100% tariffs - effect on other regions’ prices ?.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

100% tariffs - effect on other regions’ prices ?.

#1 Post by RichardFlack » December 29th, 2019, 7:49 am

If the tariffs come into effect and persist will that lead to price increases in any other regions and if so which? There could be a lot of dollars looking for a new home.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 100% tariffs - effect on other regions’ prices ?.

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 29th, 2019, 7:51 am

I have the perfect answer: “who knows.”
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

matthew c

#3 Post by matthew c » December 29th, 2019, 9:18 am

I'm just hoping the tariffs somehow will increase the amount available in Canada with respect to the wines I love but are oh so hard to get here. haha.
C l o u t i e r

Ron Erickson

#4 Post by Ron Erickson » December 29th, 2019, 9:45 am

I could see a whole new group of destination restaurants opening up just across the border.

James Billy

#5 Post by James Billy » December 29th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Ron Erickson wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 9:45 am
I could see a whole new group of destination restaurants opening up just across the border.
Good point. How about clandestine wine imports from there?

Maybe Trump needs to build another wall? [rofl.gif]

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 29th, 2019, 4:19 pm

James Billy wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 3:51 pm
Ron Erickson wrote:

Clandestine? Planning on breaking the law?

Marcus Dean

#7 Post by Marcus Dean » December 29th, 2019, 4:33 pm

newhere I thought Canada had a proud tradition of supplying booze to Americans in time of need

GregT

#8 Post by GregT » December 29th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Indeed. And fortunes were made doing so.

That's why we love the Canadians. Whenever we really screw up, they're ready to backstop us.

Who knows. Tariffs on Europe may be an opening for BC wines in the US.
Ron - there were. Back in the day it was the only way to get decent Chinese food if you lived in Detroit. You drove over to Windsor. We used to go a few times a week. These days the trip is a little longer - used to be about as difficult as crossing the Brooklyn Bridge but now the customs stop on both sides is real. That back-up might be an issue clouding your otherwise fine scenario.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Victor Hong

#9 Post by Victor Hong » December 29th, 2019, 6:11 pm

GregT wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 6:05 pm

That's why we love the Canadians. Whenever we really screw up, they're ready to backstop us.

Ron - there were. Back in the day it was the only way to get decent Chinese food if you lived in Detroit. You drove over to Windsor. We used to go a few times a week. These days the trip is a little longer - used to be about as difficult as crossing the Brooklyn Bridge but now the customs stop on both sides is real. That back-up might be an issue clouding your otherwise fine scenario.
Windsor was where my family went, when the INS kicked us out of the country, in the winter of 1966. Sleeping on hard wooden benches in Michigan National Station, en route, was a joy. Even back then, Windsor was an iffy town.
WineHunter.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by David Glasser » December 29th, 2019, 10:05 pm

I suspect domestic producers will limit price increases in hopes of capturing more market share, but the best response was David B's: who knows?

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Dennis Borczon » December 30th, 2019, 4:56 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 4:19 pm
James Billy wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 3:51 pm
Ron Erickson wrote:

Clandestine? Planning on breaking the law?
OK you can all just stop talking right now....

James Billy

#12 Post by James Billy » December 30th, 2019, 4:58 am

How about if we just whisper?

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by RichardFlack » December 30th, 2019, 6:47 am

matthew c wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 9:18 am
I'm just hoping the tariffs somehow will increase the amount available in Canada with respect to the wines I love but are oh so hard to get here. haha.
+1

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by RichardFlack » December 30th, 2019, 6:52 am

GregT wrote:

Okanagan reds can be excellent also sparkling, whites I mostly good but I do not find compelling. (Probably incomplete research). Ontario Chardonnay world class, some Pinot Noir and Cab Franc excellent.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 30th, 2019, 6:56 am

I was in the Okanagan this past September, and had great white wines at Tantalus.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by RichardFlack » December 30th, 2019, 7:39 am

Tantalus is one we didn’t get to. So little time do many wineries! But I did come across a bottle of Tantalus Chard at the KGBO a few weeks ago and it was very good. Of the fifteen odd wineries we did get to, the reds were def better at least for me. Blue Mountain probably had the best whites of the places we visited but also excellent bubbles. The best reds were Painted Rock and Black Hills also Cedar Creek (we didn’t get to Martins Lane, that’s for next time). Mission Hill we had some good wines at a very patchy dinner jury is out on that one.
Last edited by RichardFlack on December 30th, 2019, 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 30th, 2019, 7:42 am

We stayed mostly north on our trip. You look to have been in red wine country.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by RichardFlack » December 30th, 2019, 7:44 am

We spent four days in Naramata and five in Kelowna but had a couple of day trips in the South

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 30th, 2019, 7:46 am

We never even made it to Naramata, as I got a cold which eventually made it impossible to taste. Only enjoyed 2 of a planned 4 days.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by RichardFlack » December 30th, 2019, 8:39 am

Oh that’s too bad. We had a terrific B&B in Naramata. All in all a great trip. A couple of very good meals and a bunch of wineries mostly good, some “interesting” shall we say. An interesting contrast to Niagara in terms of the money that had been invested in the wineries, tasting rooms etc.

