Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Arv R

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#951 Post by Arv R » June 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm

Richard Jen wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:38 am
Is there a difference between:
2. Generate multiple coupons to use for a online store vs. using a pritned coupon in the same store multiple times when it says one coupon per customer?
At one point Home Depot would give out a $35 coupon (off a min $50 purchase) for a successful credit card application. The coupon was virtual and it had to be printed out to work in store. Crafty internet scammers quickly figured out how to generate the deep links to make an infinite supply of these coupons, and would sell them on eBay for $5ish. A coworker was able to convince his local HD to let him use multiple coupons on purchases even though the T&C stated they were only to be used one time at a purchase. So he would basically buy $200 tools for $60 with 4 coupons. It was pretty crazy and he was doing this every weekend. (He was a very enthusiastic woodworker).

But at some point this stopped working and he was stuck with a bunch of the now worthless coupons, and his attempts to get refunds from sellers/ebay went nowhere.
R_@_0

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#952 Post by Alan Rath » June 23rd, 2020, 8:04 pm

Philip G wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 9:19 am
"Refer your friends" has no mention or implication they need to be new wine.com customers so nothing "necessary" there at all. So I disagree.
I wasn’t interested enough to try and follow who’s zooming who in this thread, but felt obliged to critique this logic: if not meant for referring a new customer, two people could just keep sending new referral codes back and forth to each other, ad infinitum. Clearly that’s not the intention of the promotion. Not to mention that I would expect a $25 credit only in cases where the person referred actually makes a purchase.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#953 Post by Philip G » June 23rd, 2020, 9:59 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 8:04 pm
Philip G wrote:
"Refer your friends" has no mention or implication they need to be new wine.com customers so nothing "necessary" there at all. So I disagree.
I wasn’t interested enough to try and follow who’s zooming who in this thread, but felt obliged to critique this logic: if not meant for referring a new customer, two people could just keep sending new referral codes back and forth to each other, ad infinitum. Clearly that’s not the intention of the promotion. Not to mention that I would expect a $25 credit only in cases where the person referred actually makes a purchase.
Alan that's not how the promotion worked. It was a single code per customer sent by email. There was no ability to ping pong like you are suggesting that I am aware of. And yes, you would only get the $25 credit if the person you sent it to, or someone on this website, clicked your link and bought something. The ethical question is posting the links here where many people can use them and apparently in the beginning people could use multiple codes for multiple purchases. The multiple codes capability was fixed by wine.com then they cancelled the promotion. I personally used one code as the link worked for me even though I am a current wine.com customer. There was no statement by wine.com that the promotion was only for new customers. Click the link, get a code, buy wine, get the discount. Hope that makes it clear.
Chip G@@d

Mike R

#954 Post by Mike R » June 24th, 2020, 5:11 am

I think the referral issue has been beaten to death at this point. While it does raise some interesting ethical questions, (just like using 100/300 coupons that are targeted to other users) I don't know that its worth discussing those ethical dilemmas further in this thread.
... 0 p 3 r

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#955 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » June 24th, 2020, 5:32 am

Without this thread, I would never have known about the Amex offers or the coupon code for stewardship. I didn't use the referral codes, but without the $100/$300 promo codes, the prices on wine.com are so overpriced, that I have to believe they work some kind of assumed discounting into their business model, like how bed bath beyond does with the 20% coupons.

Arv R

#956 Post by Arv R » June 24th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:32 am
I didn't use the referral codes, but without the $100/$300 promo codes, the prices on wine.com are so overpriced, that I have to believe they work some kind of assumed discounting into their business model, like how bed bath beyond does with the 20% coupons.
+1

It's easy enough to have targeted coupon codes, if a merchant desires. Amazon & eBay do it all the time. Of course, that tends to reduce sales volume.

In the end, I don't think wine.com's problem is coupon codes, but rather the T&C around StewardShip. I'd expect that it will eventually be invalid for some of the catalog, just like WineLibrary excluded some wines from their version - LibraryPass. Or they set some minimum order size, or have an average value per bottle test etc. (Like Westwood for free CA shipping IIRC?)
R_@_0

A d a m S.

