TN: 2008 Rasa Vineyards Principia Reserve Syrah, Walla Walla, WA

Bought off WineBid, bottle in all around great condition. Splash decanted for 90 minutes and then back in the bottle.

This one was surprisingly interesting to see evolve in the glass. First taste, pretty primary. Light, sweet black fruit with medium acidity and some minerality on the finish. Tannins seem pretty resolved, nice texture. One hour later, the fruit has receded quite a bit, now getting mostly earth, traces of smoke, something herbal? Maybe black pepper, fennel… Hour 2 (in the glass), completely evolved. Blind and I might have called 2000 left bank. Fruit is back but more of a subtle black cherry, spice, heat is more noticeable (14.2%), finally getting some wood with cedar on the nose but more earthy on the palate. Hour 3 (now from the bottle), seems to be finding a really nice harmony between fruit and savory notes. Really well integrated. Opens with light, sweet, redder fruit, predominantly raspberry? More savory and earthy on the mid-palate, with a spicy, peppery finish. Man, this keeps getting better. So much pleasure and never overdoes it in any aspect.

I love this producer… Full stop. This is the only Rasa I’ve had with some decent age on it. I think it could get better over the next 3, maybe 5, years… shouldn’t decline for at least 8-10.

I think I paid $30 for this? Amazing QPR, wish I had a half dozen more…

Nice note. Rasa, IMO, hit their peak in 2006-2009 ish in general- reasonable pricing, good wines not trying to do too much (or too many)

I continued to buy Principia (and Creative Impulse) through the 2013 vintage, but when the all-in price hit essentially $100/bottle, I came to the conclusion that what was in the bottle did not justify the price tag. Cheers!

I bought 2 bottles each of 09 Creative Impulse and 09 In Order to Form a More Perfect Union on a whim in 2011, but they’ve been sitting in storage ever since. At the time I noted they were shut down pretty hard, but sounds like it may be time to give them a shot. Thanks for the note.

Interesting to see the other comments. I still have Principia from 09-11 vintages. I stopped buying with the 11 vintage as the QPR got out of whack, but some bottlings (07 QED) were memorable to me. My palate has also evolved a bit and the bottles I have opened recently, including some of the special CT forum bottlings, have felt relatively heavy and imprecise. CT says I have 3 of the 2010 Principia, so perhaps I should open one and check in.