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Chuck Miller » December 30th, 2019, 12:23 pm

James Billy wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 4:58 am
How about if we just whisper?
Maybe just speak easy.
Chuck Miller

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by David Glasser » December 30th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 6:11 pm
GregT wrote:

Windsor was where my family went, when the INS kicked us out of the country, in the winter of 1966. Sleeping on hard wooden benches in Michigan National Station, en route, was a joy. Even back then, Windsor was an iffy town.
Windsor was a lot less iffy than Detroit when I was in my teens (1970s). When we went, it wasn’t for Chinese food.

Jeremy Holmes

#24 Post by Jeremy Holmes » December 30th, 2019, 8:01 pm

My initial thoughts are that Champagne prices here in Australia should fall. Given that we are a reasonable market for Champagne considering our population size, I suspect that some focus will be put on our market and others, to take up the slack that will be sales lost in The States. I'm not so sure now. We were notified of a pending price increase from LVMH, kicking in on the 1st of February, right across their range (from 3-7%). Perhaps other markets will cop discretionary price rises so that the Champagne houses can offset some of the tariff caused increases in The States?
ITB

LMD Ermitaño

#25 Post by LMD Ermitaño » December 30th, 2019, 8:08 pm

I don’t know yet about prices; but I do know that Philippine allocations for rarified champagnes are going to increase (a close friend whose company locally distributes Salon, Selosse, as well as de Vogüé, etc. told me so). I doubt their prices will go down as regards those labels though, as those labels are smaller production, and there are more than enough people here willing to pay for those wines. I’m pretty sure I get my own tiny share of those bottles only because the owners of that distribution company are my friends.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by John Morris » December 31st, 2019, 12:13 am

RichardFlack wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 8:39 am
Oh that’s too bad. We had a terrific B&B in Naramata. All in all a great trip. A couple of very good meals and a bunch of wineries mostly good, some “interesting” shall we say. An interesting contrast to Niagara in terms of the money that had been invested in the wineries, tasting rooms etc.
I'm in Vancouver this week and had a 2017 Le Vieux Pin - Cuvee Violets syrah from the South Okanagan. I'd enjoyed one five years ago and bought one to take back to NY and stash away. The current release is even better -- approximating a Cote Rotie in flavor profile and structure. I'll take a couple back with me (along with the Donnhoff Grauburgunder I found, which can't be had in the US).
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by John Morris » December 31st, 2019, 12:15 am

RichardFlack wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 7:49 am
If the tariffs come into effect and persist will that lead to price increases in any other regions and if so which? There could be a lot of dollars looking for a new home.
I don't know about the impact on prices, but I'd guess that Argentina would be one of the biggest beneficiary. If you've buying lesser Bordeauxs, Argentinian malbec may be the easy substitute in a similar price range.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Markus S

#28 Post by Markus S » December 31st, 2019, 8:44 am

Jeremy Holmes wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 8:01 pm
... We were notified of a pending price increase from LVMH, kicking in on the 1st of February, right across their range (from 3-7%). Perhaps other markets will cop discretionary price rises so that the Champagne houses can offset some of the tariff caused increases in The States?
Interesting "share-the-wealth pain" philosophy!
$ _ € ® e . k @

James Billy

#29 Post by James Billy » December 31st, 2019, 7:38 pm

Markus S wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 8:44 am
Jeremy Holmes wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 8:01 pm
... We were notified of a pending price increase from LVMH, kicking in on the 1st of February, right across their range (from 3-7%). Perhaps other markets will cop discretionary price rises so that the Champagne houses can offset some of the tariff caused increases in The States?
Interesting "share-the-wealth pain" philosophy!
Strange logic. If you are going to have more stuff for sale in future and you want to shift it, surely you'd cut the price not increase it.

Maybe this was a decision made before the tariff news.

matthew c

#30 Post by matthew c » January 7th, 2020, 9:17 am

John Morris wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 12:13 am
RichardFlack wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 8:39 am
I'm in Vancouver this week and had a 2017 Le Vieux Pin - Cuvee Violets syrah from the South Okanagan. I'd enjoyed one five years ago and bought one to take back to NY and stash away. The current release is even better -- approximating a Cote Rotie in flavor profile and structure. I'll take a couple back with me (along with the Donnhoff Grauburgunder I found, which can't be had in the US).
Niagara wins on the Chardonnay front. But the Okanagan has some interesting Syrah and I think it will be the best red grape for the region. Sparklers and Riesling are what I think are most successful from the white perspective.
C l o u t i e r

Return to “Wine Talk”