Whats your top 5 Clos saint denis?

How would you rank your top 5 CSD in order, best to least?

Good Q for sure. 1) Dujac, 2) Ponsot, 3) Arlaud, 4) Jadot, and 5) B.Leroux. The late 80s/early 90s Dujac versions really got me hooked… The Ponsot VV is really nice - the '99 is especially built to please with more age. Arlaud is a new’ish one for me but the recent vintage bottles I’ve had are great! Jadot is always dependable - one of the GCs that is treated differently in the winery (more stem inclusion?). Benjamin Leroux is very new for me - some really nice results for me at least which has prompted me to buy for the long haul.

Limited experience…Dujac tops.

One of my favorites that has not been mentioned is Jouan.

+1

Ponsot (when it´s good, it not always is …)
Dujac
Arlaud
Amiot (pre-2010) - Amiot-Servelle 2010+ not tasted
Heresztyn(-Mazzini)
(LeMoine - only tasted once, but outstanding)
Jadot
G.Lignier
Castagnier (older bottles from 80ies/90ies)
Charlopin
Coquard-Loison-Fleurot (good)

I have tasted only dujac => amazing as usual

But Jadot, G.Lignier, Castagnier
not very bad but not very good

1 Like

If aged sufficiently, Ponsot/ Dom Chezeaux TVV. The 1990 is just hitting its stride. The 99 needs another the decade. The 85 is extraordinary

What do you guys think about J. Drouhin and Nicalos Potel’s CSD?

I recently picked up some Charlopin, will give it a shot. Some la justice from them too.

The Drouhin CSD comes from Jouan, he makes the wine and raises it in barrel for them, then they bottle it.

1 Like

How do the holdings compare to the Jouan ones?

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the clarification.

How do you mean?

I bought 2005 CSD from Drouhin because it was easier to find than Jouan. Someday, it might actually be ready to drink. A friend has the 2005 Jouan. At some point, we hope to taste them side-by-side.

Doing a side by side with both Producers would be interesting. A verticle with both.

They’re from different plots, right?

No, one plot, owned by Jouan. Some of the wine is then sold to Drouhin.

Is anyone able to/willing to take a crack at describing the different producer styles of CsD in a few sentences?

I love CSD from Lucien Le Moine.