Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Fred Davis
Posts: 34
Joined: January 18th, 2020, 9:47 am

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#301 Post by Fred Davis » March 23rd, 2020, 11:25 am

Tyler B rown wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:43 am
Yes I doubt they are lacking sales volume. With shelter in place growing across the country, people will need their wine!!
This recession should result in a lot of wine sales. No rush to buy.

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4912
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#302 Post by Kris Patten » March 23rd, 2020, 8:20 pm

Fred Davis wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 11:25 am
Tyler B rown wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:43 am
Yes I doubt they are lacking sales volume. With shelter in place growing across the country, people will need their wine!!
This recession should result in a lot of wine sales. No rush to buy.
I'd prefer to support people before the "going out of business sale", worth a couple bucks to avoid profiting off of someone's misfortune.
ITB

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 243
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#303 Post by JonathanG » March 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm

With current shelter in place rules going on, they (wine.com) are probably crushing it right now.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 105
Joined: January 22nd, 2015, 5:30 pm
Location: Chicago NW Burbs

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#304 Post by Larry Chmel » March 24th, 2020, 5:42 am

Any word on more "Buy $300 get $100 off" codes for wine.com? Probably wishful thinking.

Shay h arnoy
Posts: 133
Joined: November 1st, 2019, 7:35 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#305 Post by Shay h arnoy » March 24th, 2020, 9:18 am

I bought at wine.com without a coupon for first time last night.

New thing:
- use retailmenot 18% back
- sent our friends who aren’t that into wine an inexpensive but highly rated bottle of gamay
- ordered for ourselves the same wine
- open it together over dinner on zoom!
- relish in the free shipping

Fred Davis
Posts: 34
Joined: January 18th, 2020, 9:47 am

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#306 Post by Fred Davis » March 24th, 2020, 10:47 am

Kris Patten wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 8:20 pm
Fred Davis wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 11:25 am
Tyler B rown wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:43 am
Yes I doubt they are lacking sales volume. With shelter in place growing across the country, people will need their wine!!
This recession should result in a lot of wine sales. No rush to buy.
I'd prefer to support people before the "going out of business sale", worth a couple bucks to avoid profiting off of someone's misfortune.
Feel free to do what you want, but making a moral judgement and straw-man argument all wrapped in a virtue signal is not a good look.

Michael Brill
Posts: 11
Joined: February 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#307 Post by Michael Brill » March 24th, 2020, 2:57 pm

cjsadler wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 8:31 am
Doubt Wine.com will be issuing any good coupons anytime soon. They seem to be selling out of a lot of stuff-- all the things I had in my cart are now out of stock.
Very few new skus coming into wine.com in the past several days. But still a bunch of great deals and the $50 off of $150 coupons still work. Just bought a case of solid (90-93 pt major reviewers) Bordeaux reds for a friend for $78 delivered.

Michael Brill
Posts: 11
Joined: February 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#308 Post by Michael Brill » March 24th, 2020, 3:22 pm

BTW, if you have StewardShip. Buy yourself a $20 bottle of wine, and enter NCSJAN20 code. You're welcome. ;-)

User avatar
BenW
Posts: 137
Joined: July 27th, 2017, 7:44 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#309 Post by BenW » March 24th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Michael Brill wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:22 pm
BTW, if you have StewardShip. Buy yourself a $20 bottle of wine, and enter NCSJAN20 code. You're welcome. ;-)
Thank you! That was easy. StewardShip pays for itself.
B.Williams

Michael Brill
Posts: 11
Joined: February 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#310 Post by Michael Brill » March 24th, 2020, 4:12 pm

BTW, I have a new version of my Chrome extension to cherry-pick wines from retailers. DM if interested. But with stewardship + promos + national shipping, it's hard to beat wine.com right now, so I'm putting my energy there.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 243
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#311 Post by JonathanG » March 24th, 2020, 8:42 pm

FBSPIR50 at wine.com for 50 off 150. I suspect this was posted either above, or in the Palmer thread, because its telling me I have already used it. This is the first time I have seen a coupon like this on the banner advertised on their website...
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Michael Brill
Posts: 11
Joined: February 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#312 Post by Michael Brill » March 25th, 2020, 2:35 pm

JonathanG wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 8:42 pm
FBSPIR50 at wine.com for 50 off 150. I suspect this was posted either above, or in the Palmer thread, because its telling me I have already used it. This is the first time I have seen a coupon like this on the banner advertised on their website...
These should all work (once/account):
FBR50 $50 on $150
FBPRO50 $50 on $150
FBSPIR50 $50 on $150

User avatar
Cody L
Posts: 43
Joined: February 24th, 2015, 1:39 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#313 Post by Cody L » March 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Michael Brill wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 4:12 pm
BTW, I have a new version of my Chrome extension to cherry-pick wines from retailers. DM if interested. But with stewardship + promos + national shipping, it's hard to beat wine.com right now, so I'm putting my energy there.
Many of the wines on Wine.com (some are competitively priced) are priced 15-20% higher than most wine-searcher lows at other prominent shops. Sure if you want it all in one place and free(ish) shipping with StewardShip it makes sense, but the promos just make you think like you're getting a good deal when you're pretty much getting market prices or more after the promos.

Just a small sample size:
Caymus Cab Napa 2018 - Wine.com - 89.99 - Wine-Searcher - most shops at 75-79
Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir 2016 - Wine.com - On sale for 39.99 (normally 45.99) -Wine-Searcher - ~33-37
Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2017 - Wine.com - 74.99 - Wine-Searcher - 66-71

Just gotta know that's their marketing tactics and know how to research the good deals when you seen them within Wine.com I guess.
Lyons

Mike R
Posts: 49
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 8:37 am

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#314 Post by Mike R » March 25th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Cody L wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Michael Brill wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 4:12 pm
BTW, I have a new version of my Chrome extension to cherry-pick wines from retailers. DM if interested. But with stewardship + promos + national shipping, it's hard to beat wine.com right now, so I'm putting my energy there.
Many of the wines on Wine.com (some are competitively priced) are priced 15-20% higher than most wine-searcher lows at other prominent shops. Sure if you want it all in one place and free(ish) shipping with StewardShip it makes sense, but the promos just make you think like you're getting a good deal when you're pretty much getting market prices or more after the promos.

Just a small sample size:
Caymus Cab Napa 2018 - Wine.com - 89.99 - Wine-Searcher - most shops at 75-79
Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir 2016 - Wine.com - On sale for 39.99 (normally 45.99) -Wine-Searcher - ~33-37
Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2017 - Wine.com - 74.99 - Wine-Searcher - 66-71

Just gotta know that's their marketing tactics and know how to research the good deals when you seen them within Wine.com I guess.
Totally agreed. Wine.com is insanely expensive without the coupon codes. I signed up for the stewardship program because I used literally all of the 50 / 150 and 100 / 300 coupons, so the program paid for itself. I don't think I will ever order from wine.com without a coupon, their pricing just doesn't make sense.
R o p e r

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4212
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#315 Post by Michae1 P0wers » March 25th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Cody L wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Michael Brill wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 4:12 pm
BTW, I have a new version of my Chrome extension to cherry-pick wines from retailers. DM if interested. But with stewardship + promos + national shipping, it's hard to beat wine.com right now, so I'm putting my energy there.
Many of the wines on Wine.com (some are competitively priced) are priced 15-20% higher than most wine-searcher lows at other prominent shops. Sure if you want it all in one place and free(ish) shipping with StewardShip it makes sense, but the promos just make you think like you're getting a good deal when you're pretty much getting market prices or more after the promos.

Just a small sample size:
Caymus Cab Napa 2018 - Wine.com - 89.99 - Wine-Searcher - most shops at 75-79
Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir 2016 - Wine.com - On sale for 39.99 (normally 45.99) -Wine-Searcher - ~33-37
Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2017 - Wine.com - 74.99 - Wine-Searcher - 66-71

Just gotta know that's their marketing tactics and know how to research the good deals when you seen them within Wine.com I guess.
I agree that they are generally very high, and wouldn't pay the full asking price on anything I bought, but with the coupons they most certainly were not "market prices or more." Each of your examples significantly beats W-S low after reducing by 1/3. Beaucastel at $50 is not "market prices or more" if the next lowest is $66. Sure, it's not 1/3 off W-S lowest (though some deals have been, or very close), but I assume most people here are savvy enough wine buyers to know how to find the values. 2010 Ardanza at under $22 was an awfully strong deal.

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2680
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#316 Post by Robert M yers » March 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Just bought 2015 Lanesson for $15 per. You have to make the commitment and buy the shipping pass, once you use it twice it’s all gravy. There are great deals To be had, but I don’t think anybody here is buying from wine . Com without these coupons. I didn’t even know they existed before this, which is maybe their motive.

User avatar
Cody L
Posts: 43
Joined: February 24th, 2015, 1:39 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#317 Post by Cody L » March 25th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 4:00 pm
Cody L wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Michael Brill wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 4:12 pm
BTW, I have a new version of my Chrome extension to cherry-pick wines from retailers. DM if interested. But with stewardship + promos + national shipping, it's hard to beat wine.com right now, so I'm putting my energy there.
Many of the wines on Wine.com (some are competitively priced) are priced 15-20% higher than most wine-searcher lows at other prominent shops. Sure if you want it all in one place and free(ish) shipping with StewardShip it makes sense, but the promos just make you think like you're getting a good deal when you're pretty much getting market prices or more after the promos.

