speaking with winery owners, and putting a spotlight on real live issues that exist in Napa. It's not a pretty picture. I have a lot of friends in Napa, and I hear these kinds of issues all the time, but I don't have the sounding board that Galloni does, and it's important to know. Great job by him on reporting. Maybe people shouldn't be so quick to "take their ball and go home" when Galloni comes to town.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Dennis Borczon » January 21st, 2020, 6:10 am

Wow, lots to digest here. The role of a wine critic is unique in a lot of ways. If you rate a restaurant, you go there, buy a meal, and write. Limited financial outlay. If you are denied access to many wineries, buying independently sourced bottles of wine to rate them can be costly, and influenced by the sources. Wine writers depend on access for information and to get the best material to rate. I do tend to agree that blind tasting is overrated, at least in the context of writing pro reviews. Honesty is still the greatest commodity in any critic, but if you cannot easily get the item you want to rate (barrel samples, component parts of a pre-release blend, production decision information) then your ability to accurately assess the product is diminished. Informed wine criticism is getting THE STORY, not just swishing and spitting and breaking down a flavor profile. Obviously for the wineries that cut off access, getting a full picture of the wine and its' production details is going to be impaired.

What rubs one a bit wrong about Galloni is the transparent grandiosity of his self assessment. Yes Antonio, Bob did want to anoint you as the next king, but we all know that he is not actually a deity. It seems he may be wrestling with the fact that wine critics just do not hold the influence they once did. The core audience for wine collecting may be actually diminishing, despite the obvious commodification of wine as a perceived precious metal and the ludicrous prices now commanded for this beverage. Perhaps this is what some producers are picking up?

Steve Crawford

#16 Post by Steve Crawford » January 21st, 2020, 6:15 am

agreed 100%.

galloni seems to be confused about the fact that while bob gave galloni his job of covering napa, he certainly did not give him his role.

Ian Dorin

#17 Post by Ian Dorin » January 21st, 2020, 6:25 am

Dennis Borczon wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 6:10 am
Honesty is still the greatest commodity in any critic, but if you cannot easily get the item you want to rate (barrel samples, component parts of a pre-release blend, production decision information) then your ability to accurately assess the product is diminished. Informed wine criticism is getting THE STORY, not just swishing and spitting and breaking down a flavor profile. Obviously for the wineries that cut off access, getting a full picture of the wine and its' production details is going to be impaired.
This. Great post.
Dennis Borczon wrote:
What rubs one a bit wrong about Galloni is the transparent grandiosity of his self assessment. Yes Antonio, Bob did want to anoint you as the next king, but we all know that he is not actually a deity. It seems he may be wrestling with the fact that wine critics just do not hold the influence they once did. The core audience for wine collecting may be actually diminishing, despite the obvious commodification of wine as a perceived precious metal and the ludicrous prices now commanded for this beverage. Perhaps this is what some producers are picking up?
This I don't agree with though. I don't think he feels anointed. I actually think it shows humility, especially coming of the comment about not being allowed to taste at some places. He describes his nervousness, and wanting to get it right, and absorb the process that made Bob successful.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by C. Keller » January 21st, 2020, 6:39 am

As follow up and clarification. AG said 2017 Realm came from the winery and 2016’s were self sourced from a friends cellar.
Chris

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by John Morris » January 21st, 2020, 6:57 am

Dennis Borczon wrote:
... If you rate a restaurant, you go there, buy a meal, and write. Limited financial outlay. If you are denied access to many wineries, buying independently sourced bottles of wine to rate them can be costly, and influenced by the sources. Wine writers depend on access for information and to get the best material to rate.
Historical footnote: In the early days of the Wine Advocate, when Ralph Nader was still his model, I believe Parker said he bought all his wines and didn't rely on free samples. Of course, in those days, he wasn't reviewing that many wines.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Ian Dorin

#20 Post by Ian Dorin » January 21st, 2020, 3:42 pm

John Morris wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 6:57 am
Dennis Borczon wrote:
... If you rate a restaurant, you go there, buy a meal, and write. Limited financial outlay. If you are denied access to many wineries, buying independently sourced bottles of wine to rate them can be costly, and influenced by the sources. Wine writers depend on access for information and to get the best material to rate.
Historical footnote: In the early days of the Wine Advocate, when Ralph Nader was still his model, I believe Parker said he bought all his wines and didn't rely on free samples. Of course, in those days, he wasn't reviewing that many wines.
Nor were there that many wineries in major regions worth rating, and that many countries making wine for the same distinction.
ITB

Zachy's

Chris Atkins

#21 Post by Chris Atkins » January 21st, 2020, 4:57 pm

Okay Schrader, Eisele, Maybach, and Realm. You're denying access to a professional wine critic because?? I am just curious what each these wineries found objectionable? and if anyone here would so kindly furnish any of these reviews which may be in question?

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Kirk.Grant » January 21st, 2020, 5:49 pm

Nice to see Dave Gregga in one of the photos. One of the first people I met through a wine forum...he's good people.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Howard Cooper » January 22nd, 2020, 5:13 am

Matt A wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 1:35 pm
C. Keller wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm
Tom Lee wrote:

Tom
Realm as well
Sorry if I missed it.
Why?
If a wine critic isn't banned from some wineries, the critic is not doing his job. If there is criticism to be had, I would criticize the wineries, not the critics. The critics are supposed to be providing honest evaluations of wines, not be cheerleaders for wineries.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Ian Dorin

#24 Post by Ian Dorin » January 22nd, 2020, 7:02 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 5:13 am
If a wine critic isn't banned from some wineries, the critic is not doing his job. If there is criticism to be had, I would criticize the wineries, not the critics. The critics are supposed to be providing honest evaluations of wines, not be cheerleaders for wineries.
There is a lot of wisdom in this!

I looked again, and the Eisele one simply makes no sense. He's clearly loving the changes, as he was head over heals for the 15 and 16 Estate Cab. Schrader he was giving love to, but it wasn't what Parker and Wine Spectator were giving them, so I don't see that as a real loss for either side. I have never had the 2010 Maybach wines, but I know that Galloni was quite critical of them. Maybe someone can speak to whether or not he was right? I can see Maybach disagreeing with him and asking him not to come any more.
ITB

Zachy's

Alex N

#25 Post by Alex N » January 22nd, 2020, 7:54 am

C. Keller wrote:

He did provide Realm scores in this latest article but I believe they were self sourced bottles. He's been playing up a retrospective article of their wines that he says will release soon. 2017 came from winery and 2016 were self sourced
I don't know how that works but being invited to a place like Schrader, sitting at a table with the winemaker or owner and saying something like, "yeah, I'm gonna give this one 88 points." for a cult $250 bottle of wine takes some cajones. At the same time, if that's how it works, the expectation or pressure to give a few extra points for that same scenario I'd imagine happens more often. I suppose if he's being that honest I'd rather read his reviews if I were an avid follower of reviews.
@13x N1ch•!z

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by John Morris » January 22nd, 2020, 8:04 am

Guys - All we have is Galloni's account, suggesting without explicitly stating that the wineries who banned him didn't like his scores. I have no idea what actually happened, but there might well be another side to the story. So you might pause before passing judgment on the winery owners.

Consider this:
Ian Dorin wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 5:00 am
The Eisele one makes no sense. He gave massive scores to the 2015 and 2016, so what gives?

Ian Dorin

#27 Post by Ian Dorin » January 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm

Alex N wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 7:54 am
C. Keller wrote:

I don't know how that works but being invited to a place like Schrader, sitting at a table with the winemaker or owner and saying something like, "yeah, I'm gonna give this one 88 points." for a cult $250 bottle of wine takes some cajones. At the same time, if that's how it works, the expectation or pressure to give a few extra points for that same scenario I'd imagine happens more often. I suppose if he's being that honest I'd rather read his reviews if I were an avid follower of reviews.
Not Schrader, but their are $250 "cult wines" that do deserve 88, and I've had some that warrant a 78. I think you would get a lot to agree here.
ITB

Zachy's

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by John Morris » January 22nd, 2020, 12:33 pm

But how many have received such scores from critics?

