TN: 2014 Domaine Duroché Bourgogne Blanc (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc)

I don’t have much experience with the whites of Côte de Nuits and most certainly this is my first one made from grapes grown in Gevrey-Chambertin. It is definitely less expressive and less generous than its many southern counterparts and also the whites of Domaine de l’Arlot from Nuits St. Georges for that matter but considering the very modest tariff there is really no point to complain at all.

• 2014 Domaine Duroché Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (11.1.2020)
    The nose offers some ripe, almost exotic fruit notes, smoke and a hint of hazelnut and white pepper. Elegantly oaked, I would say. On the palate it has good volume and texture-wise is on the chiselled side - not much fat here to be found. Thoroughly well balanced with discreet lemony fruit, well-judged oak and very solid acidity. Markedly chalky, a really beautiful expression I think. It is not a showy wine but I enjoy it plenty on its own. The saltiness on the finish really make you first smack your lips and then go for another sip. I paid next to nothing for this bottle and obviously for that it over-delivered. I don’t think it’s something that would gain much from more time in the cellar but right now it’s drinking really splendidly.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note.

I’ve found I rather enjoy CdN whites, when done well they’re unique and very enjoyable. Fourrier Bourgogne Blanc is a great one for my palate. Actually have a 2011 on deck, will post notes when I crack it open.

Please do! I was hoping I would get some suggestions for other CdN whites to try so will keep my eyes open for the Fourrier but I suspect it is a not a terribly widely distributed wine.

Just a heads-up: I love Duroché’s wines, and have tried a range of his village and 1er crus. I loved the first 2014 Bourgogne blanc I had so much I bought two cases of mixed vintages, from various US retailers, and almost every one of them was pre-moxed. YMMV.

Ouch, that really sucks. I’ve understood that premox is by all means totally random (i.e. not depending on provenance) but my bottle, bought in Aix-les-Bains where it had been stored at cool temperature showed absolutely no signs of premox whatsoever and a friend’s bottle from the same shop did not either. I noticed on CT that someone was claiming that this bottling had a lesser quality cork than the producer’s reds. To me it seemed perfectly normal, if not partcularly long.