#957 Post by A d a m S. » June 24th, 2020, 12:46 pm

I tend to agree with Mike R. that it’s time to move on from this subject. However, as a new contributor this forum, and a relative novice at buying wine on wine.com, I thought it might be worthwhile to provide a brief account of my experience.

I maintain a fairly large cellar and buy a lot of wine online but had mostly avoided wine.com because, despite their huge selection (12,811 different wines in stock right now; 393,369 if you include out of stock!), their prices seemed exorbitant compared to their online competitors. Their odd business model seems to involve showering the world, by mail and email, with a veritable blizzard of discount codes of every amount and every minimum purchase requirement, in the hopes of enticing wine lovers into the game of finding just the right code to bring their crazy prices down to something reasonable. Then my wife—who has never in her life bought wine online—suddenly received a $100 off $300 code in the mail, passed it to me, and I was off on my own little wine.com odyssey. Suffice it to say that, to become a regular wine.com customer, you have to spend a lot of time searching the web and haunting places like wine berserkers forums, in a desperate search for some new code that will bring a few of those 12,811 overpriced wines within reach. When you find a code that works, it’s often unclear whom it was meant for, and what restrictions if any were supposed to govern its use.

My point is that this is a bizarre business model, one that basically forces their customer base to become feverish discount code addicts. So, if a software glitch occasionally causes very favorable codes to become widely available, and they get used by customers they were not intended for, I for one hold wine.com partly responsible, and I am inclined to look on the users of those codes with some indulgence.
Brunellist

Σ ç ħ υ λ µ α η

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#958 Post by Jeff_M. » June 24th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:32 am
Without this thread, I would never have known about the Amex offers or the coupon code for stewardship. I didn't use the referral codes, but without the $100/$300 promo codes, the prices on wine.com are so overpriced, that I have to believe they work some kind of assumed discounting into their business model, like how bed bath beyond does with the 20% coupons.
Exactly this. Those $100/$300 promos have me rethinking buying winery direct for certain wines now. I can buy Hillside Select this way a lot cheaper than direct through Shafer as an example.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

T. Williams

#959 Post by T. Williams » June 24th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Arv R wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 12:32 pm
+1

It's easy enough to have targeted coupon codes, if a merchant desires. Amazon & eBay do it all the time. Of course, that tends to reduce sales volume.

In the end, I don't think wine.com's problem is coupon codes, but rather the T&C around StewardShip. I'd expect that it will eventually be invalid for some of the catalog, just like WineLibrary excluded some wines from their version - LibraryPass. Or they set some minimum order size, or have an average value per bottle test etc. (Like Westwood for free CA shipping IIRC?)
I'm don't think the StewardShip program is an issue at all! The whole free shipping model actually makes wine.com reasonably competitive when you compare to places that charge shipping, especially on less than case increments, add that to a never ending stream of coupons and you can get some fairly priced wine. If they didn't have free shipping, it would be tough to get a worthwhile deal on much of anything, even with the primo coupons.

As an aside to the other post about wine.com having an awkward coupony business model, I'm not sure they are relying on wine geeks with esoteric preferences to drive revenue. They own the domaine wine.com! That in an of itself means they are going to get top hits from every man, woman, and legally eligible child to their site. If they have prices that are even in the same galaxy as other wine stores online they will do high volume. I can tell you definitively that my mother, sister, and brother aren't searching a half dozen sites the get a "nice bottle for the holidays" they are punching in wine.com and randomly picking a $40 bottle. Delivered to the door the next day or two. That's where the revenue comes from, not us Berserkers.

TW
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

BenW

#960 Post by BenW » June 24th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 8:04 pm
Philip G wrote:
Actually the coupon logic was worse than this: you could refer yourself.
B.Williams

Chris Crutchfield

#961 Post by Chris Crutchfield » June 24th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Not sure if this one was mentioned anywhere in this thread, but PS20 - $20 off $50. I believe expires 6/25

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#962 Post by Robert M yers » June 24th, 2020, 8:38 pm

A d a m S. wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I tend to agree with Mike R. that it’s time to move on from this subject. However, as a new contributor this forum, and a relative novice at buying wine on wine.com, I thought it might be worthwhile to provide a brief account of my experience.

