TNs: Rhys tasting....Alpine and Horseshoe 2016, 2015, 2012, 2010 and 2008

Here is a summation of the event we did yesterday. I was able to retaste about 1/2 the wines again today, as some of the bottles didn’t go home with the Berserkers when they said goodbye last night. So, some of the TNs below will have more depth, as I was able to get after the wines again this afternoon to check on them with a full 24 hours of air. Of note, and I say this because to me this is salient for my own notes, I clearly do better work when I can taste wines over a spectrum of time and develop a full view into the wine’s expression. To me, this is how you can asses the craft, slowly and with time and thought to really see what is in the glass. I just can’t sit down and do 20, 30 wine anymore, nor do I like the idea of it for appraising wines.

The other thing I dug about yesterday is we started at 1PM. To be sitting at my dining room table in the afternoon, in the midst of doing Alpine and Horseshoe blind, with a bunch of Wine Berserker and Falltacular palates, was bitchen. We kept the table small, just 8 of us, we flighted everything single blind (which is how I mostly taste now when more than one wine is in the mix), and we have the cool benefit of doing this in the daylight. I’m intrigued and moved by this idea of daytime tastings and I’ll likely move the next one to Noon, to really get the advantage of doing the entire next event during the day. My senses are more tuned in, I just dug the premise.

As for some high level conclusions, aside from the detailed notes below–and I hope those at the table last night will invest the time to post some impressions here–I note the following:

Blanc de Blancs sparkler. A mixed review from my POV. Let’s see what the subsequent releases look like but if we’re in the $80 price tag, I want the wine to see the project improve in complexity. There is a lot of really bad-ass Champagne/Bubbly available now, that is farmed with care and without chemical BS, in the 50-80 dollar range. If Rhys is going to compete, they will want to ratchet up what’s in the final product.

Vintages. The 2015 is tight, and we did listen to Kevin Harvey when he recommenced we D/Q the 2014s from the lineup, which we replaced with the 2010s, which was smart. We did press on against his advice and do the 2015s, which were tight. I did notice the Horseshoe loosened up today, but the Alpine is still coiled pretty tight. The 2010s seems pretty accessible now, and the 2012s are drinking beautifully, with a long ways to go. The 2008s were revealing for the power and aging finesse they are showing–these are bitchen wines. Vintage does matter.

Alpine versus Horseshoe. It’s gonna depend on what you like. Alpine seems more stuffed and sexy to me, whereas Horseshoe is more linear, more savory. Vintage also makes a difference but I do see the vineyards diverging across what you want in Pinot Noir. I did prefer Horseshoe in a couple vintages, yet Alpine in others. The conclusion for me is to keep buying both, and in multiple bottles, as these for me are where I want to keep exploring Rhys. I can only drink and buy so much still wine every year and so my approach will stay with the focus and support of these two plots going forward, with perhaps a sprinkling of Porkie Hill.

Blah blah…I hope you enjoy these notes and thanks for reading.

RHYS @ MY PLACE–PART 5 - My House In The South OC (1/12/2020)

This is the continuation of the Rhys series at my house. For Part 5, I made an intention to keep the event small. The difference is that when we did the most recent iteration of this series back in October, we had about 30 bottles open, mainly 2013 vintage, but we had about 25 people in attendance. Last night, we put an intention to keep the table small, so we had just 8 of us, working through flights of mainly two wines, with a focused look at Alpine and Horseshoe. We did mix in a Swan Terrace for kicks but mainly this was about Alpine and Shoe. We also took a look at the new Blanc de Blancs, and we had a few extra non-Rhys things in our glasses, too. Finally we had Maison in Dana Point cater the food, which worked out well, and served as another affirming test of the restaurant who will be our Friday night Falltacular venue when we buy out the restaurant next month. Overall, a great evening and thanks to the group who attended last night, as we mixed in half of the group who mainly financed the cost of the wines, again the other half of the group who curated the wines from their cellars. This is how you bring people together and make things work with the power of collaboration.

