2020 Wine Resolutions

Anyone have any wine related resolutions this year?

My wine resolutions tend to fit in to my overall main resolution which is to be more conscious about the amount of waste I generate and am responsible for. Would like to focus on producers that farm responsibly and work on making my house more environmentally friendly.

And also drink more Burgundy.

On a related note I’m also taking suggestions for environmentally friendly burgundy producers.

My wife and I, and another couple that we socialize with regularly, just committed to a dry January (with two exceptions). Now that said, we made the commitment while at the Club for NY Day brunch with endless Bloody Mary’s (our definition of tailgating, not Jay Hack tailgating), followed by the Club Lounge and unlimited drinks at the Bama v Michigan game, lol. :wink:

I do intend to be far more deliberative about my 2020 purchases. Despite daily consumption, I’m up a net 250+ bottles in 2019 with some big purchases. My “cellar” is close to where it needs to be, now I will do just some selective backfills and stick tightly to some perennial purchases, like Gonon, Vatan, Plouzeau FDP, etc.

Goals for 2020:

Buy less, drink more.
Go to fewer funerals.
Get my handicap down.

Drink at the same rate but buy less.
Sleep more.

Buy more cherries to share with friends, but less wine overall.

1 Like

Enjoy more of the special wines stashed along my vinous path.
Drink less often and finish earlier in the evening to improve quality and duration of sleep
Back fill my favs, lower alcohol mature, old school gems.

Drink Less (we drank 140+ bottles this year as opposed to ~50 in 2018, only counting bottles from the cellar and drank at home/with family and friends)
Buy More Quality and Less Quantity (last year we had to re-stock cellar defenders so we ended up with many case quantities of Wednesday wines, but we didn’t buy many special occasion bottles)
Finish the build out of my wine cellar so that my basement doesn’t look like a disorganized loading dock.

After years of drinking more and more narrow and ending up with a cellar of California Zins, blends and over priced cabs, I want to drink more broadly. Too much good wine in the world.
Also want to procure more locally. Time to give the locals guys my business.

Buy less than I drink and drink less than I did last year.

Buy less. Consume more sparkling, riesling, and white burgundy.

I want to keep my cellar at about its current level. Consumed 276 bottles last year, mostly 750s. Bought 304 bottles so purchases and consumption are fairly close together. I buy mostly old world with some age on them so they are ready or near ready to drink. I am too old to buy and hold for 10+ years. If the 100% tariff goes into effect, then my buying will drop precipitously as will my inventory. I can only hope that if the tariff is implemented, it doesn’t last long or I will be out of wine in a few short years.

Drink less…
buy less…
continue to explore wines I don’t know about, and fight the tariffs whenever I can.

• Drink the same amount (according to CT, I was actually in range of 2018 by a few bottles)
  • Buy Less. I still need to bring the cellar down.
  • I drank a lot of young wines last year that needed more time. I need to pay more attention to that.

Not just buy less. I’m giving myself a specific target: Buy no more than 12 bottles in 2020 (other than restaurant purchases for on-site consumption). So far, 1.5 days down and 0 bottles. Winning!

Wow!

I’m going to bet the ‘over’ on your resolution!

However, a very worthy aspiration.

My resolution is to really slow down on buying “basic” bottles at below $50. I find that we have a big supply already and my wife gets a ton of below $30 stuff from work in the trade. I am going to concentrate my budget toward the above-$75 stuff.

I’m going to coravin and drink more basic (below $50) stuff and have part-bottles on weeknights. For some reason, we’re reluctant to open stuff on a weeknight when we really only want one glass each.

I’m also going to see if I can finally build a “cellar” at home later in 2020. Both my wife and I want to do it and get rid of at least half of our off-site lockers. The delay has been that she wants a more utilitarian cellar just built out of the majority of our garage bays accessed from the rest of the garage. I want to blow through part of an interior wall, glass it in to the house and make for more of a showcase. My way will cost significantly more, be less reversible and/or a poor return on investment. Odds are she’ll prevail in that debate.

Finish my cellar, stop buying stuff I don’t really drink and focus on stuff I like (mostly champagne and red burg). Buy the best 18s (daughter’s birth year)

You can still make it her way but make the interior pleasing to you as a compromise!

You should go for it!

Oops: edited - I meant to post to John.

I’m with you on all but the handicap. Don’t think I can get it further down at my age but determined to play more golf.

To NOT be BD Champ! [cheers.gif]