I maintain a fairly large cellar and buy a lot of wine online but had mostly avoided wine.com because, despite their huge selection (12,811 different wines in stock right now; 393,369 if you include out of stock!), their prices seemed exorbitant compared to their online competitors. Their odd business model seems to involve showering the world, by mail and email, with a veritable blizzard of discount codes of every amount and every minimum purchase requirement, in the hopes of enticing wine lovers into the game of finding just the right code to bring their crazy prices down to something reasonable. Then my wife—who has never in her life bought wine online—suddenly received a $100 off $300 code in the mail, passed it to me, and I was off on my own little wine.com odyssey. Suffice it to say that, to become a regular wine.com customer, you have to spend a lot of time searching the web and haunting places like wine berserkers forums, in a desperate search for some new code that will bring a few of those 12,811 overpriced wines within reach. When you find a code that works, it’s often unclear whom it was meant for, and what restrictions if any were supposed to govern its use.

My point is that this is a bizarre business model, one that basically forces their customer base to become feverish discount code addicts. So, if a software glitch occasionally causes very favorable codes to become widely available, and they get used by customers they were not intended for, I for one hold wine.com partly responsible, and I am inclined to look on the users of those codes with some indulgence.
Welcome to the board.

I keep wanting to move on, really...but folks telling us to move on just pulls me back in for some dumb reason. It’s really not that confusing, Coupons aren’t that confusing, referral coupons aren’t that confusing and the glitch was obvious.

The business model isn’t that confusing either. They are a national retailer whom doesn’t care to be the price leader, because they are THE national online retailer. A referral bonus is a payment for doing the retailer a favor ie finding them a possible new customer. It’s a cheap customer acquisition cost for them. Finding a glitch and generating unlimited codes for free money isn’t what they had in mind and to counter otherwise is not genuine.

Discount coupons are used to bring current and new customers into the fold to keep them buying. If this weren’t true they wouldn’t have dozens of them going at one time. They would also have a disclaimer that it’s for new customers only, I do not think they would overlook that limitation after dozens of coupons Have been made available. Notice how fast they turned off the referral link! Somebody did screw something up with the referral code and Some pounced. Trying to compare the two coupons is ridiculous.

If your $100 off $300 dollars coupon happened to take $299 off instead when you punched it in would you go back and use every possible Coupon for $1 Per order?

A d a m S.

#963 Post by A d a m S. » June 25th, 2020, 4:19 am

Robert M yers wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Welcome to the board.

I keep wanting to move on, really...but folks telling us to move on just pulls me back in for some dumb reason. It’s really not that confusing, Coupons aren’t that confusing, referral coupons aren’t that confusing and the glitch was obvious.

The business model isn’t that confusing either. They are a national retailer whom doesn’t care to be the price leader, because they are THE national online retailer. A referral bonus is a payment for doing the retailer a favor ie finding them a possible new customer. It’s a cheap customer acquisition cost for them. Finding a glitch and generating unlimited codes for free money isn’t what they had in mind and to counter otherwise is not genuine.

Discount coupons are used to bring current and new customers into the fold to keep them buying. If this weren’t true they wouldn’t have dozens of them going at one time. They would also have a disclaimer that it’s for new customers only, I do not think they would overlook that limitation after dozens of coupons Have been made available. Notice how fast they turned off the referral link! Somebody did screw something up with the referral code and Some pounced. Trying to compare the two coupons is ridiculous.

If your $100 off $300 dollars coupon happened to take $299 off instead when you punched it in would you go back and use every possible Coupon for $1 Per order?
Thanks, what you say makes sense. I guess I just prefer wine dealers that a) charge reasonable prices upfront, b) offer discounts for transparent reasons, like when you buy by the case or if you pay a fee to get free shipping all year (and I applaud wine.com for Stewardship), and c) don't incentivize their most serious customers to start desperately searching the internet, forums, etc., for random codes. And that model seems less open to abuse by code-addicts.
Brunellist

Σ ç ħ υ λ µ α η

A d a m S.