• 2007 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année Rosé - France, Champagne
    This was generously brought by Bob H to our Rhys tasting yesterday, and while we did taste it and the new Rhys Bearwallow BdB side by side, there was no intent to measure either wine against the other. So, take my note here as a bonus to the Rhys BdB, which I will post on separately. According the Bollinger website (as the back label of the bottle was covered with the importer sticker), the wine is roughly 3/4 Pinot Noir and 1/4 Chardonnay, with 7 g/l dosage. The color yesterday (and today) is the subtlest of peach and light copper. Like yesterday, the wine today (which is mostly still now) shows a beautiful balance, an elegance. Tangy red fruits, some blood orange/grapefruit acidity, green apple. I just find the wine lithe and balanced, yet with complexity and flavors. My first go with this cuvee and it’s spot on delicious. I wonder what the 2008 will taste like, and it doesn’t appear it has been released yet but I’d seek this out for a great vintage like 2008 if the wine can taste this good in 2007.
  • 2015 Rhys Blancs de Blancs Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    My first bottle of two that I bought. I have been eager to try this wine, to see how the Rhys sparkling project was coming along. In addition, I am aware of the early mixed reviews on this so my intent was to block out that distraction and assess the wine for what it is. I also realize there is some bias danger here, both because I dig the Rhys wines big-time, and I also buy and drink a lot of true Champagne so the additional effort to stay transparent and fair in my own assessment here is top of mind. I tasted this wine in two stages. The first yesterday, during our Rhys tasting event at my house, using this wine as the opener for the event. My notes yesterday say steely nose, green sour apple, honeyed stone fruit and pear, and a perception that I was drinking Berarwallow Chard with bubbles, but not a wine that used Bearwallow fruit to create a sparkler. My point is that the wine yesterday seemed more like a still wine that had bubbles added rather than a wine that was seeking to express a total experience, integrating fruit and bubbles to create something more than its parts. Fast forward then to today, the wine is mostly still from the few ounces left in the bottle. Aromatically, I still dig that part of the wine, as poured blind, you could fool me this wasn’t from Avize or Vertus. Tasting the wine, I do find the wine to be lacking in complexity, today expressing an apple sauce core with a good dollop of honey mixed in, along with oranges and green apple. For me, this doesn’t remind me of the sparkling I want to drink, as it does translate to something that is perceptibly sweet. So, while I like the aromatic, I find the palate lacking in compleicity. Knowing the winery, this is a work in process, and for context, damn this is their first try. But for those who want yet another honest opinion, you now have mine.

• 2016 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    I last tasted this wine during my winery visit to Rhys in the summer of 2018. I gushed about the wine in my tasting note from that visit, as the wine really wowed me. So, as part of our Rhys event here at the house yesterday, we paired this Alpine with the 2016 Horseshoe. Listed ABV is 12.7%. My notes from our tasting yesterday for the Alpine say pear, dried pineapple, yellow apple and some toasted vanilla oak on the nose. Finishes with citrus peel, spicy apple and less chiseled than the Horseshoe, with the Alpine being more showy and approachable. Retasting today from the bottle I stick in the fridge overnight, some off the new oak is still seasoning the aroma but it’s complementary, not distracting (and for what it’s worth, the oak here seems more in play than the Horseshoe, which to me showed virtually none). The structure in the Alpine here is a bit less overt than the Horseshoe, with the Alpine just richer in tone, with a light lemon curd note today, along with zesty lime and a lick of mineral in the finish. Overall, the Alpine has similar acidity to the Horseshoe in 2016, and I believe now that I prefer the Alpine at this stage, as all the pieces seem better aligned, whereas the Horseshoe is still young and grounded in intensity.
  • 2016 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bottle was opened yesterday. Listed ABV is 12.6%. My notes from our tasting say savory green apple, green banana, spicy with an intense core of citrusy energy. Finish with a light touch of pineapple, spicy with good length. We had some leftovers that I kept in the fridge overnight, so retasting today. Very similar to yesterday’s notes, and what I like about the wine is the mixture of cut/acidity and the mineral texture of the finish. This is in the leaner, more refreshing style of Chard, similar in style to what I dig and drink from Jamie Kutch’s Chardonnay. Of note too, whatever amount of oak that was put on this, I don’t sense any of its imprint here. Terrific showing and this is why I continue to buy and support the Rhys Chardonnay program.

• 2015 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bottle was opened yesterday for our Rhys tasting, and this was paired with the 2015 Horseshoe, both poured single blind. Taking my note here in two stages, let me first outline yesterday’s perceptions. I found this floral, more typical of the aromatics of Pinot Noir (as opposed to Horseshoe that was showing. a lot of graphite). Strawberry, cedar, a good amount of tannin with blue/red fruit but the wine just seemed tight (as did the Horsehshoe). Tart finish with strawberry and spice. So, retasting the wine today from the leftovers in the bottle so it’s had a solid 24 hours to enjoy some air. Aromas of red fruit jam, some spice (perhaps seasoned by the light whole cluster inclusion it saw). The palate today? Well, I can sense the fruit tones, more blue than red, but these fruits are under the structure that is still evident. Some herbal seasoning from the stems, along with game and the same soil/loam note I found in the bottle I wrote up back in April 2019. There is a lot of complexity and raw material here, and I now understand why Kevin Harvey suggested we put the 2015s aside for some more age, but I wanted to get these onto the table and give Alpine and Horseshoe a go. My belief here on the Alpine is that this is going to evolve into a great bottle, kind of like the 2012s are starting to show, so my advice is that if you open the 2015s, breathe them well or recognize the runway ahead that is promising for Alpine.
  • 2015 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    I last tried this at the winery in 2017, so it’s been a good piece of time since I assessed it. The bottle I am using for my note here was opened yesterday for our Rhys tasting, and this was paired with the 2015 Alpine, both poured single blind. Taking my note here in two stages, let me first outline yesterday’s perceptions. There was a distinct graphite/metal shaving aroma (and of note, I found this aromatic in the 2012 and 2010, that we also had in our event. So perhaps this is a consistent part of the Horseshoe terroir, at least on my own nose). The wine yesterday also showed a savory thread running through it, with an earthy berry. With some air, some blueberry comes through, tangy red fruits, sour cherry, and a medium weight. In retesting the wine today from the bottle leftovers, it’s had 24 hours of additional air, and based on the coiled nature of the 2015 Alpine even with the same extra air, what I find is that the Horseshoe has finally loosened up. Whereas the Alpine is still coiled and structured, the 2015 Horseshoe is much more accessible. The fruit tones are juicy, with a touch of hard candy, cherry and raspberry, even a bit creamy dare I say. Finishes with a blueberry skin, citrus and medium weight. So, everything said, the 2015 Horseshoe is beating the 2015 Alpine right now, and while the Horseshoe will age, I do think the Alpine will outlive it. Just be sure if you open the 2015 Horseshoe now that you breathe it out well, as it made a big difference here in how the wine showed.

