TN: 2012 Bruno Clair Morey-Saint-Denis En la Rue de Vergy Blanc

Oh man, this is good. A beautiful golden color but no signs of premox. On the riper side of White Burgundy, waxy with roasted hazelnuts on the nose. Full and round on the palate. Tons of beeswax, honeysuckle, and a touch of lemon curd. Drinking really well right now – I see no reason to hold this any longer. A very unique wine. Have been loving these CdN whites as of late.

Thanks for the note! Sounds really intriguing and I happen to know a retailer with a wide selection of Clair’s wines but the pricing gives me a pause. Do you think the value is there at 67 € a bottle?

In my opinion absolutely, that’s about what I paid for them in the US.

Awesome, thanks.

The vineyard Weinlagen

Yes, right next to Clos de Tart, Clos des Lambrays and Bonnes Mares. The village classification of Rue de Vergy belies the quality of the wines IMO.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had his red from there and enjoyed it, but never the white. Great TN, thanks Jason.

maluhia

Mike

Looks like this vineyard has little soil, almost all limestone on upper slopes. Probably not too bad for chardonnay in a hotter year. Interesting that there must be some white interplanted with pinot noir as winelagen identifies this as a pinot noir vineyard.

Yes, as Mike indicated above Bruno Clair produces both a white and a red wine from the vineyard. Fairly certain all other bottlings are pinot but I could be wrong.

The shape of the vineyard is quite interesting. I’ll stop there.

Got a few Bruno’s on order. I’m going to see if I can get a bottle of this.

I added Chardonnay