#964 Post by A d a m S. » June 25th, 2020, 4:41 am

A d a m S. wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:19 am

Thanks, what you say makes sense. I guess I just prefer wine dealers that a) charge reasonable prices upfront, b) offer discounts for transparent reasons, like when you buy by the case or if you pay a fee to get free shipping all year (and I applaud wine.com for Stewardship), and c) don't incentivize their most serious customers to start desperately searching the internet, forums, etc., for random codes. And that model seems less open to abuse by code-addicts.
One last point, and then I promise to stop prolonging this tiresome topic (I'd much rather post about the 95 different bottlings of Brunello in my cellar):

It seems only a relatively short step, morally speaking, from opening a second wine.com account with a different email address to take advantage of the known 100/300 and 50/150 codes twice (as some on this forum have recommended doing, without inciting controversy) to fiddling around with referral codes (including self-referrals) that weren't meant for you. Those codes are a gateway drug!
Brunellist

Σ ç ħ υ λ µ α η

joejolesch

#965 Post by joejolesch » June 25th, 2020, 5:00 am

So much talk about code addiction and comparisons to gateway drugs...I mean, I can quit anytime, y’know? (Checks “Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping” for the 7th time”)...

...so....any new codes?

YLee

#966 Post by YLee » June 25th, 2020, 5:03 am

I guess nobody got the $25 referral bonus?
I actually did refer a legit new member but havent seen my bonus.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Mike R

#967 Post by Mike R » June 25th, 2020, 7:13 am

joejolesch wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 5:00 am
So much talk about code addiction and comparisons to gateway drugs...I mean, I can quit anytime, y’know? (Checks “Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping” for the 7th time”)...

...so....any new codes?
[rofl.gif]
... 0 p 3 r

J3ff S@g@n

#968 Post by J3ff S@g@n » June 25th, 2020, 8:58 am

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:39 pm
Not sure if this one was mentioned anywhere in this thread, but PS20 - $20 off $50. I believe expires 6/25
Thx for sharing - used late last night

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#969 Post by Dan Hammer » June 25th, 2020, 9:36 am

This thread is sounding more and more like the error fares / mistake fares threads on Flyertalk. pileon
This space for rent.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#970 Post by Jim Stewart » June 25th, 2020, 9:58 am

Anybody using the wine.com app? I tried to download a while ago to an adroid device and was having problems. My wife just got an Iphone and I downloaded it to that and it seems pretty good. Any slick not obvious things you can do with it (coming from a windows laptop world so bear with me) Thanks.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

YLee

#971 Post by YLee » June 25th, 2020, 10:11 am

I use the Android version. No issues.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#972 Post by Philip G » June 25th, 2020, 11:08 am

J3ff S@g@n wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 8:58 am
Chris Crutchfield wrote:
Thx for sharing - used late last night
I don't know, doesn't seem ethical...nah!

[rofl.gif]

With the Cali sale there are some nice bottles in the $60 range. Can't decide:
Beaulieu Vineyard Reserve Tapestry 2015
Frog's Leap Estate Grown Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
Hall Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
Heitz Cellar Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
Shafer TD-9 2017

I've had Tapestry and it's pretty decent blend. I think the Hall I've had is overly sweet. Never had the Heitz Napa but that should be pretty drinkable now. Always liked Shafer Merlot better than TD-9...
Chip G@@d

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#973 Post by Robert M yers » June 25th, 2020, 11:29 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 9:36 am
This thread is sounding more and more like the error fares / mistake fares threads on Flyertalk. pileon
Do they deflect and make up irrational comparisons and excuses Over there as well? Link please hitsfan

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#974 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Latest wine.com oddity: If I search for "Musar," with "ships to MO" selected, I get a list of wines. Basically one vintage of each wine in their lineup. But the list is different depending on whether I'm logged in to my account. Without being logged in, for example (but - again - with the same "ships to" state selected either way, so that's not the issue) it offers me only the 2011 vintage for the estate red, at $59.99, but when logged in, it offers me only the 2006 for $61.99. For the Juene red, it's 2016 @ $19.99 when not logged in and 2018 @ $21.99 when logged in. And so forth, for each wine in their lineup. Each wine - only one vintage offered, but a different vintage and a different price, depending on whether I search "ships to MO" without logging in or search "ships to MO" when I'm logged in. Very odd.