• 2012 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    From yesterday’s Rhys tasting here at the house, we paired this with the 2012 Horseshoe, both poured blind. The nose had a brown spice kind of thing, like a subtle cinnamon. Juicy, plump, watermelon, raspberry and red fruits. This was excellent, which seemed to be a consistent opinion across the table.
  • 2012 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    From yesterday’s Rhys event here at the house, and was poured blind side-by-side with the 2012 Alpine. The aromatics to me showed similar to the 2015 Horseshoe, with the graphite/metal shaving aroma. The wine expresses a high-toned, bright intense spicy fruit. It does also reflect some of the whole cluster, with a menthol note. Strawberry and red fruits, with a tight finish of cherry. This showed well, and alongside the 2012 Alpine, both to me show the high caliber of the 2012 vintage.

• 2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    From our Rhys tasting yesterday we did here at the house. We single blinded this wine alongside the 2010 Horseshoe. For the 2010 Alpine, I jotted down that I found the aromatic a bit fumey, which perhaps is tied into the alcohol, which for the Alpine was a full point higher than the Horseshoe (13.7 versus 12.7). Spicy cherry, a little meaty with a pretty texture. Like with the 2010 Horseshoe, I was not able to retest either 2010 today, as the leftovers went home with other people last night. Ultimately, I preferred the Horseshoe in 2010.
  • 2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    From our Rhys tasting yesterday we did here at the house. We single blinded this wine alongside the 2010 Alpine, too. For the 2010 'Shoe, I found the wine juicy, with a berry bowl kind of flavor, along with a distinct watermelon note. Juicy, even a bit creamy, lightly jammed, too. And worth pointing out in 2010, the Horseshoe is a point lower in alcohol than the Alpine (12.7 versus 13.7). What that translates for me is enjoying the Horseshoe more than the Alpine, which was a bit richer.

• 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    I last had this wine 5 years ago, so it was fortunate to have this in our Rhys tasting at the house yesterday. We also poured it blind, included blind with the 2008 Horseshoe and 2008 Swan Terrace. I’ll write this up in two parts: one from my notes from yesterday and the other from tasting the wine right now from the bottle leftovers from last night. From yesterday, the wine showed a rose petal aromatic. And as with the 2014 bottle I wrote up 5 years ago, darker in color (as were all the 2008s we looked at yesterday, too). Depth, lots of color and concentration, burly and coiled. I closed my notes with the phrase “stacked and packed”. Fast forward 24 hours to today, I just poured off another 2 ounces to retry. Not getting the rose petal today, but instead the whole cluster impact, with cracked spices and some herbals. The palate on the wine today is really concentrated, with a plump, filling kind of texture that has softened some from yesterday. What I find fascinating about these 2008s is that the wines are now past a decade old and this vintage for Rhys shows their aging ability–this does not show nor taste like something going on 11 years old. This remains fresh, pure and for me no signs of any fade or aged character. Terrific.
  • 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Of the three 2008 wines we did single blind yesterday (Alpine, Swan Terrace and Horseshoe), the latter is the only wine I did not have leftovers to try again, as some smart soul tool the bottle home with them. So, my notes that follow are just from yesterday only. Beautiful floral aromatic. Medium weight, moderate complexity, bit jammy. Dark raspberry and cherry. I did find the Alpine and Swan Terrace with 24 hours of extra air to be outstanding wines, but I cannot validate that for Horseshoe so you’ll have to take my notes as is.
  • 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Oddly, I have never tasted this wine. We included it yesterday in our Rhys tasting at the house, to be poured alongside the Horseshoe and Alpine 2008s, a three bottle flight poured single blind. Let me sketch this wine in two parts: my notes from yesterday and my notes from a pour I just made tonight from yesterday’s bottle leftovers. Yesterday I found a caramel/brewed coffee note in the aromatic. Black cherry intensity, berry jam. Tangy. Seems tight and coiled with a mineral, tangy finish. Funny, a few people at the table yesterday though this was Alpine or Horseshoe. So, fast forward to today, I am revisiting the wine again. Similar brewed coffee note, but with added florally that I did not sense yesterday. There is a density to this wine, and like the 2008 Alpine, a distinct concentration that is pretty amazing for a wine that is now over a decade old. I’d call this classy, pure, with a broad swath of red fruit that coats my palate. There is a light tang here to the fruit too, joined with a complementing acidity. Overall, this is the real deal and if this is what Swan Terrace can do with age, I can see why this plot is esteemed as it is. Beautiful. If I can find this vintage of Swan on the auction market at a good price, I am buying.

