Couple of domestic ‘05s over lunch

Enjoyable lunch today with my UO frosh roommate whom I have not seen in three decades! Started with 2005 Aubert Ritchie chardonnay coupled with fresh Dunganess crab cakes over arugula greens. The Aubert tasted surprisingly youthful given its age of 15 years; gold in color, with a forward, tropical/floral bouquet that was very appealing. Rich and intense on the palate with spicy apple and citrus flavors that were bright and Chablis-like with their mineral/steely/ oyster shell overlays. Really long finish- drinking perfectly and no need to rush these. Amazed at how well these Aubert chards age.

With bacon-wrapped filet mignon cooked rare on the Green Egg accompanied by butternut squash casserole, 2005 Betz Le Parrain which was a great pairing. According to the label, 50% CS, 33% merlot, 17 % Cab franc from Columbia Valley. Very forward nose that overtly wafted over the table with aromas of ripe, dark berries and currants. Upon tasting, it was plush, spicy and complex, with even darker berry flavors and a long, lingering finish that retained quite a bit of tannic spine, leading me to believe that there is still a long life ahead for this beauty. Glad that I decanted a couple of hours ahead of lunch, and that I have one bottle left to try down the road!

Nice !