Updated - I looked a little closer and noticed that one wine is the same vintage - the "Hochar Pere et Fils" red is 2016 both times - but it is still a different price - $29.99 when I'm not logged in and $31.99 when I am.

I just did the search again with Leoville Barton. Similar results. 2017 available in MO when not logged in, currently unavailable when logged in. 2011 @$83.99 when out, no 2011 at all when in. 2018 futures available both times, but $2.00 more when I'm logged in. No 2019 futures when out, available when in.

Second update - Most of the price differences have been $2.00 a bottle and have been higher when I'm logged in. But 1996 Leoville Barton is $259.97 when not logged in and $199.97 when I'm logged in. Then I opened a third window, this time in a different browser, also not logged in, and got mostly the same results as when I'm logged in. Odd.
Last edited by D@ve D y r 0 f f on June 25th, 2020, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Crutchfield

#975 Post by Chris Crutchfield » June 25th, 2020, 2:46 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Latest wine.com oddity: If I search for "Musar," with "ships to MO" selected, I get a list of wines. Basically one vintage of each wine in their lineup. But the list is different depending on whether I'm logged in to my account. Without being logged in, for example (but - again - with the same "ships to" state selected either way, so that's not the issue) it offers me only the 2011 vintage for the estate red, at $59.99, but when logged in, it offers me only the 2006 for $61.99. For the Juene red, it's 2016 @ $19.99 when not logged in and 2018 @ $21.99 when logged in. And so forth, for each wine in their lineup. Each wine - only one vintage offered, but a different vintage and a different price, depending on whether I search "ships to MO" without logging in or search "ships to MO" when I'm logged in. Very odd.

Updated - I looked a little closer and noticed that one wine is the same vintage - the "Hochar Pere et Fils" red is 2016 both times - but it is still a different price - $29.99 when I'm not logged in and $31.99 when I am.

I just did the search again with Leoville Barton. Similar results. 2017 available in MO when not logged in, currently unavailable when logged in. 2011 @$83.99 when out, no 2011 at all when in. 2018 futures available both times, but $2.00 more when I'm logged in. No 2019 futures when out, available when in.
I am not able to reproduce this when I try it while logged into my account vs. in Incognito mode.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#976 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 25th, 2020, 3:09 pm

I found the issue.

On the one that was giving me odd results, the url had a "q" inserted before the "www".

I removed that and the results now match.

Anyone know what that is? Could it be some kind of spoof site? (Luckily that was the one I was not logged into).

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#977 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 25th, 2020, 3:18 pm

FWIW, the guy on the other end of the chat window said that the qwww.wine (etc) site is not one of their legit addresses. I don't think I tried logging in there but in case I did I went ahead and changed my wine.com password anyway.

Chris Crutchfield

#978 Post by Chris Crutchfield » June 25th, 2020, 3:39 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:09 pm
I found the issue.

On the one that was giving me odd results, the url had a "q" inserted before the "www".

Anyone know what that is? Could it be some kind of spoof site? (Luckily that was the one I was not logged into).
No, it is not possible for it to be a spoof site. It's a different subdomain of wine.com, but for what purpose I do not know. Do you happen to remember how you navigated to it?

I am able to reproduce the price difference you saw by hitting that site. I wonder if you log in and place an order it will go through with the price listed. That would be super interesting to try...

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#979 Post by Philip G » June 25th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:39 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:09 pm
I found the issue.

No, it is not possible for it to be a spoof site. It's a different subdomain of wine.com, but for what purpose I do not know. Do you happen to remember how you navigated to it?

