TN: 2004 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Ovello

I have more '04 Produttori than other vintages and have been dipping my toes in to see what is up. No sooner than I splashed this into the decanter that I checked this fine Berserkers board to see Bueker’s comment from November 2018 saying leave this alone for 5 years. Here’s the thing: he is correct. Oh, well, life is short: drinking Barbaresco that isn’t quite ready yet should be my my biggest problem. [cheers.gif]

• 2004 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Ovello - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (12/26/2019)
    Listen, people, don’t open this wine right now. it needs time. There are glimpses of beauty and earthy red fruit and floral elements. There is an interesting, dark anise, licorice element and the wine feels serious and well made, in a classic sense. It’s just very tight and cloaked up right now. Wait. And then wait some more.

Posted from CellarTracker

Good info, thanks. I recently did an 01 Produttori single vineyard horizontal and most were in a good spot as an FYI.

Thanks, Adam. There was some pleasure here, just not quite there yet. I have some '01, perhaps will check in soon [cheers.gif]

So which vintages are drinking well now?

To my taste ‘05 and ‘09 are doing well. I doubt 2009 will ever make old bones.

1995 - 2000

I’ve had quite a few 2004 PdBs as well, and been loving them. Youthful but generally pretty open and really attractive now. No regrets.

The 2007s are approachable

I think it might just be a preference thing, as I’ve had this Ovello and an '04 Moccagatta in October and neither were open and attractive to me. No to say they were unattractive, just not ready yet for me. And I have regrets. [cheers.gif]