Nice article by the San Francisco Chronicle's Esther Mobley on West Berkeley wineries

Nice article on West Berkeley wineries by Esther Mobley of the San Francisco Chronicle. She notes a couple of earlier winery tenants at the 805 Camelia Street location that’s been at the center of commercial winemaking in the area for over 40 years. Now home to Lusu, Whistler, and Cary Q., the article notes that Edmunds St. John and Fretter Wine Cellars (misidentified in the article as Leaky Lake Cellars) made wine there, and there have been other wineries there as well over the years, including Grapeleaf Cellars, Eno Wines, and Harrington Wines. Broc Cellars was also in that space for several years before moving to their current location just over a block away.

West Berkeley wineries

Although the title of the article is “West Berkeley just became California’s hub for natural wine”, the second paragraph (below) more accurately describes these wineries - there’s actually a good deal of diversity in both their styles and their wine offerings.

In a one-block radius – Gilman Street to the north, Camelia Street to the south, Fourth Street to the east, Fifth Street to the west – there are now six wineries, all with open tasting rooms, all making wine at the natural, or at least natural-ish, end of the spectrum.

I heard the other day that the somm at A16 in Oakland (Noah, if I recall his name, apologize if I got it wrong) was making wine there also. Of course, I forgot the name of his winery–may head down to A16 this evening to try to clear up the facts…

Love me some Lusu!

RE: Grapeleaf Cellars, Eno Wines, and Harrington Wines…

One name missing is Ladd Cellars (Eric Lundblad). All sharing same building at the time.

Good catch, Greg. Yes, Eric started out there for his first vintage or two.

Travis Fretter’s 1970s-early ‘80s winery at 805 Camelia Street, along with Peter Brehm’s Wine and the People about a mile away, launched modern commercial winemaking in Berkeley. Steve Edmunds started Edmunds St. John at the Camelia Street location in the mid-1980s.