Top three white Burgundy producers in your cellar

For me it is

Ramonet
Bernard Moreau
Bouchard Pere

My numbers for each of these are much lower than for my top red Burgundy producers, which makes sense as I do not want to hold white Burgundies for long periods anymore.

PYCM (by far)
Louis Michel
Ramonet

I have very little white burg relative to red too, maybe 10 cases total with more than half of that Bourgogne or 1er Chablis for early drinking.

PYCM
Dancer
Ramonet/Dublere

PYCM
Dauvissat
Roulot

Have been attempting to increase the amount of Ramonet in my cellar but it is not yet top 3

Have been hearing a lot about Bernard Moreau as of late but haven’t gotten around to trying any of the wines. Are there any bottlings in particular that you think are a good introduction to the house style?

Inventory isn’t very current, but my best guess is that it is Domaine Leflaive, Niellon, and either Ramonet or PYCM depending upon how much of my older Ramonet stash I’ve burned through. I only bought PYCM this year from those four. When C&E changed distribution, I lost Niellon and Ramonet in my market. Leflaive prices have continued to rise, leaving me largely on the sideline there.

Cheers,
fred

Dauvissat
de Montille
Arnaud Ente

Bouchard will soon overtake Ente as Ente has become more difficult and expensive for me to source.

PYCM
Henri Boillot
Domaine Leflaive

RT

Raveneau
Henri Boillot (almost all Clos de la Mouchere)
Niellon/Ramonet (tied)

Roulot
Boillot
Raveneau a distant third

The style is incisive, concentrated and elegantly textural. There’s an I’ll Drink To That podcast with Alex Moreau if you want to take a deep dive. My latest blurb accompanying my TWA tasting notes is as follows:

“What are the rudiments of this 14-hectare estate’s success? As I wrote last year, the domaine represents a loose division of labor between two brothers: Benoit, who concerns himself with the vineyards, and Alex, who oversees the cellar. In the vineyard, they use only organic fertilizers and no pesticides. In the cellar, Alex Moreau appreciates long fermentations and extended sur lie élevage without stirring, the wines finishing their maturation in stainless steel where they generally see a light fining. New oak, largely from François Frères, is judiciously chosen. Beautifully balanced and differentiated by site, these are some of the most compelling white Burgundies being made today, and I once again warmly recommend them to readers.”

My money is where my mouth is, as Moreau is my largest holding in white Burgundy.

Top three by volume in my cellar are Moreau, Ramonet and Raveneau.

1 Like

Thanks for the color William, insightful as always. Sounds like I’ll have to pick up some as soon as I have the chance.

Quantities aren’t as high as I’d like.

PYCM
Billaud-Simon
Jadot

I’ve had the Pousse Santenay and the Chevillon white NSG, but surprising choices

For me
Drouhin/Laguiche
Jadot
Francois Carillon

but numbers are low, just too risky. Old days would have been Matrot and Pernot, but burned by pox

Chock it up to poor reading comprehension and a recent eye injury (now on the mend). I’ve reshuffled for Whites!

RT

I don’t think you’ll regret it!

A brief resumé of the styles of their main 1er crus may be helpful:

• Vergers: lowest pH, most chiseled but not so austere it doesn’t show well young, 12 drinks well now for example
  • Chenevottes: the most exotic and honeyed, as is often the case with this site, planted with very old vines that give low yields, the grapes turn golden fast
  • Maltroie: a nice balance between texture of Chenvottes and cut of Vergers
  • Clos Saint-Jean: not far from Vergers on the slope, lively but expressive young, this drinks the soonest of all the 1er crus
  • Grandes Ruchottes: textural and muscular, some very old vines here, needs a decade of bottle age
  • Cardeuse: monopole in red since 1952, from the southern end of Moregot, a contender for the title of best red Chassagne being made

how does the grand ruchottes compare to the ramonet version?

Also, thoughts on H. Boillot?

There are some similarities but it’s arguably a somewhat more muscular, introverted wine than recent releases from Ramonet, which have been quite demonstrative especially in the warm years. I have six of each producer’s rendition every year since 2012 so at some point I will start doing them side by side.

The Boillot whites are great, and I tend to agree with Allen’s effusive praise, though I know some friends who have been badly burnt by premox. Interestingly, Boillot started out as famous for the reds, and I have some Volnays from the 60s and 70s in my cellar from them that are magical wines. Most recently, 78 Volnay was simply stunning.

Fevre
Raveneau
Dauvissat

I had an 07 mouchere premox last year :frowning: