Bottle "oil-like" imperfections, a sign of seepage?

Just got a bottle of Krug 168me and was placing it in the wine ref when I noticed that it had a lot of these “oil-like” stains on the bottle. What I mean by oil-like is there are these stains on the bottle that are semi rainbow in nature, almost like when someone subjects the glass to fire. I tried to rub them with some cotton and 70% rubbing alcohol but it never went away. With that my initial thoughts was this was done in the bottle manufacturing process and not seepage as it it was seepage the stains would have cleared out with the alcohol. I also tried WD 40 on paper towel, same thing, did not disappear, usually any sticker paste, grease or oil is dissolved with WD 40.

Anyone here have any thoughts? Should I return the bottle for an exchange?

If the corks and cages are fine, I would not worry.

Can’t tell clearly though as the cork and cage is under the gold foil cover.

Since you tried to wipe it off with alcohol and WD-40, I would say it’s too late to return now.

Tried to wipe off a small part of the bare bottle surface, so no damage was done to the bottle, and also the stains remained on the bottle, nothing was removed and that’s why I am confused to what these stains are. Not really sure if there is a reason for them to deny the return or exchange.

You saw a little rainbow pattern on the outside of the bottle and tried to wipe it off with solvents and it’s still there and you think it could be from the contents of the bottle?

What do you think might be in the bottle that could make a permanent oil-based stain? Surely not something you would willingly ingest!

Normally people use a welding torch to burn oily residue off a wine bottle, but in this case, that seems extremely risky.

An electric lathe, with both grinding and polishing wheels, may be better.

A picture is worth a thousand words I guess. Anyway, these stains are all over the bottle.
krug-01.jpg
krug-02.jpg

Rub with dishwashing soap.

Seems it bothers you a lot so I suggest talking to them and see where it goes.

Pop the cork and drink up. Life is too short. The bubbles will be fine.

To clarify, the reason why I posted this here is just to get some suggestions. I plan to keep the wine for a few years so popping it now is not an option. I just bought this the other day exchanging this probably will not be too difficult. I just wanted to get some other people’s insight and see if I am being too paranoid. This is not a cheap bottle of wine for me, its about $185 after tax, which to some might be chump change but for me it is not. I plan to open this on a special occasion in the future. I have other champagne at different price points which I plan to open on more regular occasions. I just would hate to open this in the future and find it oxidized or heat damaged and think back to the time when I probably should have exchanged it. It can also be totally fine in the future as well, I do not know, hence I am looking for people more knowledgeable than me for some suggestions.

Seriously Joel, those stains aren’t going to be from seepage. The capsule looks in great shape and there’s nothing I can think of in wine that would cause those kinds of stains. Wine would have been cleaned by your solvents. As Victor suggests, you might try detergent.

I think that even if you took a heat gun or torch you wouldn’t have been able to do those stains. Maybe Victor’s grinder, but those aren’t the marks of a grinder. It looks like something rubbed up against the bottle somehow.

Based on those pics, I wouldn’t worry about it at all. You can talk to the vendor but they may not do anything, so don’t hope for too much. Still, I think you’re going to be fine. champagne.gif

Looks like a glass manufacturing defect

All six of mine(from KL) have some varying degrees of what you are describing to the bottle. Had one already…the wine is solid as a rock!

Thanks Buzz, got mine from K&L as well. Good to hear that the wine is sound, will be opening mine a few years down the road.

Yep.

Hope there are no missing bottle plant employees, perhaps Graisseux Pierre did not just walk off the job. Ha!

It’s only the glass.

Excessive Hot End Surface Treatment is a type of glass defect during the manufacturing process of glass bottles.

Tin: visible iridescence on the empty article, more obvious when filled.

Titanium: barely visible or invisible mark on empty article, it gives the product a dark/purplish color (DE)

Good glossary:

General guide:

Thanks for posting this Joel and for that info Anton. Have that on some bottles as well and always wondered how/why it happened