I am able to reproduce the price difference you saw by hitting that site. I wonder if you log in and place an order it will go through with the price listed. That would be super interesting to try...
I stumbled on this recently but didn't notice the price differences. I was able to sign in but it didn't show me having Stewardship and showed my last order as 2018. I didn't notice the qwww at the time. See the same thing now with qwww and additional wines but my stewardship doesn't show up.

Agree it is a subdomain and shouldn't be spoofed.
Chip G@@d

Chris Crutchfield

#980 Post by Chris Crutchfield » June 25th, 2020, 3:49 pm

If that's the case, then it's likely a dev or staging server and the user data is probably an old copy of the production user database (given your order history and lack of stewardship). Most likely if you logged in and placed an order it would not get fulfilled, and hopefully your card wouldn't even be charged. But who knows, really.

No idea why it's publicly accessible... most people lock these sorts of things down.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#981 Post by Philip G » June 25th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Looks like its a snapshot including user info, pw, wine database. I changed my www pw but this didn't change the qwww pw.
Chip G@@d

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#982 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 25th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:39 pm
Do you happen to remember how you navigated to it?

I just replicated it. I don't know how it got to be like this, but on my laptop, using Edge (not the newest version with the multi-colored logo but the prior version with the "E" that is all the same shade of blue) when I open a new tab, it "suggests" previously visited sites in little boxes across the middle, one of which is wine.com. Clicking on that takes me to the "Q" site.

On my other devices, this doesn't happen and using the same methods, or just starting to type "wine.com" and letting autocomplete do the rest takes me to the regular site.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#983 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 25th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Philip G wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:43 pm

I stumbled on this recently but didn't notice the price differences. I was able to sign in but it didn't show me having Stewardship and showed my last order as 2018. I didn't notice the qwww at the time. See the same thing now with qwww and additional wines but my stewardship doesn't show up.

Agree it is a subdomain and shouldn't be spoofed.
The first thing I noticed wasn't the price differences, but the vintage availability differences but then also the prices when I looked closer.

I must have logged in after all because now that you say that about the order history, I saw that too but had forgotten about it. It showed my last order as several years ago and it did not have my stewardship.

I assume if the q site is showing a vintage as available and the "no q" site is showing it as not available, and I tried to order it, it would not work.

A d a m S.

#984 Post by A d a m S. » June 25th, 2020, 4:22 pm

For what it's worth, when referrals were still a thing, qwww.wine.com would pop up when you clicked on a referral link and were being encouraged to accept the referral and establish a new account.
Brunellist

Σ ç ħ υ λ µ α η

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#985 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 25th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Hm, can’t login to Rakuten atm

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#986 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 25th, 2020, 4:59 pm

A d a m S. wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:22 pm
For what it's worth, when referrals were still a thing, qwww.wine.com would pop up when you clicked on a referral link and were being encouraged to accept the referral and establish a new account.
Ah, maybe that's where I got it. I did click on a couple of the referral links in this thread at one point, but never bought anything because, among other things, I was shopping for 2019 Bdx Futures at the time and they weren't showing up as available, and because my stewardship wasn't showing up. I couldn't figure out how those links were causing me to not see wines I knew were available, etc. but I was busy and didn't worry about it, I just stopped worrying about the whole referral thing and moved on. I didn't make the connection, but that must be it - I must have been on my laptop when I did that and it saved the "q" URL while my other machines - the ones I usually shop from - never had the URL in memory because I never clicked on any referral links while on those machines.

Still bizarre but becoming more clear...