Johan R

#29 Post by Johan R » January 22nd, 2020, 12:54 pm

Phil Restine wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 12:35 pm
And let’s talk about the elephant in the room, he does not write well.
”It’s as simple as that” you mean?
R I C K F O R S

Alex N

#30 Post by Alex N » January 22nd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Ian Dorin wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm
Alex N wrote:
C. Keller wrote:

Not Schrader, but their are $250 "cult wines" that do deserve 88, and I've had some that warrant a 78. I think you would get a lot to agree here.
I'm with you on that for sure, but I'm referring to the setting. It's like telling someone who invited you into their home for dinner that their lasagna is a 88/100. It's not going to happen. Seems critics can be less biased with these types of wines if they're tasted and scored in the same type of setting (without the winemaker/owner/rep etc present and in a more neutral location).
@13x N1ch•!z

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Howard Cooper » January 22nd, 2020, 3:13 pm

Alex N wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 2:33 pm
Ian Dorin wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm
Alex N wrote:

I'm with you on that for sure, but I'm referring to the setting. It's like telling someone who invited you into their home for dinner that their lasagna is a 88/100. It's not going to happen. Seems critics can be less biased with these types of wines if they're tasted and scored in the same type of setting (without the winemaker/owner/rep etc present and in a more neutral location).
Why would you pay money for wine reviews where the reviewer could not provide an honest review because he tasted the wine at the winery?
Howard

Antonio Galloni

#32 Post by Antonio Galloni » January 22nd, 2020, 3:18 pm

Phil Restine wrote:
The reason these producers don’t submit there wines to AG anymore isn’t about the scores, and has everything to do about their interactions with him. I’ve done his overpriced and overhyped festa de deez nuts before and left genuinely disappointed in AG. I felt he was pompous (as do many earnest Piedmonte and California producers). A wine maker like Ted Lemon or a somm like Laura Maniec leave more knowledge about wine in their coffee cup in the morning than all of AG’s, but he would lead you to believe otherwise. And let’s talk about the elephant in the room, he does not write well.
Dear Phil - My job is to review wines and give our readers candid assessments of those wines. Sure, there are times I would rather shoot the breeze and talk about Champagne, Italian wines, music and other topics winemakers ask me about. I think what people call 'palate fatigue' is more accurately described as 'mental fatigue.' Am I focused and concentrated when I taste with a winemaker? You are damn right I am. On top to that, I am also directly responsible for running a business and safeguarding the financial well being of our employees and their families. Only an entrepreneur or person in a similar job can understand what that entails. If you are running a company, well, you better be pretty serious about that, too. It's as simple as that...

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Wes Barton » January 22nd, 2020, 4:03 pm

John Morris wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 8:04 am
Guys - All we have is Galloni's account, suggesting without explicitly stating that the wineries who banned him didn't like his scores. I have no idea what actually happened, but there might well be another side to the story. So you might pause before passing judgment on the winery owners.

Consider this:
Ian Dorin wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 5:00 am
Maybe it doesn't fit their business model. That would mean they stopped submitting their wines to all critics. Maybe someone can look into that. No idea, but they do sell a majority of their wine in Europe, notably France. The release price is far above what they expected. It seems like the pieces are there to surmise, correctly or not, that there's only downside risk to submitting.

There certainly are successful wineries who don't submit to anyone for ratings.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

blarmston

#34 Post by blarmston » January 22nd, 2020, 4:19 pm

I love it- this dude Phil runs his mouth from behind the safety of his keyboard, and AG comes on to check him.

Phil- what are you going to do? Care to reply? Or slink away?
#GettingMyPopcornReady
#MyBetIsTheLatter
-Brian Armston

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by mike pobega » January 22nd, 2020, 4:33 pm

Ian Dorin wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 7:02 am
Howard Cooper wrote:

I looked again, and the Eisele one simply makes no sense. He's clearly loving the changes, as he was head over heals for the 15 and 16 Estate Cab. Schrader he was giving love to, but it wasn't what Parker and Wine Spectator were giving them, so I don't see that as a real loss for either side. I have never had the 2010 Maybach wines, but I know that Galloni was quite critical of them. Maybe someone can speak to whether or not he was right? I can see Maybach disagreeing with him and asking him not to come any more.
When Antonio was our guest at CLONYC 35 he had stated that he believed the samplings to be from off bottles/previously opened too long bottles, which in itself was weird. It seemed a timing thing. I was able to get Chris Maybach to send some 2010s and Antonio (as well as many at table) seemed to feel like they showed great, like totally different wines actually (his words). Interesting to see his reaction. I think whatever happened between him and Maybach was well after this 2010 episode. Just my 3 cents (BTW, he LOVED the 2011 Maybach Materium strawman )

https://clonyc.blogspot.com/2013/01/clo ... inner.html

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Scott Jameson » January 22nd, 2020, 5:33 pm

mike pobega wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 4:33 pm

When Antonio was our guest at CLONYC 35 he had stated that he believed the samplings to be from off bottles/previously opened too long bottles, which in itself was weird. It seemed a timing thing. I was able to get Chris Maybach to send some 2010s and Antonio (as well as many at table) seemed to feel like they showed great, like totally different wines actually (his words). Interesting to see his reaction. I think whatever happened between him and Maybach was well after this 2010 episode. Just my 3 cents (BTW, he LOVED the 2011 Maybach Materium strawman )