• 2014 Coessens Coteaux Champenois Vendange Entière - France, Champagne, Coteaux Champenois
    The only other time I had a Cotreax Champenois was when we did Marguet’s version of it last year, also the 2014. I do think these wines take time to ponder, to get your head around, as part of me wants to think of them in Champagne terms, but these wines are distinctly not bubbly. The bottle for my note here was opened yesterday as part of our Rhys tasting. This is firm, formed by a core of crunchy red fruits, with some aspects of the texture becoming glassy, too. The aromatic has a stemmy quality, giving it some definition that I like, too. Finally, there is acidity that frames mainly the red tones, along with some blue fruit, finishing with saline-like note. This is grown in the south, not far from people like Vouette et Sorbee, Cedric Bouchard and Pierre Gerbais, from soils that are not all that different from Chablis (which is about an hour south of where this is grown). Overall, I like this wine and I wish more of these kinds of wines would make it over here to the LA area.
  • 2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Resonance Extra Brut - France, Champagne
    Opened yesterday, as a palate cleanser to end our Rhys event. This is part of the 02/2018 disgorgement, no dosage and 100% Pinot Noir from the upper slope of the vineyard. I really like this wine, and I continue to backfill it as I drink through them. Retasting this today, the bubbles from yesterday have held up nicely, showing for me the value of the simple stopper to keep the wines fresh after opening. The aromas show crushed rock, baked bread and stone fruit. Stone fruit in the palate, like a plum, along with cinnamon, lime, raspberry and a creamy red fruited profile. Finishes with a red apple note and saline. I remain a devoted Marie-Courtin fan, as these wines consistently show me purity and flavor, and the bonus is they are farmed cleaned and made without dosage, which suits my palate and beliefs about where my wine dollars go.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks a bunch to Frank for putting this together and hosting. Also thanks to old and new friends that came and brought wines. This was a terrific focused tasting.

As someone who hasn’t been tracking Rhys that closely over the last few years the changes in build of the wines was surprising for me. I’ve have heard and read but it’s another thing to see them in the glass like this covering eight years worth of wines. Again the older wines still seem so young and in hibernation. And now I’m increasingly intrigued by them. No clue where they are going but a decade in the bottle and the fruit still seems so fresh. Remarkable. It’s the sort of thing that only comes with the best, classically styled wines from California. I’m putting in my early and unrequested vote for a return to that style.

The younger wines were more mixed for me. I’ve seen many wineries over the years “pull back” the fruit and even some keeping high stem inclusion. I think the results have been mixed at best and mostly poor if being honest. Sometimes vineyards are just good enough to give the complete package and time is needed for the wines to be at their best. That being said many of these younger wines showed much better than I’ve seen from past wineries doing to pull back thing. The Alpines especially show strong concentration across the years we sampled. The Horseshoes seemed to struggled with expression more. I have to wonder if the stem inclusion will forever dominate some of these.

All the wines were good to very good at least. But if I’m being honest the 08’s intrigued me the most. The density of the fruit coupled with the fact that if given all these wines completely blind I’m pretty sure we would have guessed most of them the youngest. The only pause I would have on them showing hte best at a mature stage would be that most of those vines were pretty young when those wines were made.

That’s enough kindling and unpopular opinions for the night.

RHYS ALPINE/HORSESHOE TASTING AT FRANK’S - Frank Murray’s Casa (1/11/2020)

Chards and Pinots were bagged though we knew which wines were in each flight. Therefore only which vineyard was in which glass was unknown to us.

• 2015 Rhys Blancs de Blancs Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    Very strong white grape aromas. Sweet flavored fruits on the palate. Not much in the way of doughy, citrus or autolytic characters. Much more in the vein of a lighter sparkling wine than something like a Champagne. Sort of big round fruit expression versus the smooth regalness of higher end bubbles. We ended up with a vintage Bollinger on the table next to this which really brought the differences between a classic Champagne and this wine into focus. A nice, decent sparkling wine but nothing more. The low dose is remarkable though given the sweetness of flavor. As a low dose skeptic I think the decision to hold back helped keep this wine from being a caricature and let the fresh fruit show itself off.
  • 2007 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année Rosé - France, Champagne
    Bollinger rarely fails to let me down. Even for a vintage where only a certain subset of houses made vintage wine Bollinger still stepped up strongly. This was more elegant than Bollinger often is. Very even across the palate. Just pretty. The color was certainly different coming off as a lighter salmon shade reminiscent of an orange wine. Goes down way too easy.