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#987 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 25th, 2020, 6:15 pm

New "wine.com" topic:

Next to the "add to cart" button, there's a little "found a lower price?" link that asks you to email "pricing@wine.com" with some details. Has anyone ever done this? Have you had any success? Given that their pricing is typically much higher than just about anyone else, I can't imagine that they generally price match or the like. Is this just a "thank you for the information" black hole or has anyone ever gotten a price match or price reduction by doing this?
Last edited by D@ve D y r 0 f f on June 25th, 2020, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adam caldwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#988 Post by adam caldwell » June 25th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Dave I have used it a bunch of times, sometimes they just say thanks, sometimes they drop the price, sometimes they send me a small coupon for something, sometimes they say yeah we know we’re good where it is.

joejolesch

#989 Post by joejolesch » June 25th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Mike R wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 7:13 am
joejolesch wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 5:00 am

...so....any new codes?
[rofl.gif]
$20 off $50, got a 2016 K Vintners The Beautiful Syrah. $42 shipped, easily beats WS low. Aaaaaaaahhhhh that’s the stuff...

[rofl.gif]

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#990 Post by Andre M » June 25th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
Thank you for the code. I just used it and it worked just fine.

Here is my referral if someone needs to buy from Wine Access. Check your AMEX offer as well to combine the deal.
http://share.wineaccess.com/v/andre_3
A M u l y o n o
CT: IndoWino

Vince L.

#991 Post by Vince L. » June 25th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Speaking of WineAccess, has anyone referred their spouse? I know the T&C say same households are not eligible...
l e r t

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#992 Post by Jeff_M. » June 26th, 2020, 12:24 am

Vince L. wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 9:29 pm
Speaking of WineAccess, has anyone referred their spouse? I know the T&C say same households are not eligible...
Yes, referred my wife and used her Amex offer + the referral to stack discounts. Got some nice bottles this way.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Vince L.

#993 Post by Vince L. » June 26th, 2020, 6:22 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:24 am
Vince L. wrote:
Yes, referred my wife and used her Amex offer + the referral to stack discounts. Got some nice bottles this way.
Thanks. Did you use the same addresses?
l e r t

Tyler Rico

#994 Post by Tyler Rico » June 26th, 2020, 7:04 am

2017 Ridge Lytton Springs on wine access for $40, decent price and even better after a referral and Amex offer.

Use the below link for $50 off your first order of $150 or more
http://share.wineaccess.com/v/tyler_3

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#995 Post by Jeff_M. » June 26th, 2020, 7:34 am

Vince L. wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 6:22 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:24 am
Vince L. wrote:
Thanks. Did you use the same addresses?
Yes, same address. I have all my shipments go to an offsite wine locker.

So I referred her and she got the referral discount + Amex offer and then I got another referral discount that I used. I did very well with Wine Access referrals earlier this year sharing the link here with others.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Matt N
GCC Member
GCC Member

#996 Post by Matt N » June 26th, 2020, 7:51 am

Got what appears to be a wine.com coupon that is not in this thread yet:

PW50FB - 50 off 150
Matt Niko

Arv R

#997 Post by Arv R » June 26th, 2020, 8:07 am

Matt N wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:51 am
Got what appears to be a wine.com coupon that is not in this thread yet:

PW50FB - 50 off 150
Any stated expiry on it? Thanks for sharing!
R_@_0

Vince L.

#998 Post by Vince L. » June 26th, 2020, 9:24 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:34 am

So I referred her and she got the referral discount + Amex offer and then I got another referral discount that I used. I did very well with Wine Access referrals earlier this year sharing the link here with others.
=) Exactly what I wanted to hear. We are moving soon; so in theory in could ship to our new address for after the summer :)
l e r t

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#999 Post by Jeff_M. » June 26th, 2020, 9:57 am

Vince L. wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:24 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:34 am

=) Exactly what I wanted to hear. We are moving soon; so in theory in could ship to our new address for after the summer :)
And for reference, I have a friend who did the exact same thing. Used the referral for his wife and used her AMEX offers to knock the prices down on bottles. He was buying Hillside Select for $150 off retail with his codes.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Dennis Atick

#1000 Post by Dennis Atick » June 26th, 2020, 10:24 am

As has been stated by others in this thread, Wine Access has an "interesting" selection of wines. Wish I found more of interest in their inventory. Not making any sweeping indictment, maybe I'm too narrowly-focused, but their curated selections don't do much for me. Outside of a couple Champagnes.
@decaturwinedude

Return to “Wine Talk”