Champagne TNs from NYE: Krug, Vilmart, Comtes Rose, Laherte-Freres, Bouchard

We hosted our annual NYE get together. 3 couples, sharing a meal, dessert, movie. We typically have a lot of great bottles on this particular night, to wish off the old year and in with the new. We had some still wines open, and I recall the 2016 Cirq Treehouse I think, but didn’t take any notes. We also had a 2017 Carlisle DuPratt Zin which was really showing well, but I forgot TNs. Mainly, I was enjoying the company and laughs, and scrawling out TNs on the Champagnes. I sourced the Krug last week and it arrived in time for last night’s dinner. What a helluva bottle of wine, and alongside the 2008 Vilmart GCdO, these were shining stars for the evening. Happy new year to everyone.

• 2006 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Rosé Brut - France, Champagne (1/1/2020)
    I have had 2 bottles of this now, both generously shared with me from other friend’s cellars. Last night’s bottle showed a stone fruit aroma, like a peach, along with strawberry cream. My challenge though with this wine is that I simply find it to be too sweet for me. Whereas the Laherte-Freres Les Beaudiers rose we had prior to it showed good cut and a lift of acidity, I find the Comtes Rose to be boring and lacking in complexity. I typically don’t care for Comtes nor go along with the rave reviews for it, as much as folks who drink with me don’t like the leaner style that I prefer. My point is that a style can reflect energy and intensity, regardless of dosage, and I just don’t find it here.
  • 2008 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d’Or - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (1/1/2020)
    80% Chard, 20% PN. 7 g/l dosage. Alongside the 167eme Krug last night, this Vilmart was nearly as good. It has a distinct dried lime note, with terrific structure and intensity, finishing with a honeyed apple note. I bought these bottles 5 years ago, first one I have opened and it was fantastic to drink. Great future ahead for this vintage of GCdO.
  • 2016 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Côte de Val Vilaine - France, Champagne (1/1/2020)
    Disgorged April 2018, 100% PN and zero dosage. Raspberry, red apple, creamy lime and a texture that really worked for me.
  • NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 167eme - France, Champagne (1/1/2020)
  1. Blend of vintages from 1995 through 2011, composed of 191 wines. My notes from last night say lime, lime, lime! Apple tart, superb balance and an aroma of crushed rocks. Even at the 3 hour mark with this open, it retains a sexy, limey core that was the bottle of the night for me. First Krug I have bought and opened, this lived up to the reputation and quality I was hoping to taste.
  • NV Laherte Frères Champagne Rosé de Saignée Vieilles Vignes Les Beaudiers - France, Champagne (1/1/2020)
    Disgorged 01/2017, 100% PM. Dosage says .5 to 5 g/l. Aromatics remind me of the NV Vilmart Rubis. Flavors of tangy, bright strawberry, like biting into a ripe piece of the fruit. Lime, green apple and a tangy, zesty finish.
  • NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (1/1/2020)
    Disgorged June 2017, 70% Chard, 30%PN. I’m finding the more recent bottles of the GC more to my liking, and has been my recent experience with the wine, last night’s bottle showed the same citrusy intensity married with a candied apple and lime fruit impression. This particular disgorgement seems to have the right mix of pure, citrusy fruit and a seductiveness.

Posted from CellarTracker

Happy New Year, Frank.
I love your notes, and I’m happy have every one of those in my cellar. I have several of the '06 Taittinger Comtes Rosés, but have yet to open one. I suspect I’ll like it as I love the Bdb.
WT

Thanks for the notes, Frank. And Happy New Year!

Sounds like drink or hold on the ‘08 Vilmart?! I also bought some on release and haven’t popped a bottle. If you ever make it out East, you might be interested in my 18+ year experiment aging NV Grand Cellier and Rubis Rosé.

I’m (worried I’m) coming around to Krug MV in certain releases and your 167 note suggests it’s up my alley. You should try 168 if you get a chance. I enjoyed it a few weeks ago.

On that Laherte Rosé I’ve had one on tap for a while and am just looking for the right venue, i.e., a dinner involving Jay Miller and Suzanne Camhi.

Jayson, regarding the 2008 Vilmart GcDO, I just poured off another glass from last night’s bottle. it’s retained the CO2 pretty well, too. Fantastic drinking right now, but I have to keep telling people that read my TNs that I like structure and tension, and I also don’t like older wines. That said, you can drink this now and enjoy some of the coil that’s here, or continue to age it. It’s really a beautiful wine. Pear, honeyed pippin apple, lively citrus. Excellent.

I do have a bottle of 168 that was shipped to me last week. Will try that at some point in the coming weeks.

I never seem to get East anymore but it sounds like a terrific experiment. As a side note, I also just tried the remainder of the Vilmart NV Grand Cellier, which was not kept under stopper so it was virtually still when I poured it. There is a distinct salinity on the wine today that I did not pick up on last night. This is a really good disgorgement for GC.

Nice notes Brother Frank and a great way to celebrate NYE. Happy you opened the Krug 167eme as I have not had it yet and am curious as to whether to let it rest or go for it. Think I’ll go for it.

All the best in the New Year to you and Jill.

While an unabashed Comtes fan I almost always prefer the BdeB to the Rose and since the latter is more expensive I don’t buy it. The one exception was the 2004 which I liked even more than the already spectacular BdeB.

Me too although I bought 3 bottles of the 07 Rose for some reason and haven't had any yet, but soon to open one. Im not in to sweet stuff and after reading Franks notes above on the 06, I’m not so sure I made a good buy.

Drinking the Villmart tonight for post-NY party along with caviar and foie gras. Friends are opening a 2000 Salon.

What, really? Champagne Lord Murray III and this is the first Krug you bought and opened?

Not a 2000…not produced. [wink.gif]

Blake, probably the opposite is likely to happen, as you and I see the Comtes differently (to include the 2007 CdC, which I thought was fine when I had it a few months ago but not worth $125). You consistently like CdC, so forget about my impression and see what you think.

I’ll open one this coming Tuesday for my dinner group and report back Frank.