Chardonnay recommendations

Hi,

Would appreciate any Chardonnay recommendations (likely California, but open to other regions) under $60 for someone who loves Chardonnay from Kongsgaard, Aubert, Kistler.

Thanks in advance.

Try a few of the different ones from Liquid Farm, hopefully they will have a B-Day offer.
Also Ramey.

So far, great list!

I will say +1 to those and add…

Rochioli, Peter Michael, Williams Selyem, Lynmar (!), Chasseur, Dutton Goldfield, Davis Family, and likely others as I think more!

Best wishes.

I think Sojourn would be right up your alley and they normally participate in BerserkerDay so that would be a good opportunity to give them a try.

I’m a Martinelli fan; flame away! They are fairly similar to the ones you mention; not for the faint of heart. Give Brian Loring’s chards a try; around $42. I also recommend Failla as a more conservative choice in the $50s.

I agree that Ramey, Rochioli, and Peter Michael are wines right in line with the OP’s preferences… but many are not <$60
Failla would be a contrasting style - early picked fruit, lower alcohol, less oak. Some of the chards (like Hudson vnyd I think) are completely concrete fermented.
I personally LOVE liquid farm,but it’s not like the ones you mentioned. Stylistically it is higher in acidity that the labels he mentioned, but with full fruit and they age like absolute champions. Factor in cost and you have a real winner.
Our house chard is Teeter Totter. Made by benoit toquette, with rich tropical fruit, high-ish alcohol, and judicious use of oak, at $35, that’s my pick for you.

Good one! [cheers.gif]

I like Liquid Farm’s Chardonnays a lot, especially for ones that, in my experience, tend to be a bit more restrained. I’m also a big fan of Lagom (Torrin) Chardonnays. They are definitely bigger and oaked, but I think they are still balanced and fresh.

Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay?

Average USA price for the last two vintages in the United States is $55. (Wine-Searcher)

Walter Hansel Cuvee Alyce

I struggle with Chardonnay, but Failla’s Concrete Egg one is the best one I’ve had in CA so far. But still got a few on the shelf from good producers waiting to get opened.

Several wines here that I don’t think mirror the style that the OP mentions (Kongsgaard, Aubert, Kister). Many very good recommendations in a vacuum, but to me, the examples in the OP are Chardonnays that don’t go very far down the nervy, citrusy, acid-driven road, but also don’t necessarily wade too far into the huge, okay, vanilla-butter Chardonnay pool either. No offense, but I don’t feel like Failla, Liquid Farm, Williams Selyem, etc. are a great fit.

Perhaps: Pride Mountain Vineyards, Au Bon Climat Bien Nacido Vyd., a second for Walter Hansel, Kanzler Vineyards.

Check out Ramey or Rombauer. Not sure which on is closest to the style of kistler and aubert. But one of them are as they are two different ends of the spectrum of california chardonnays.

Other great ones to try (but not butter bombs), cakebread, shafer, grgrch, and joseph phelps. (Theres others but they are more bugundian than cali in style)

From California, try Stony Hill or Mount Eden. Is the Ceritas in this price range or is it more expensive - I have had it but not bought it. Another interesting California Chardonnay is Kalin, where you can get wines with age for a pretty reasonable price.

From France, try either the Bourgogne Blanc from Bernard Moreau (2017 should be $25 to 30) or either his Chassagne Montrachet Villages or one of his premier crus from St. Aubin (these should be $50-60).

Ramey Done and done…

Hartford Court Four Hearts and Ferrari-Carano Tre Tere.

+1 and I would add the rest of their lineup to the list.

Arterberry Maresh?

If you get envoyer offers sometimes they have excellent french chards for about $60

Ramey seems like the most perfect suggestion considering the price guideline, the types of wines OP likes, and being something reasonably available at retail. You can go from their basic RRV Chardonnay (around $30-35) up to the SVDs (around $50-60).

The Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay is one not to miss, but I expect most of them are good.

At around $40 and widely available, Cakebread is a good choice.