TN: 2014 Bolt To Ballard Canyon Grenache

2014 Bolt To Ballard Canyon Grenache: Heard a lot about this producer (it’s a sub brand of Dusty Nabor somehow, but the winemaker is shrouded in mystery) and the great wines they made, so got a 6-pack sampler. Oh my god, this is what I like to call a super-extraction wine. Leather, tobacco, huge tannins, lots of oak and with a soft, round finish (but not at all flabby). Not tons of fruit, but don’t really miss it too much. Feels like a Cab from a high end producer in Napa. Excellent in all its plush hugeness. 93pts.

IMG_6448.JPG
IMG_6449.JPG

1 Like

From what I understand, this is their ‘negotiant’ label, butmying excess wine from others and packaging it up. What was the price and what was the abv? Too bad about the oak - grenache tends to be so pretty without it . . .

Hi Larry

Didn’t know that’s what it was! Damn - why didn’t I think of that? Would have saved me a lot of money and sweat equity! [wow.gif]

I paid $190 for their 6-pack sampler. Yeah, it was certainly “bigger” than I would have expected for a Grenache, but very pleasant. I would never have had it down as Grenache in a blind, would have said Cab for sure.

As you know, this is quite common in every region and it should not come as much of a surprise. I’ve seen all kinds of ‘opportunities’ around here - it comes down whether this is a direction you’d like to take or not.

As far as this Grenache not reminding you of a Grenache - that’s a bit of a ‘problem’ to me as a fan of typically. I would think that if someone opened one of your wines and it did not remind them of a Mission, would that be ‘okay’ with you?

Cheers

Oh, I was being facetious. Be so much easier if doing it that way did it for me, but I have to take the long way around. One of my character flaws.

For me Grenache is a chameleon. I can’t say I find it very easy to spot it’s characteristics. The Alto Moncayo Grenache is a huge wine, similar to this Bolt To one, but then there’s the other spectrum like Clementine Carter and the Larner etc. Very different wines.

1 Like

According to purely domestic wine report, Karin Langer is owner & winemaker. Several wines received positive reviews in the latest issue.

I believe Karin is either Dusty’s wife or girlfriend . . .

Cheers

Karin is my girlfriend and partner. She directs all the wines under the Bolt To label. Some of the wines are made by me (under her direction) but most are a negotiant model. That specific Grenache was a lost barrel. Spent 54 months in there. When it was found, we tried it and it was really solid so we bottled it.

I love doing this label. Some of the wines she procures are 3-4x the price of the original producer and many are under sold out mailing lists.

1 Like

Solid is right, Dusty. You and Karin should be very proud of this wine. Bonkers QPR.

1 Like

this is still continued to be produced-meaning same site?

Steve, Here is the information from my reviews on the Bolt To Grenache. Micro production and possibly from the same site, it isn’t likely they would change sources for 1000 lbs of fruit. Doesn’t really matter though - the 2016 is excellent as well, receiving the identical score.

2016 GRENACHE [SIDE KICK] BALLARD CANYON 15.1% 25 cs. $40
2014 GRENACHE BALLARD CANYON 14.3% 25 cs. $35

1 Like