• 2016 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Nose shows immediate honeysuckle then some sulfury wood and citrus. Light bodied and crisp. Especially in comparison to the wine next to it. Touch of a grip. The concentration level seems lower than the Alpine. Being blind that concentration made me default my guess to Horseshoe since I have little experience with this vineyard’s Chards. I’d like to try this again after the oak has some time to integrate. It’s a light touch and expresses more in the vein of how you smell it in a Burgundy. But I’m not certain I’d want to got longer than 10 years on this either. I found the Alpine more compelling if less classic. This was solid to good.
  • 2016 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Rich nose of lemon oil. Rich and complex palate. Compelling but not even right now. This also needs some time to integrate to me. I’ve found a strong depth of fruit in my previous experience with Alpine Chards so I defaulted my guess that way with this. That concentration of fruit makes me more bullish on aging this one versus the Horseshoe. This excited me a good deal more also. I wasn’t convinced the acidity was really up there to keep this on an even keel but it also felt a touch clumsy in a young way. Very tasty though. Check back in 2-3 years. Maybe +5 for best results.

• 2015 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Light bodied to look at, not showing much extraction. Nose shows some forest floor earth and celery. Young ripe Pinot fruits. Shows pretty tight on the palate. Crisper with better acids than the bottle next to it. Lots of bitter fruit skin notes with light tannin. This seemed a bit overwhelmed by the stems. Maybe the fruit will unfurl and step up but my experience with Cali Pinot and strong stem inclusion is not that positive. The fruit really needs to show some concentration to suck that up. I feel like they purposely dialed back from letter the fruit be the show in the more recent wines. On the plus side, this saw just about no air.
  • 2015 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Shows little in the way of extraction in terms of color. Young full fruited Pinot notes with touches of herby stems. Much richer and weightier on the palate than the Horseshoe. Bigger bodied but also much stronger tannin. This comes off like a wine with a lot of potential. This also saw very little air upon our tasting it which I think factors into it feeling a touch round. I’d bet on a strong future for this one. The fruit density was on display here where it was difficult to locate in the Horseshoe. This made the stem inclusion come off as spice rather then the whole show.

• 2012 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Darker in color than the 2015’s. Spicy nose showing stemmy celery notes. Compelling and juicy. light grip behind some showing acidity. touch of a bite. Needs to chill. Seems like it’s a bit awkward. I believe this also saw minimal air so maybe that would have helped some. I still found it intriguing. No rush here.
  • 2012 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Darker in color than the 2015’s. Earthy nose being somewhat reserved. Shows some apple skin. Tighter palate than the Horseshoe. More monolithic and round. Good grip. Touch of sort of barrel oxidation sort of note as in this is showing some age already even though it comes off as quite tight. Tough to read this one. This one also didn’t see a lot of air if memory serves. The Horseshoe was more interesting this round.

• 2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    This also seemed grapey in comparison to the younger wines we drank in front of it. Stemmy asparagus notes. Juicy, bright and clean palate. Quite even feeling with a light grip. Quite different than the Alpine in nearly every way. And much more interesting to drink in the moment. Could be an air thing though.
  • 2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Still quite grapey on the nose. This also showed a strong celery stems note. Again the Alpine was richer on the palate. This one showed some baking spice and wood notes. It also seemed simpler and a touch sharp. Almost sullen. This one also probably could have used quite a bit of air I’m guessing. Kind of brooding and really allowed the Horseshoe to steal it’s thunder. But I wouldn’t be worried. It seems like there is a good wine here that’s just sort of sulking in how we woke it

• 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Decanted about 6 hours prior to tasting. All these 08’s showed tons of young fruit still, especially in comparison to the much less extracted, much younger wines in front of them. Floral, subtle sexy nose. Fleshy still. juicy yet showing minerals. Grippy. This one probably showed the best of the three. Seems like there is something a touch more special in here. Giving the showing even after plenty of air you’ve got plenty of time to find out. Could be playing on another level.
  • 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. Decanted about 6 hours prior to tasting. All these 08’s showed tons of young fruit still, especially in comparison to the much less extracted, much younger wines in front of them. A bit roasty on the nose but otherwise not giving up much. Fleshy palate. Dense, dark berry fruits. Solid grip. This one probably showed the least of the three which is saying something. And it saw six hours of air. Go figure.
  • 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bagged but knew all but which vineyard was in which bag. All these 08’s showed tons of young fruit still, especially in comparison to the much less extracted, much younger wines in front of them. Complex, rocky nose. Tight and very grippy on the palate. So very dense still. Almost modern showing the most ripeness of the three. But this one saw little air. Again, don’t rush to open this.

I almost forgot this add on. A very cool wine. Much better than my previous experiences with still Champagnes. I don’t remember the Courtin that well as I was getting texts from work and thinking I needed to go.

Thanks for the comprehensive notes guys.

1 Like

Excellent notes on wines I hope to be enjoying in the coming years.

The descriptions you guys have of the sparkling remind me of the 1995 Mount Eden sparkling project that they offered to list members as a fun one-off. That came off like the Chardonnay with bubbles added, not with the yeasty/autolytic characteristics you get with longer tirage. I’m letting mine sit for awhile longer before I sample. I don’t get the sense from these notes that time is necessarily needed to enjoy.

Thanks,
fred

Excellent notes Frankie - thanks! My wife and I tasted the Bearwallow Blancs de Blancs over the holidays and I generally agree with your assessment. The wine has a distinctive fruity sweetness that (at least at this juncture) masks complexity. That said, this sparkler is enjoyable and celebratory in its own way. My wife, who as an excellent nose/palate absolutely adores this wine.