Just a small sample size:
Caymus Cab Napa 2018 - Wine.com - 89.99 - Wine-Searcher - most shops at 75-79
Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir 2016 - Wine.com - On sale for 39.99 (normally 45.99) -Wine-Searcher - ~33-37
Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2017 - Wine.com - 74.99 - Wine-Searcher - 66-71

Just gotta know that's their marketing tactics and know how to research the good deals when you seen them within Wine.com I guess.
I agree that they are generally very high, and wouldn't pay the full asking price on anything I bought, but with the coupons they most certainly were not "market prices or more." Each of your examples significantly beats W-S low after reducing by 1/3. Beaucastel at $50 is not "market prices or more" if the next lowest is $66. Sure, it's not 1/3 off W-S lowest (though some deals have been, or very close), but I assume most people here are savvy enough wine buyers to know how to find the values. 2010 Ardanza at under $22 was an awfully strong deal.
Totally, you're right. (guess I meant to say market or a bit lower) The promos do get you pretty nice deals at the end of the day w/ codes and savvy shopping. To an average buyer w/o the general knowledge of wine pricing, people might think they're getting $50 off $150, but it's less of a percentage deal if you think broadly (you all already know that though).

This was spurred by my girlfriend wanting to load up at my local Safeway with their usual 30% off all Washington wines promo deal, but little did she know it's off their suggested price, not their normal club price, so it's more like 10-15% or maybe even less, but tricks an average shopper into thinking 30% all Washington wines. Grrr But hey, deal's a deal right?
Lyons

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 391
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#318 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » March 25th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Michael Brill wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:22 pm
BTW, if you have StewardShip. Buy yourself a $20 bottle of wine, and enter NCSJAN20 code. You're welcome. ;-)
Didn’t work for me! It says i’m not eligible.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 243
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#319 Post by JonathanG » March 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm

I found their BDX futures prices to be one of the lowest out there for the majority of the wines (and not far off for the rest), if you are in to that sort of thing. Coupled with the free shipping stewardship program, makes it a no brainer.

Some of their lower end wines are competitively priced. The 2010 Ardanza is 10% cheaper than K&L's price, for example, before any coupons.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

User avatar
JulianD
Posts: 746
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 2:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#320 Post by JulianD » March 25th, 2020, 11:53 pm

How often do the 100/300 and 50/150 deals come around?
Davies

User avatar
T. Williams
Posts: 255
Joined: December 11th, 2016, 4:27 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#321 Post by T. Williams » March 26th, 2020, 7:23 am

Is anyone tracking new coupons for wine.com? I haven't had any luck using the old ones or changing numbers at the end. I have a couple orders queued up and have been waiting patiently for a new coupon.
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

Jin F
Posts: 17
Joined: January 9th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#322 Post by Jin F » March 26th, 2020, 3:09 pm

JulianD wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:53 pm
How often do the 100/300 and 50/150 deals come around?
2-3 times a year.
F e n g

User avatar
Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1259
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 9:41 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#323 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » March 26th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Cody L wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Many of the wines on Wine.com (some are competitively priced) are priced 15-20% higher than most wine-searcher lows at other prominent shops. Sure if you want it all in one place and free(ish) shipping with StewardShip it makes sense, but the promos just make you think like you're getting a good deal when you're pretty much getting market prices or more after the promos.
I agree, and that's why I need a $100 off $300 to buy, and even then it's dicey. Here's what I bought, which are good prices but not insanely good:

2016 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia $150.71
2016 Joseph Phelps Insignia Napa Valley Red Bordeaux Blend $185.63
2010 La Rioja Alta Rioja Viña Ardanza Reserva, Selección $22.60
2014 La Rioja Alta Rioja Viña Alberdi Reserva Tempranillo $13.70
2015 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select Stags Leap District $225.79
NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Champagne Blend $64.82

Michael Brill
Posts: 11
Joined: February 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#324 Post by Michael Brill » March 27th, 2020, 11:09 am

You can't really compare winesearcher prices because they don't include shipping, sales tax and promotions. And even within promotions, there are multiple types (coupon codes, cash back sites, credit card/raise.com cashback). For the most part, all of that is just for wine.com.

Before a few months ago, I never bought much from wine.com. Everything split between Garagiste, K&L and bits and pieces of others. But by cherry-picking QPRs, promos and free shipping, I seriously doubt anything comes close to the values you can find on wine.com now.

20 mins ago, I literally got a Fedex delivery of a single bottle of a WE95 sparkler for $0.00.

Michael Brill
Posts: 11
Joined: February 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#325 Post by Michael Brill » March 27th, 2020, 11:10 am

T. Williams wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:23 am
Is anyone tracking new coupons for wine.com? I haven't had any luck using the old ones or changing numbers at the end. I have a couple orders queued up and have been waiting patiently for a new coupon.
I'm trying to, but it's hard because some coupons say they're expired, but they're actually not. Yesterday there were 3 $50 off of $150 coupons, a $20 off $20 coupon (yes, that means free bottle), 10% off $75.

Michael Brill
Posts: 11
Joined: February 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#326 Post by Michael Brill » March 27th, 2020, 11:11 am

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 5:27 pm
Michael Brill wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:22 pm
BTW, if you have StewardShip. Buy yourself a $20 bottle of wine, and enter NCSJAN20 code. You're welcome. ;-)
Didn’t work for me! It says i’m not eligible.
Maybe you already used it? Most coupons are one-time.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”