Birthday dinner with 04` Cristal and 97` Williams Selyem Rochioli Riverblock Pinot

My sweetie and I returned to our favorite local restaurant in Santa Barbara, The Stonehouse, located on the elite resort property of the San Ysidro Ranch. This place has been so special for us for more than a couple of decades and continues to be our go to place for special occasions such as it`s Friday; however, this time we did indeed have a special occasion, besides being Friday, I had a recent birthday.

Originally, we had planned to come here on the day, but a good friend invited us to his spectacular annual gala Christmas party and it was an easy decision to make with so many good friends attending and lots of great food and wine.

As usual, when we go to a celebrative dinner, we take a nice champagne and a Burt Williams made Pinot which on this night was 04 Cristal and 97 Rochioli Riverblock. Both were truly outstanding.

The Stonehouse was beautifully decorated for the holiday season and the glitter of all of the sparkling lights and ornaments were captured in some of the photos we took so the pic with the champagne and stemware seemed to show what Dom Perignon had stated "Come quickly, I am tasting the stars!”.

2004 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay; the last few bottles of this vintage had been really good and with a few still in the cellar, I decided it was time to check in again and that was a good move as this was super splendid; it had inviting aromas of spice, brioche and ginger combined with bright citrus fruit; on the palate came more of the same with more distinct lemon, lime, orange peel and mango notes along with a streak of minerals; it was full bodied, had a creamy mousse that gave it a light honey like texture and its hallmark may have been its seamlessness from the nose through the finish. Tsar Alexander II would have been proud.

C24D674F-810F-4074-9076-09466581D189_1_201_a.jpeg
1997 WILLIAMS SELYEM RIVERBLOCK VINEYARD RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR- although not stated on the label, this comes from the esteemed Rochioli Vineyard; note the fill in the photo; Burt always filled every bottle to the cork so this was most nearly pristine at age 22 as the unadulterated red purple color also supported ; I’ve had many a bottle of this and was surprised and delighted to discover there now is a huge dose of blueberry that has joined the red raspberry, red and black cherry fruit; in fact, this was the perfect expression of blueberry at its best; as with the Cristal, this was seamless, full bodied and long at the back end; accents of spice, cinnamon and a hint of clove added to the overall stellar experience; we kept marveling about how good this was throughout the entire evening while toasting Burt on his new journey in the heavens. I had the feeling he may have been present and performed a miraculous shift in the fruit profile blending in the blueberries. Thanks Burt. We love you.

18FD1A7F-4D03-408D-A397-5F1ECA3981A0_1_201_a.jpeg
BF02C65C-1527-4A05-859E-FF601432C6BB_1_201_a.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake

8D5F66E9-4B1D-4C9F-9200-1DA78CEE3A9A_1_201_a.jpeg
38CE9B30-398A-401D-860A-D07B6EA5978C_1_201_a.jpeg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BB!!!

Looks like a perfect celebration. Happy Birthday, Blake!
I’ve never had the '04 Cristal. I’ll keep an eye out for that one.

Cheers,
Warren

Thanks CJ. Warren.

Sounds like a lovely evening. Happy birthday Blake.

Happy Happy Birthday, Blake.

Happy Birthday! Great pair of wines for the occasion!

Happy birthday Blake! You guys rocking those leather jackets!

Happy birthday!

What a beautiful tasting note and the pics are positively vibrant!

Happy Birthday Blake. Many more. Great report as usual.

Nice notes; I think you’ve enjoyed the 04 more than I have of late. Any notes on 02 or 06 recently?

Happy Birthday to you Blake. GREAT notes.

Michael, I haven’t had the 02 for about a year, but had 2 06 recently and both were superb with bright acidity, loads of flavors and really nice balance. There’s still a lot more to gain from evolvement, but its so pleasing now; it’s not the end of the world to open one this early.

Thanks to all for kind remarks.

BTW, if I had remembered to do so, I was going to state that I thought Rochioli planted grapes in their Riverblock Vineyard, not blueberries.

After all, it was Friday.

Blake, I’d wish you happy birthday but your alma mater beat mine yesterday and that’s enough of a present for you!!
I did wear my Wms Selyem sweatshirt on a walk though…

Ugly game with the exception of the first few minutes of the 2nd half, for Kansas anyway. The JAYHAWK flew up into the TREE and dropped a load.

And I wore my WS cap on my morning walk.

I guess they had a bit of scare from their airplane.
They need Wms Selyem gear .

For sure, they had a scare. Here’s some details:

Loaded onto a Boeing 737-400 aircraft with first-class seating for roughly 80 passengers, the Jayhawks left San Jose International Airport on time following Sunday’s 72-56 win over Stanford. But about 20 minutes into the flight, one of the engines blew. They had already reached 31,000 feet.

A native of Oklahoma and graduate of Oklahoma State, Self admitted Monday that his mind briefly went to thoughts of the Oklahoma State plane crash from 2001 that killed 10 people. But, as Self noted, that was a much smaller plane and this was a much more controlled situation.

“It was a nervous time for a short amount of time, and we’re counting our blessings today,” Self said. “But it wasn’t like it was an emergency landing or anything like that. I don’t want to make this out to be more than what it was. It was obviously serious but not serious to the point where anybody was in panic mode or anything like that.”

Upon arriving back in Kansas 19 hours later than scheduled, Self said "We’re home, and it feels good. The fact that we committed 14 turnovers the first half (against Stanford) really didn’t matter much (Sunday) night.”