Fascinating to follow the pinots as they continue to develop!

I had a 2010 Swan Terrace recently that was the best Rhys I’ve had so far. I was hoping it was due to having waited for it to age some. It would be disappointing to find out it was because it was made by techniques Rhys no longer employs.

Though I cannot be nearly as eloquent or mellifluous as Frank and Cris, I do have a sense of duty to post my minimal scribblings. I really just threw down some one word descriptors as we went along so hopefully, brevity is acceptable to the audience here.

2015 Bearwallow BdB… I’m with the majority on this: it isn’t going to replace genuine Champers in anyone’s mind, but it isn’t totally without some merit as well. Reminded me quite a bit of Roederer L’Ermitage. I would not re-up at $80 (87-88 pts)

2016 Horseshoe Chardonnay - Lime/citrus, herb, cashew, more oak than the Alpine, though lighter and steely-er too (91 pt)
2016 Alpine Chardonnay - Butter, lemon creme, nougat, and really wonderful pear flavors (92 pt)

2015 Horseshoe PN - Profound nose, light tannins, overall tight and not giving up much
2915 Alpine PN - Big nose, cherry, pepper, smoke, chewy and dense

2012 Horseshoe - earthy, cherry, floral, really fine acidic tension, medium bouquet intensity (90 pt)
2012 Alpine - more power, “posh”, vanilla, very pretty bouquet (91 pt)

2010 Horseshoe - didn’t make notes on the 2010’s, but I scored it 50+4+12+17+8= 91
2010 Alpine - no notes either, just a score 50+4+11+17+9= 91

2008 Horseshoe - better nose (?) - that’s all I wrote!
2008 Alpine - incredibly tight for its age… needs more time
2008 Swan Terrace - Even this seemed really young. I got notes of mint, tar, blackberry

Pretty measly records, I know. I was into enjoying the company, food, and space as much as the wines. Thanks again, Frank, for a great afternoon!

=B

1 Like

Hi Chris, I wanted to address your and Cris’s comments on the changes in style. I think the winemaking changes are probably less than you think. For me, the biggest change in our wines is actually vine maturity and a better sense of where whole cluster works, which is a result of many years experimenting and learning our vineyards. The actual changes though are relatively minor tweaks of the dial, not wholesale changes in process or philosophy. The Swan Terrace has been made basically the same way since about 2008, 100% whole cluster and low new oak (about 25%). Alpine and Horseshoe have trended with lower whole cluster (Horseshoe has been completely destemmed for the last 5 vintages) and lower new oak, which are reactions to the changes in vineyard. The way I would describe our wines from 2012 on would be more early elegance and less youthful awkwardness but no change in concentration. I personally think that vintages like 2012, 2014 and the upcoming 2018 will not only outlive those earlier vintages but will be better wines in the long run. In fact, with the reintroduction of Alesia, we’re now making even stricter cuts on the single vineyard wines, allowing us to make more concentrated and precise wines than ever before.

Useful info Jeff. Thanks.

This is pretty clearly autocorrect being “helpful”, but I’m curious to know what it was changed from?

My guess is bitchen.

That is a excellent guess, and I will fix that boo-boo. I try and scrub my narratives but I still miss stuff like this.

Bob H, go easy on yourself, man. In doing this stuff, no one person or voice has all the answers or truth. Your truth and notes are what matters.

Jeff, good to see you posting here.

Post/thread of the year? I read every word—super-tremendous that you showed us your thoughts on vintage differences as well as plot differences, Frank. Cris and Bob, appreciate seeing your fine notes as counterpoint.

I had one taste of the BdB and it wasn’t in fair company—the 08 Cristal and 08 Dom were on the table at the same time. Still, like you, I try to assess each wine objectively:

"2015 Rhys Blanc de Blancs

This has good bubbles and initial entry, but nothing stands out and sort of short finish. Glad to try, though, haven’t had one before."

I will say that I seem to be the only one so far who got no real mark of sweetness off the wine.

Had the Bollinger the next day. It was also in unfair company, competing against 04 Dom Rose which was probably my #3 WOTY.

"2007 Bollinger Grand Annee Rose

In a way, unfair to serve this with the 04 Dom Rose. It has its own fine tune to play, but is overshadowed. Standing apart, it does have super balance, a nice softness to the apple fruit to set off good bubbles and a slightly smoky length. No question, very, very good, just made less by the wine before it."

My only try of the 16 Alpine Chard was on my big trip back in summer 2018. It was, for me, a fantastic wine which made the WOTY list that year:

"2016 Rhys Alpine Chard

Grabs the nose and throttles it with the saline and rocks & toast. Apple underneath and grapefruit. An already-classic example, mouthwatering (as in must-have-more) lemon, minerality but it slides along with the rest of the wine. This is really fabulous stuff, beautiful gingerbread finish at the back. One of the best winery wines I’ve had on the whole trip."

It’s interesting to read that it may be going through some changes based on your guys’ impressions.