2011 Maybach ? Isn't that the vintage when we got the little ceramic cup ?

Jim Clary
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Jim Clary » January 22nd, 2020, 5:48 pm

Phil Restine wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm
blarmston wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 4:19 pm
I love it- this dude Phil runs his mouth from behind the safety of his keyboard, and AG comes on to check him.

Phil- what are you going to do? Care to reply? Or slink away?
#GettingMyPopcornReady
#MyBetIsTheLatter
I’m here Brian, come get some son!
You consistently remind me of the famous phrase “when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.”
Jim Clary

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by mike pobega » January 22nd, 2020, 5:49 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 5:33 pm
mike pobega wrote:

2011 Maybach ? Isn't that the vintage when we got the little ceramic cup ?
Exactly. :)

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Scott Watkins » January 22nd, 2020, 5:51 pm

Phil Restine wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 5:39 pm
Antonio Galloni wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 3:18 pm
Phil Restine wrote:
The reason these producers don’t submit there wines to AG anymore isn’t about the scores, and has everything to do about their interactions with him. I’ve done his overpriced and overhyped festa de deez nuts before and left genuinely disappointed in AG. I felt he was pompous (as do many earnest Piedmonte and California producers). A wine maker like Ted Lemon or a somm like Laura Maniec leave more knowledge about wine in their coffee cup in the morning than all of AG’s, but he would lead you to believe otherwise. And let’s talk about the elephant in the room, he does not write well.
Dear Phil - My job is to review wines and give our readers candid assessments of those wines. Sure, there are times I would rather shoot the breeze and talk about Champagne, Italian wines, music and other topics winemakers ask me about. I think what people call 'palate fatigue' is more accurately described as 'mental fatigue.' Am I focused and concentrated when I taste with a winemaker? You are damn right I am. On top to that, I am also directly responsible for running a business and safeguarding the financial well being of our employees and their families. Only an entrepreneur or person in a similar job can understand what that entails. If you are running a company, well, you better be pretty serious about that, too. It's as simple as that...
If safeguarding the financial well being of your employees was a concern, you probably shouldn’t have bought that hot garbage “Delectable,” even if it was for pennies on the dollar.. [bow.gif] I kid, I kid!

My advice Antonio, is to lighten up. It’s wine. Its sole purpose is to bring people joy. If you’re too ‘in the zone’ to relax and shoot the shit with the people who are making the stuff for a living and enjoying yourself, you’re doing it wrong.

Maybe add Northern California cannabis to your tasting beat?
I'm trying my best to figure out why he would need or want your advice?
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Scott Watkins » January 22nd, 2020, 6:09 pm

Phil Restine wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 5:56 pm
Scott Watkins wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 5:51 pm
Phil Restine wrote:

If safeguarding the financial well being of your employees was a concern, you probably shouldn’t have bought that hot garbage “Delectable,” even if it was for pennies on the dollar.. [bow.gif] I kid, I kid!

My advice Antonio, is to lighten up. It’s wine. Its sole purpose is to bring people joy. If you’re too ‘in the zone’ to relax and shoot the shit with the people who are making the stuff for a living and enjoying yourself, you’re doing it wrong.

I'm trying my best to figure out why he would need or want your advice?
Well over the past 10 years we have seen the number of critics behind a pay wall increase exponentially and they’re all chasing a decreasing readership pool since the under 35 year old consumer mostly rejects the old guard of wine criticism. If the dude isn’t having fun and enjoying every moment and every connection, he should probably take my advice... because it isn’t going to last forever.
So you feel your advice could help his company prosper and make his personal life more enjoyable?
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Alan Rath » January 22nd, 2020, 6:13 pm

If I were Todd, I'd delete that last few posts, and ban Mr. Restine. Exactly the kind of BS we don't need here. I don't expect Galloni to spend a lot of time here, but I'd like him to feel like he's welcome when he does.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

AndyK

#42 Post by AndyK » January 22nd, 2020, 6:21 pm

^ What Alan said.
k0berl

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Alan Newman » January 22nd, 2020, 6:30 pm

Phil Restine wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 5:56 pm
Well over the past 10 years we have seen the number of critics behind a pay wall increase exponentially and they’re all chasing a decreasing readership pool since the under 35 year old consumer mostly rejects the old guard of wine criticism.
If I don't like or need what is behind a paywall, I don't pay for it.

