Domaine Dujac vs. Dujac Fils & Pere

I have an offer to buy some Chambolle and Morey and the Domaine Dujac is 25% more expensive than the F&P. I have some experience with these wines but not enough side by side to decide whether DD is worth 25% more. I suspect not, but wanted to ask as I am sure there are plenty here with lots of experience. Thanks! Paul

In my experience the Domaine is indeed a materially better wine. I do not buy the F&P wines, even though they are less expensive. It’s possible this has changed with more recent vintages but I doubt it.

In my experience it is not even close. Own scores of bottles of Dom Dujac (from back in the day) and one of the FP that I purchased by accident because I wasn’t paying attention.

I agree!.. the P&F are good wines… very trustworthy… but not special… The domaine are well worth the premium… but are very difficult to get. (I just got a Malconsorts and a Morey Domaine this year… Keeps the Lady happy as if I could get 12 bottles…, I would buy them without hesitation…)

Thanks to all, very helpful.

Helpful thread for myself as well. Good to get opinions on things like this.

Can someone explain the general relationship/difference between the two labels?

Other than one being better and more expensive than the other, why are there the two labels, and what do the two different labels mean? For example, is one estate vineyards and the other purchased fruit, or do they have different winemakers, etc.?

Precisely. Domaine is effectively “estate”. F&P is negociant - purchased fruit.

Per Jeremey Seysses… the wine making is identical once fruit arrives into the Domaine… (oak/barrel treatment can be different based on wine maker decision of course).

Domaine Dujac = fruit owned by the domaine = 100% decision/action on the fruit/vineyard treatment
F & P = negotiant fruit, though they have input on vineyard treatment / pick, drop, etc decisions… but it’s not 100%.

I’m actually curious to try similar bottlings blind to see if i’m biased by the label.
Has anyone blinded the same vintage of say the MSD village and see?

I suspect the difference isn’t as night and day, but i wouldn’t be surprised the Domaine is better.

That would be a cool blind tasting. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been done before.

Are there other Burg producers (maybe ones at less stratospheric price points) where that might be a fun blind tasting exercise?

1 Like

It would be a good tasting but the most interesting ones to me - Fourrier, Roulot, maybe Liger-Belair or Leroy - are all “stratospheric” as you say.

The negociants would be interesting - for instance, my impression is that Jadot’s and Drouhin’s domaine wines are often far superior to their negoc wines, but I’d be interested in testing that blind.

Under French labeling laws, a Domaine name is restricted to wines made from vineyards the producer owns.

1 Like

… or rents or leases or whatever …
but not from purchased fruit.

Not that I have F&P often, but the domaine bottlings have definitely a much stronger individuality and character - F&P is good and well made, but lack the “special something” … hard to express but I hope you know what I mean …

Wine-Searcher doesn’t clock the difference between the two, so it’s easy to buy the wrong one.

1 Like

Yes, I have with the MSD and the domaine is markedly better.

Cool… good to know, thanks for feedback.

Follow up: can we have a bit more info? i.e. what vintages did you sample of each… and when you say markedly better… was nose more explose? palate more depth? complexity?
just curious as i love the producer.

thx!

I dipped into a 2013 Chambolle-Musigny Village P&F over the holidays. It was delicious. Where there are domaine and negoce bottlings from the same appellation, I buy both when offered, but the premium is not huge in my market - maybe 15%. Meadows reviews seem to suggest that there are years where one does better than the other, but I don’t know if that’s just a moment in time tasting artifact.

Cheers,
fred

I think the MSD from F&P is a surprisingly great village wine. I seek it and buy it when I can. But I generally collect and drink the Domaine wines.

i believe some domaine wines were labeled as fils & pere in the first year of production, for example both malconsorts and romanee st vivant in 2005.

grouphug

They had to … only in 2005, because of legal reasons after the purchase from Moillard.