How does one extract a broken cork from inside a bottle?

Alright, folks. I wrongly chose not to use the Durand to remove a cork from a 2006 Musar to decant prior to a tasting today (as an aside, CellarTracker notes seem to suggest that it’s ready to drink without decant, but I didn’t get that impression upon initial taste and elected to decant for a while) and sure enough, the cork broke midway out and I couldn’t get the remnant out so I pushed it in. Now, I’d prefer to replace the wine into the original bottle vs. putting it into another label but I’m not sure there is a good way to get the cork out. I might just bring a strainer, but was wondering if any of you bright minds know of a way to get a cork remnant out of a bottle.

Thanks in advance and cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy,
I was successful once. I emptied the contents into a decanter (strained while doing so).

With the bottle empty, found a 16" metal kebab skewer in my kitchen, got lucky, pinned the cork upright between the wall of the glass and the punt and was able to skewer it…the skewer was wide enough that it split the cork in half (was about 1" of cork) and i got it to tumble out the neck.

Honestly though…i think i was exceptionally lucky.

Happy fishing.

I use one of the metal wires from an old digital thermometer and loop it around the cork and pull it through. it takes some messing around and some patience but it has worked every time.

Thanks, guys. I was going to fish it out with some string attached to large bead but first tried the kebab skewer and while I wasn’t successful in sliding it out in “whole,” I was able to essetnailly macerate it into smaller pieces which simply fell out. Success!

A high strength thin cloth cut into 2” or so strip. Put the strip of cloth in the bottle, turn the bottle upside down and pull the cloth out with the cork. It may take a few tries but the cork will come out with the strip of cloth.

OK too late. Try it in the future. Works for me every time. Even on whole corks.

Excellent suggestion, Matt. I’ll try that next time!

Smash the bottle open. Always works.

There are a couple of devices (the Swiss Cork-Lift is one) that allows you to reach down into the btl, capture the cork, and pull it directly out. The two I have are pretty effective.
Tom

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-3-Pronged-Bottle-Retriever-Handle/dp/B00DJXQTBO

I usually bring it with me to tastings.

Here’s a demo.

There is the old napkin trick. Empty the contents into another bottle or decanter. Using a cloth napkin, fold a corner to make a spoon shape, slide the napkin corner into the bottle, and try to “catch” the cork in the napkin fold. Then slowly pull it towards the neck and out of the bottle.

Interesting, Greg. Thanks for sharing.

On a related note, be sure not to be wearing nice clothes when you push a cork into the bottle; splatter may occur.

I have one of those, and one of these, which I like better: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Corkfish+Wine+Cork+Retriever&i=garden&ref=nb_sb_noss

(I’ve also used them to get bungs out of carboys and jugs.)

Oh, I’ve been there before, main reason I eventually decided to find a better way to deal with old corks. And I usually have wine stain remover in my wine bag as well :slight_smile:

As for Durand, as much as I really like the device, I also wasn’t thrilled with carrying one to tastings, that would be an expensive toy to lose. So, same as cork fisher above I found an interesting rather very small and folding gizmo that imitates Durand (along with even a cheap A-So, of course), works like a charm most of the time and fails only on some very very old, soaked through corks (as will Durand). So, have both it and the cork fisher with me at all times.

There is actually one more way to extract corks, but I would not it use on old(er) bottles with plenty of sediment. Or use a filter afterwards.

this is a much better and probably less frustrating version of what I said I do above lol

I’ve gone back with a Durand after a cork has broken and it’s work well for me every time. I’d just shift and use the Durand once the cork broke.

I’ve used a couple versions of this over 20+ years when corks, whole or part of one, have dropped into the bottle. They’re easy, quick, reliable and cheap. If you open older wines regularly, you really should have one.

These rely on the fact that the cork will float, though, so you don’t want to pour the wine out before using the device.

I read the OP to be asking what to do when part of the cork has dropped into the wine.

Right. I tried to get the fragment with the Durand but I wasn’t successful