Personally, I pay for Vinous.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Howard Cooper » January 22nd, 2020, 6:32 pm

Phil Restine wrote:
Antonio Galloni wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 3:18 pm
Phil Restine wrote:

Maybe you should apologize to Mr. Galloni for series of unnecessarily obnoxious posts and then leave this thread. Not a great way to introduce yourself to this board.
Last edited by Howard Cooper on January 22nd, 2020, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

Michael S. Monie

#45 Post by Michael S. Monie » January 22nd, 2020, 6:32 pm

GregT wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 11:23 am
Michael S. Monie wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Or maybe AG?
It would appear: little interest in Napa, but plenty of interest in AG.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by JDavisRoby » January 22nd, 2020, 6:45 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 6:13 pm
If I were Todd, I'd delete that last few posts, and ban Mr. Restine. Exactly the kind of BS we don't need here. I don't expect Galloni to spend a lot of time here, but I'd like him to feel like he's welcome when he does.
Delete these posts if you want but the other fifteen or so posts he’s made are pure comedic gold.
Joshu@

Ian Dorin

#47 Post by Ian Dorin » January 23rd, 2020, 4:50 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 6:45 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
Delete these posts if you want but the other fifteen or so posts he’s made are pure comedic gold.
Not to derail the thread, but always post that you are comfortable with the person you are writing about reading it. If you have a point to make and it's a strong criticism, be prepared to defend it to the end. Otherwise, don't poke the bear.
mike pobega wrote:
Ian Dorin wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 7:02 am
Howard Cooper wrote:

<a class="vglnk" href="https://clonyc.blogspot.com/2013/01/clo ... inner.html" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>clonyc</span><span>.</span><span>blogspot</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>2013</span><span>/</span><span>01</span><span>/</span><span>clonyc</span><span>-</span><span>35</span><span>-</span><span>antonio</span><span>-</span><span>galloni</span><span>-</span><span>has</span><span>-</span><span>dinner</span><span>.</span><span>html</span></a>

Thanks Mike!
ITB

Zachy's

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#48 Post by larry schaffer » January 23rd, 2020, 8:47 am

I finally had a chance to read this piece and it was interesting and illuminating. I found Antonio's desire to dedicate the piece to Bob a nice touch indeed - to me, it showed more humility than anything else. So few understand that we are who we are because of the paths that others have created for us. Period. Without Bob, Antonio would not have had the contacts, or confidence, to review the Napa wines that he does.

As far as blind tasting goes, he's not the only one who shares the belief that for his reviewing purposes, blind tasting is not the way to go. Context is so important when tasting wines, and it's impossible to have that in a blind setting. The challenge, of course, is still maintaining a sense of 'objectiveness' during tastings in certain settings with winemakers, for instance, and to me, that still raises 'potential red flags'.

As far as certain producers not wanting to open their doors or submit their wines to a specific reviewer - happens all of the time. And on the flip side, some reviewers come to specific regions and do not invite all producers to have their wines tasted, so in a sense it goes both ways. It is a bummer if you are trying to get a truly 'comprehensive' look at a region. And there are many cases where wineries will submit to one reviewer over another 'knowing their palate' and assuming that one might review their wines 'more favorably' than another. That to me is pretty fascinating.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Brandon R » January 23rd, 2020, 9:33 am

Alan Rath wrote:
I totally agree, Alan, and it appears it's been done.
B. Redman

Dan_Fusco

#50 Post by Dan_Fusco » January 23rd, 2020, 9:39 am

[/quote]

Alex you hit the nail on the head and its the exact reason whey the scoring system is so flawed. I feel like a certain few critics will throw a 97+ rating on every bottle they try and it really takes away from those bottles that are truly perfect 100 pointers. It takes someone with a backbone to sit in front of the wine maker, owner, etc. and tell them their product isn't up to snuff, which I feel like AG isn't afraid to do and is why I like his reviews.

Return to “Wine Talk”