Horsepower and No Girls

Hey gang,

Just got notified that after a long wait (4.5 years) I will get an allocation in January for both Horsepower and No Girls wines. Will be buying but also wanted the community’s opinion on them.

Thanks!

JF

I am only familiar with No Girls and I love them. Don’t hesitate to purchase and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

I was on each mailing list when they started. I enjoyed some of the wines along the way, but found there were other wines I enjoyed more that cost less. So I dropped those lists & Cayuse after 2-3 years.

I was on No Girls but found they were not my thing. I have not had Horsepower but just made the list. I feel it is probably going to be similar so I will probably be skipping it. I also stopped buying Reynvaan due to both price increases and the flavor profile.

If you like really funky wines, you will probably like them.

I was on the original HP list. Bought two vintages, drank a few bottles and sold the rest. Not my thing and I typically like funk/band aid, but want something more - acid, s touch of fruit.

I’ve enjoyed the few No Girls I’ve tried even though are clearly in the Christophe house style.

Been on both lists since day 1. Will stay on both this year. My two cents on both. No Girls is more feminine and approachable early. Have only cracked the first vintage of HP and it was massive 7 years after vintage even with 2 hours of air. Great promise in what I tasted. Just my perspective.

1 Like

There have been several threads on Hp if you want to search. I agree with Scott’s comment above - I didn’t find any fruit either - and I also enjoy some funk. I quit buying, but am holding a couple of bottles to see what happens at about 15 years of age. Cheers!

Was on both Lists when they started, ordered and tried both on a few occasions.

The no girls was moderately pleasurable (I recall preferring the Grenache to the Syrah) while the Horsepower was way way way too funky and tasted and smelt like manure.

I would pass and buy elsewhere.

Cheers!

1 Like

This.

They are all in the Cayuse wheelhouse. Not significantly better or worse. Lots of funk. I think they need a lot of time to show well. I am drinking 2007 Cailloux and it was very good. Balanced with the funk under control. Had the 12 and it wasn’t ready even after along decant. So I doubt any HP vintage is ready.

Thanks for the info!

It is very helpful!

JF

Opened a 2013 Horsepower Sur Echalas Syrah last night. Two hour decant. It is incredibly funky. Read stinks. No fruit, olive brine, raw meat, bitterness. I don’t know how this gets so much love but I understand different palates. To each his own. My wife wouldn’t drink it and demanded I open up something else. Maybe these will improve in a decade or two. I am no longer buying.

I ended up skipping on both. Both some Northern Rhone Syrah instead.

My son cellar dove and came upstairs with a 2014 No Girls Syrah (La Paciencia Vineyard) last night and it was quite delicious.

Ample fruit, but treaded lightly on the palate and great structure. Still a baby, with ‘fine’ tannin…very well balanced fruit/tannin sensation.

My wife mentioned the blackberry notes. I cheat and just think of ‘dark fruit.’

My son picked up on mineral notes he described ‘like being on lava-rock hiking on a hot day.’ I could see sort of a ‘black stone’ thing, indeed.

Nice long finish.

The more I ponder remembering it for this post, the more it grows in my mind, it was really good!

It’s not that pricey on the retail market, I’d recommend an audition!

I like these wines, but i like funky wines. I do think there is good fruit too.

My only issue is pricetag on horsepower. But they are dofferentiated and exciting wines that I am glad to own.