Huge thanks to Frank for hosting and for including me in this event! [cheers.gif] I’ll add more commentary tomorrow. For now, here’s my notes:

2015 Rhys Blancs de Blancs Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/11/2020)
Pale, golden yellow color. Straightforward Gala apple on the Nose, which was not complex. Medium bodied on the palate, with a much greater sense of sweetness than I prefer on my sparklers. Rich, medium-heavy; Red Delicious apple; short finish; 12.9% alc… Overall, this wasn’t bad; in fact, I’d even say “good” — let’s call it 85 – 87 points. It was quite accessible, which was nice, but it was just too heavy and sweet for me. The biggest problem here, however, is price — this was released at $79, which is right in line with some very serious Champagnes, which, quite frankly, are better than this wine multiple times over for my palate. I think $30 - $35 for this would be appropriate, but I still wouldn’t be a buyer because it’s simply not my style.

2007 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année Rosé - France, Champagne (1/11/2020)
Light salmon color — nearly colorless, depending on the lighting. Spicy, red-berried Nose. Light and airy on the palate. First time with this bottling, and it took me all of one sip to have the impression this is a seriously serious bottle of bubbles. Spicy, with light red berries on the moderately intense palate; presents as young, and energetic. Incredibly moreish — I could drink a bottle of this, all by myself, real quick! Gut impression score on this is in the 95 – 96 range. I’ll be seeking this out.

2016 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted a single pour single blind over approx. 20 min. –

Nose was quite expressive, typical, with unusual complicating aspects of grass and pyrazine. Medium to medium-full bodied on the palate, with rich fruits supported by background minerals and moderate acidity. Tight, and a touch lactic. I strongly preferred this to the 2016 Horseshoe Chardonnay tasted alongside. 12.7% alc…

2016 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted a single pour single blind over approx. 20 min. –

Nose was moderately expressive, with a medium-strength note of something reminiscent to TCA; I was easily talked-out of the TCA, and that position was supported by the dissipating nature of the note, whatever it was — oak and sulphur were both suggested; regardless, I didn’t like it. Medium-light bodied on the palate, with the palate presenting flavors reflective of the aromas on the Nose (light; mineral; slight TCA-like something). This is the first time I’ve had a Rhys Chardonnay present like this, and, quite frankly, I did not enjoy it; I much preferred the 2016 Alpine Chardonnay tasted alongside. The Horseshoe was noticeably lighter than the Alpine. 12.6% alc…

2015 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)
– I believe this was popped and poured –
– tasted single blind over approx. 20 minutes –

Nose was red-fruited and extremely tight. Light bodied. Very tight on the palate, presenting reserved red fruits in a savory package. Mild-medium oak. 12.7% alc… Nearly identical presentation as that of the '15 Alpine Pinot. My primary take-away on this wine, as well as the 2015 Alpine Pinot tasted alongside, was “bury deep in the bottom of the back of the cellar.” Extremely wasteful to open right now.

2015 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)

Nose was extremely tight, but a bit more showy than the 2015 Horseshoe tasted alongside. Earthy red-fruited aromas with a hint of Twizzlers licorice. Light, tannic, and very tight on the palate. Medium oak. A touch floral. 13.0% alc… My primary take-away on this wine, as well as the 2015 Horseshoe Pinot tasted alongside, was “bury deep in the bottom of the back of the cellar.” I honestly would have struggled to consistently tell this apart from the '15 Horseshoe Pinot — they presented nearly identically. No point in opening this wine right now unless you’re interested in wasting it.

2012 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)

Tight and lightly metallic on the Nose. Light bodied. Floral, slightly spicy, and high acidity on the palate. 13.5% alc… Strong Hold recommendation on this on. I preferred the '12 Alpine Pinot tasted alongside.

2012 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)

Nose was far more expressive than the '12 Horseshoe Pinot tasted alongside. Deeper-pitched than the '12 Horseshoe, and slightly minty. Light bodied with high acidity on the palate. Savory and red-fruited. 12.9% alc… Not a total waste to open right now, but seems to have so much more in reserve: Hold. I voted for this over the 2012 Horseshoe as it presented today, and, for my preferences, I believe I’ll always prefer the Alpine.

2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)
– cork pulled approx. 2 hrs before tasting –

Clean and spicy on the Nose, which was not as expressive as the Nose on the 2010 Alpine Pinot tasted alongside. Like the Alpine, some age apparent in the color. Light bodied. Spicy and red-fruited. Light tomato and pyrazine flavors. 12.7% alc… I preferred the flavor of this '10 Horseshoe to that of the '10 Alpine, but preferred the Nose on the Alpine.

2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)
– I believe cork was pulled approx. 2 hours before tasting –

Nose was very expressive – loose – earthy red fruits with a light funky/cigar aspect. Some age apparent in the color, which seems premature to me. Light bodied and tight on the palate. 13.7% alc… Too bad the palate didn’t deliver on the promise suggested by the Nose. I wonder if this would have revealed significantly more to me in a setting where this wine was given the benefit of solitary focus. Excellent.

