Rivers Marie - help me decide...

Never tasted their pinot. I mostly drink Burgundy and Bordeaux. For reference SOME domestic pinots that I like are:
Rhys
2007 Kutch
Arterberry Marsh
Brooks

Some that aren’t my style:
Kosta Browne
Loring
A.P. Vin
Domaine Serene

Anyone out there who sorta knows what I prefer have a recommendation? (For the record, I’m likely buying the chard.)

TIA
-Ed

Chard is tremendous. SC is an easy buy @ the price and i’d guess you’ll like the other wines if you like some mineral aspects in your PN. Summa OV never disappoints.

Thanks Glenn,
I like mineral and earth but am not a fan of sweetness, (although I tolerate it much more than my wife.)

i have a huge sweet tooth and adore Botrytis-affected wines so subtle sweetness is a plus for me. that being said i have had a few PNs recently that hit me as “too sweet” and i would not think R-M would be considered as such.

Ditto! [thumbs-up.gif]

…but not in my pinot.

Looking like the Sonoma Coast and Chard’s for sure. Still thinking about the rest… buy these, or more Burgundies. That’s the dilemma. (Got no room so I gotta be tight.)

FWIW - I would probably stay away from the Occidental but would recommend the others. This is one of only a handful of pinots I purchase which includes Rhys, Arcadian, Copain, Windy Oaks, Kutch and Ceritas.

Thanks Russ!

Lately, I too drink more burgs and bords than anything else, but I enjoy the RM pinot portfolio.

Pop open the SC when it arrives for a reference point. If you don’t like the style, I’m sure you can unload it without any issues. (I ordered mine, but will gladly buy more).

As far as the Chard, I guess I’m the outlier. I didn’t enjoy it (found the 07 cloying, heavy use of oak…), but I’m willing to give it another try (ordered both).

Cheers,

My advice would be to try and find a bottle of R-M with a few years on it. I have yet to be overly impressed by a young bottle, but have LOVED flirtysmile more than a few “older” ones.

So is the chard oaked, unoaked, malo or non malo? This is my first go around with the opportunity to order anything other than the Cab. I suppose the SC is a no brainer at the price point.

TIA,

David

70% new oak, that is confirmed. I’m not sure about malo…

Though I prefer less oak in chard I may go ahead and pickup the two bottles they’re offering just to experiment.

Thanks Todd…or should I refer to you as t french ala counselor Molen?

David

I believe I was referred to, precisely, as t French - correct use of upper and lower case is needed to hide from the censors there, and Neal figured out the solution

The best part of buying R-M, esp. the chard, there are plenty of takers should you end up not liking them.

Ed,

These are your bag baby. Go for it, including the Chardonnay.

Ed,

I suspect that R-M is in your wheel house for CA PNs. If you want to kick the wheels first, let me know. I have some '05s, '06s and '07s in the cellar.

Cool that you’ve found Arterberry Maresh. Nice wines there. I’ve only had one Rivers Marie pinot, an '06 though I forget the vineyard. Sort of big and ripe. Have you tried Windy Oaks? Since you’re into Oregom, check out Kelley Fox Wines. Her '07 Maresh is super delicate and long, an easy wine to miss if you don’t give it time, very memorable if you do.

same here. I kick myself for opening them within a year of release, but still do it anywY for the sake of “science”

FWIW…I have bought my entire allocation of R-M for the past 3 or more years. After having enjoyed some last year and given that even with buying the entire allocation it is not an endless supply, I posted on here and asked if anyone could recommend other wines (both pinot and char) that were of the same style. The answers I got included: Peay (which I now have also stocked up on), Arcadian, Rhys, and Dehlinger.

Hey all, thanks for the replies!
Phil - got it!
Jeff, thanks for the offer - not sure I can find time to make a trade 'cept maybe on the 5th?
Cheers!
-Ed