....'s GC Burg Offline, 12/30 NYC: Some TN's

It was great to meet those in attendance at PDH on a rainy Monday night. Whites on offer included a 1987 Lauer Sekt and a 2016 Fevre Chablis Preuses, as well as a Prum, which I did not catch. (This NYC crew just opens all the bottles and people drink as and when they will, not my usual MO, though it worked fine, albeit leading to a bit of confusion, as with the Prum.)
There were 7 GC Burgs, the oldest of which was the 1990 B. Ambroise Corton Le Rognet, brought by Windy. The rest were from '05 and later; all were interesting, and good, though three seemed to be, to various degrees, crying out for more time in the bottle: the '01 Faiveley Corton Le Corton, the '05 Jadot Chapelle Chambertin and the '09 Meo-Camuzet Corton Les Perrieres.
The remaining three, consequently, were mine, and perhaps everyone’s, wines of the night; they were also in certain respects remarkably different wines. The final wine was pop n’pour; the second had definitely been opened in advance, as had I believe the first.
2007 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin
This leads with a strong raspberry note both in the nose and the mouth. It is remarkable for its purity and balance, displaying a long slightly earthy finish framed by a kiss of oak.
07 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvee Madeleine Collignon, Faiveley
Exhibiting an entirely different flavor profile, this wine was in a great place. Darker fruited, it mixed those flavors with a distinctive creosote or gunpowder note. (Some said barnyard, but it did not show that way to me.) It was a less linear wine than the first; the tastes combined and resolved into a single powerful whole that was, however, consistently interesting and delightful to drink.
2007 Dujac Echezeaux
This appeared ttill purple in the glass with a remarkable transparency. It was arguably the most complex and intellectual of the three. Initially the stem inclusion was identifiable, along with a good deal of dense material in the finish. As it resolved, purple fruits stepped forward that gave way to a lengthy finish where soil, and a hint of black tea and some spice (star anise?) emerged. It seemed a Dujacian variation on Echezeaux, giving a window both on vintage and terroir, while still being Dujac.

07 as a vintage is very underrated. I wonder if 17 will end up turning out similarly, in time.

Yes, Michael,

For near term drinking, they are quite nice. I’ve basically stopped buying new-release red burg, only a few '16, so can’t speak to the '17 comparison myself.

The '07 Faiveley Corton-clos des cortons is very good right now.

Was that the first vintage of the “new school” Faiveley? Or last vintage of the old?

New!