TNs: A mini-vertical of Marcus' Richard's Cuvee Chardonnay

I have wanted to do this for a while, and last night got motivated to dig the older bottles out of the cellar. One of the things that surprised me in doing these bottles side-by-side was just how different each vintage was from the other. I would have difficulty picking a favorite here, although I am convinced that the 2014 has the most potential to still be drinking well in 2030 (assuming I am still around, of course, to verify my assumption). The 2015 just seemed a step behind each of the other vintages, but this was a lot of fun to compare the vintages on a mild Saturday afternoon in the Delaware Valley ;^)

Expansive on the palate, good acidity, great persistence on a finish I am still tasting as I type this. I believe this is the first bottle I’ve tried where I wouldn’t add the caveat that this “is still young”, so maybe a sign that we are entering the maturity plateau, but this also strikes me as a wine with plenty of time in front of it.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes. Interesting perspective. It will be interesting to see how the ‘18 fits in. Lot’s of raves about ‘17 in Oregon. However, at least one winemaker has stated that they thought ‘18 was better than ‘17 for Chardonnay.

Just went through a flight of day 2 glasses with my youngest daughter - FWIW, from her perspective she liked the '17 & '16 best.

One thing that an additional 24 hours has done is really firm up the '17 - crisp and delicious would be my shorthand to describe it.

And the '15 has improved as well - in fact, I don’t think the difference in quality between the '15 and '16 today is nearly as big as my notes may have indicated yesterday.

The reductive notes are still there on the '14, so depending on how you feel about that, could be a divisive wine.

At this point, I would say that the '17 and '14 are my favorites, with the '15 winning “most improved” from day 1 to day 2.

Next time, I will have to try this with Marcus’ Chards from the Durant Vineyard :sunglasses:

We had the 15 here locally at a restaurant and think it was an off bottle.

[whistle.gif]

Thanks for the notes Bob. Call me next time. [wink.gif]

RT

Great notes. Year in, year out one of my top 3 Oregon Chardonnays. I need to replicate your tasting and add in a ‘13. Rich, you’re welcome to join us in the PNW. [cheers.gif]

Good to see them tasted side by side! And over two days as well. I haven’t managed to do that myself. All VERY different vintages, and it’s been really fun to see how the chardonnay from the vineyard offers up such consistent quality with such diverse expressions.

I think I tend to share your youngest daughters opinion, but I’m hoping to taste these all at the 10 year mark. You are spot on with the lighter body in the 2017, it’s at 12.8%abv and, while it’s textural, I adore the effortlessness the palate.

The 2018 is in the same vein, albeit with a different personality. I would say as good as 2017, but to me they are as good a back to back vintages as I have seen, and to express a preference for one would be a disservice to the other.

I am so glad you enjoyed all of them, it’ssuch a special vineyard, and definitely look forward to seeing posts on a Durant vertical!

Happy Holidays to all, and best wishes fpr great wines in the New Year!

Thanks Scott, I’m wrangling to head out there for the IPNC Passport and Post IPNC Tasting.

RT