100% tariffs - effect on other regions’ prices ?.

If the tariffs come into effect and persist will that lead to price increases in any other regions and if so which? There could be a lot of dollars looking for a new home.

I have the perfect answer: “who knows.”

I’m just hoping the tariffs somehow will increase the amount available in Canada with respect to the wines I love but are oh so hard to get here. haha.

I could see a whole new group of destination restaurants opening up just across the border.

Good point. How about clandestine wine imports from there?

Maybe Trump needs to build another wall? [rofl.gif]

Clandestine? Planning on breaking the law?

newhere I thought Canada had a proud tradition of supplying booze to Americans in time of need

Indeed. And fortunes were made doing so.

That’s why we love the Canadians. Whenever we really screw up, they’re ready to backstop us.

Who knows. Tariffs on Europe may be an opening for BC wines in the US.

I could see a whole new group of destination restaurants opening up just across the border.

Ron - there were. Back in the day it was the only way to get decent Chinese food if you lived in Detroit. You drove over to Windsor. We used to go a few times a week. These days the trip is a little longer - used to be about as difficult as crossing the Brooklyn Bridge but now the customs stop on both sides is real. That back-up might be an issue clouding your otherwise fine scenario.

Windsor was where my family went, when the INS kicked us out of the country, in the winter of 1966. Sleeping on hard wooden benches in Michigan National Station, en route, was a joy. Even back then, Windsor was an iffy town.

I suspect domestic producers will limit price increases in hopes of capturing more market share, but the best response was David B’s: who knows?

OK you can all just stop talking right now…

How about if we just whisper?

+1

Okanagan reds can be excellent also sparkling, whites I mostly good but I do not find compelling. (Probably incomplete research). Ontario Chardonnay world class, some Pinot Noir and Cab Franc excellent.

I was in the Okanagan this past September, and had great white wines at Tantalus.

Tantalus is one we didn’t get to. So little time do many wineries! But I did come across a bottle of Tantalus Chard at the KGBO a few weeks ago and it was very good. Of the fifteen odd wineries we did get to, the reds were def better at least for me. Blue Mountain probably had the best whites of the places we visited but also excellent bubbles. The best reds were Painted Rock and Black Hills also Cedar Creek (we didn’t get to Martins Lane, that’s for next time). Mission Hill we had some good wines at a very patchy dinner jury is out on that one.

We stayed mostly north on our trip. You look to have been in red wine country.

We spent four days in Naramata and five in Kelowna but had a couple of day trips in the South

We never even made it to Naramata, as I got a cold which eventually made it impossible to taste. Only enjoyed 2 of a planned 4 days.

Oh that’s too bad. We had a terrific B&B in Naramata. All in all a great trip. A couple of very good meals and a bunch of wineries mostly good, some “interesting” shall we say. An interesting contrast to Niagara in terms of the money that had been invested in the wineries, tasting rooms etc.