2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)
– decanted approx. 6 hours before tasting –
– tasted single blind over approx. 30 minutes –

Incredible Nose on this one: concentrated strawberry; deep cherry; concentrated brown sauce. Light bodied on the palate, with dark red fruits, good acidity, and a touch of brett. 13.0% alc… My favorite of this flight, alongside the '08 Horseshoe and the '08 Alpine. A very pleasant drink now, but I see more upside with the Hold.

2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)
– decanted approx. 6 hours before tasting –

Cool raspberry (Twizzlers) on the Nose, along with a “dark” element that I couldn’t specifically identify. Liked the Nose a lot. Light bodied. Surprisingly tight on the palate. 12.8% alc… Not nearly as showy as the '08 Alpine and the '08 Swan Terrace in the same flight. Hold.

2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/11/2020)
– double decanted approx. 3 hours before tasting –

Enjoyed the Nose on this one a lot, even though it was a touch funky; similar to the Swan Terrace (deep red berries), but a bit more tight (possibly a result of the different decant times). Light bodied. Very tight on the palate, but there were some dark red/purple fruits somewhat accessible; a touch tannic; 13.3% alc… Still has tons of upside. Hold.

2014 Coessens Coteaux Champenois Vendange Entière - France, Champagne, Coteaux Champenois (1/11/2020)
– popped and poured (I believe) –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 30 minutes –

Nose was red-fruited, herbal, and perfumed. Light bodied. Red-fruited, light, spicy, and lightly tannic. I enjoyed this, but, I have to say, if the price tag is anywhere near the $81 indicated as the “average community value” on CT then this is a terrible QPR; strikes me that $30 would be far more appropriate. Nonetheless, quite interesting.

2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Resonance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (1/11/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 30 minutes –

Very approachable. Light. A bit fruitier than I was expecting from this zero dosage Champagne. Open. Very enjoyable. I’d be happy to drink this anytime.

2013 Domaine Jean Tardy et Fils Vosne-Romanée Vigneux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (1/11/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 30 min. –

High-toned red fruits; some ruby-red grapefruit; not tannic; medium+ acidity; alc. not noticeable; open/accessible; not particularly structured or serious, but a killer QPR at $30.

a few additional comments about the wines:

First and foremost, this tasting was a real eye-opener for me because, for the most part, I’ve previously preferred Horseshoe Pinots to those from Alpine; that simply was not the case at this tasting. The '15’s were virtually indistinguishable from each other, to my palate, but aside from those I consistently preferred the Alpine over the Horseshoe. Interesting.

The 2015 Bearwallow BdB — I don’t want to pile-on too much, so I will just a little. My note speaks for itself.

My favorite flight was the '08 Pinots. It’s been a good handful of years since I last tried the '08 Alpine. It still needs time. All the '08s we tasted still need time, but they show incredible promise, precision, and depth. And this was my first time having a Swan — sadly, the Swan got my vote blind – always looking for a reason to stop buying expensive wines, but no such reason presented itself here.

My favorite flight to drink today was the '10 Pinots. But, I have to say, I was a touch taken aback at how advanced they seemed. And a couple came across as a bit funkier than I’d prefer, too.

The '12s were nice, but too tight to get a firm read on.

The '15’s are terribly tight right now. It is 100% wasteful to open these right now.

The 2007 Bollinger was probably my most favorite wine of the afternoon/evening. My first time with that bottling, and it was a real eye-opener. It was so airy and easy to drink. It’s the kind of wine where a bottle could disappear real quick!

Greg has been releasing lots of Jean Tardy villages wines recently, and I got a few of these '13 Vosne. I’m very happy having paid what I did for them.

The still Pinot from Champagne was more interesting than good, for me. I sincerely hope the CT average community value is not reflective of its usual sticker price, because if it is then it is way overpriced for what’s in the bottle.

Something was going on with the '16 Horseshoe Chard. that I did not like. This is the wine I most wanted to revisit at a later time, but circumstances dictated that not be in the cards this time around. The Alpine Chard. was very nice, but it didn’t strike me as something that should not be held for the long haul. I’ll likely drink my bottles in the next 5 to 10 years.

Finally,
I want to, again, express gratitude to FMIII for opening his home to us scoundrels, and for letting me crash the night so I didn’t have to find a local hotel. It was a genuine pleasure seeing familiar faces again, and equally fun getting to know three new-to-me folks, too. I’ve read the notes from the four previous iterations of this “event,” if we can call it that, and have always wished myself the opportunity to attend one in the future; very happy the stars aligned properly for me this time. Thanks to everyone who participated for making the event a complete success. [cheers.gif]

• Brian

Brian, thanks for the notes and POV. Doing these sit downs is really helpful to me, too. The process of doing some thoughtful analysis, and also real-time getting perspectives from others about what they taste, does help me fill the picture of what’s at play in the craft.

I did find the 2015 Horseshoe loosen up the following day, and I updated my TN accordingly. That wine needed a lot of time, although the 2015 Alpine continued to be tight, FWIW.

We’ll do another iteration of this event later this year. We’ll have to figure out what we taste, perhaps doing favorites of each person at the table and we explore the best of our palates.

I like that idea for you guys, Frank–that sounds like it’d be a lot of fun too

Hoping that the BdB might show up at Falltacular . . .