Recent 2013 Burg tasting notes

Saw an article where Steen Öhman was praising 2013 burgs. I have popped very few of these so far, but the ones I’ve popped I’ve really liked, mostly village Gevrey and some chassagne premier cru reds. Has anyone had any grand cru or big premier crus lately? I’m pretty deep on the 13s from top producers, but haven’t opened any yet.

I don´t know Steen Öhman …

I´ve had 2 Village and 1 PC (Chevillon) over the last 6 weeks: all far too primary for me, lots of acidity, quite tannic and not much more than youthful red fruit and a bit of oak.
Yes, promising, but too early imho.
I don´t see any reason (personally) to open one from my cellar now and over the next years … 2011s are a better choice - if one doesn´t have anything more aged.
Drank 1996, 1976, 1964 and 1961 last Tuesday - much more pleasure.

I have a similar experience. I have had several Hudelot and Bachelet from '13 over the past couple months. Still very primary with pretty firm acidity is what sticks in my memory from those bottles.

He writes the wine hog blog.

I have a 76 Clerget Veresuil I may open sometime soon. No idea how it will be but I guess we’ll see.

I love to read everything written by Mr. Steen Ohman - who sometimes posted here but not lately.

He wrote an article of La Tache on 2014/08/17:

La Tâche – a historic view on a legendary grand cru
August 17, 2014 By Steen Öhman
La Tâche is a legendary grand cru with a quite interesting history. It has always been a monopole – but nevertheless the monopole status have been challenged and the vineyard expanded quite dramatically within the last 100 years…

2013 red is now between age 6 and 7 …not the best time to open them.

I did some comparative tastings between Damoy"s Chambertin and Clos Tamisot ( Gervey village ) from vintage 2014 and vintage 2013.

At the beginning the event…everyone preferred the 2014 ( as they were more expressive and easily to be liked )… …but after 90 minutes to 120 minutes - most preferred the 2013 ( as they became more structured and gained more weight and complexity).

Really depends on producer and appellation. Some are more precocious (e.g. Felettig, Georges Noëllat, and surprisingly Mugneret Gibourg), some are what I would describe as young but structurally charming enough to be approachable (e.g. Roumier, Dujac, d’Angerville, Leroy, Cathiard), and some are really quite firm and introverted (e.g. Claude Dugat). While I like very much how the wines are developing, I am not opening any of my own bottles yet, and it will be another 3-5 years before I really consider it. I think most Côte d’Or wines are now sufficiently expensive whereby opening bottles speculatively doesn’t make much sense, and for the most part it’s a safe assumption that any wines that were worth buying will be better age fifteen than at age seven.

If anyone does really want to try a 2013 now, see if you can find a Felettig Chambolle Combottes. That, I have to say, is showing brilliantly.

Agreed on not being a great time to open. That being said, I have opened two recently that I have in sufficient quantity to get a read (Hudelot Noellat Vosne-Romanee and Fourrier Gevrey VV). A lot to like at first (and agreed that more structured/classic than 2014s). I’m excited about the future of the 2013s, but right now they shut down hard once they have a little air. Won’t be touching anything from 2013 again for quite some time.

Totally agree … [cheers.gif]

I do not own too many 2013 reds…and definitely holding on all my Damoy 2013 - including his Tamisot.

Yeah, I will probably wait 3 years or so, I have a few Roumier and Barthod Cras that I’d like to do a horizontal on at some point. Also, quite a few Rousseau grand cru I am waiting on, probably at least 5-10 years.

How are people finding 2013s compared to 2014s? Neither is a hyped vintage, so deals can be found (relatively speaking). I have liked some from each but don’t feel as though I’ve tasted widely enough to form an opinion on ageability and consistency with respect to these two years.

after tasting hundreds of 17s and 18s - 2014s are a breath of fresh air :wink:
They are much easier to appreciate now than the average 2013 - 13 has some great wines, very well-defined from a terroir perspective, but as William points out, many with a certain structure, if not overt angularity…

I’ll throw 2012 in there as well. I don’t have strong preferences among 2012/2013/2014. They are each different, but around the same overall quality wise and really are producer/wine dependent vintages. If you like a producer, would venture you generally would like them in each of those three vintages. Of course, as with every average+ vintage, there are wines to avoid as well.

And completely agree on good deals - recently snagged a case of 2012 Hudelot Noellat Murgers at $56 a bottle and a case of 2014 Chevillon Vaucrains at $70 a bottle. Granted, I had tasted both, so not buying blindly in those vintages.

I would personally rate 2012 quite a bit higher than 13 or 14. The wines are very concentrated and also had a tendency to become a bit reduced in bottle, so I have forgotten them in my cellar. But from barrel, this was a very striking vintage, especially for the red wines of the Côte de Nuits, and there are some legendary bottles in the making that just need a bit of age.

I think the longer you wait, the more richly rewarded you will be.

Depending on which Rousseau grands crus you have, some of those might well be a bit more approachable sooner than Ghislaine’s 2013 Cras, as that wine is very slow to evolve. For me, a vintage such as 2000 is only just beginning to hit its plateau.

I’ve always viewed 14 as a classic burgundy vintage; a little riper than 13 but balanced and much less ripe or concentrated than 15-17.

William would you classify 12 as similar to 16?

Oh, I see, thanks … he writes very interesting historical vineyard summeries…

Reg. the 1976 I´d recommend slow-ox for 4-5 h … then decanting (or not).
All the bottles mentioned above (1996, 1976, 1964 and 1961 ) have been treated like this and they were singing, incl. 1976 Auxey-Duresses (Village)/Leroy.

You probably know that the Auxey red back then came from the parcel that is now Macabrée in white for Domaine d’Auvenay. Lalou always says she rather regrets planting it over to white. 1969 was still drinking great last year.

In red, yes, you could say that; and with some similarities to '10, too—but with thicker, creamier fruit than either. I was still doing my doctorate back then but I visited a lot of producers in Fall 2013 and again in February 2014 to taste 2012s before bottlings, and I remember them very vividly as thrilling wines. A brilliant vintage for Mugneret-Gibourg, for example, as well for Barthod, DRC, Joseph Roty, etc etc, but the wines have closed down and there have been other exciting vintages since, so '12 reds seem not to be especially talked about at the moment. Indeed, it has been a while since I have tasted any or discussed them with producers, but given the concentration, energy, purity of fruit, and what appears to be notable redox potential of the wines, I am very happy to have diverted most of my scholarship that year to buying a lot of the 2012 red Burgundies!

I prefer ´12 (slightly) to ´14 and clearly to ´13 …
2012 had the most intense and charming fruit of the three, but also a lot of (hidden) structure … and has closed down a bit now.
I did not think of comparing it with 2016 …
2014 was very balanced and quite charming, will give pleasure earlier (than 12+13).

2013 reminds me a bit on something between 1995 and 1996 … needing time. No resemblance to really great vintages like 1990 or 1999.