TN: 2000 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape

2000 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/23/2019)

Opened by a friend about 3 hours before drinking but not decanted. Smoother and more integrated than the 2000 Boisrenard that we drank alongside. Really in a good place now but no rush to drink. Ruby color. Notes of red currant, forest floor and charcoal. 5th time I have had this wine going back to 2007 and it seems to get better every time. 94 points.

VM

Thanks for the note Jeff. I have one remaining in my cellar.

From the days of Paul Avril, when it was still an iron fist in a velvet glove instead of the current version,which I find to be an iron fist in an iron gauntlet holding an iron club with which to beat you into submission.

Had this in 14 and looks like I opened to early.

my note
Certainly not a great vintage of Clos des Papes and pale in comparison to the amazing 01. Earth, underbrush, roasted meats, spice and floral notes. Medium finish but not as balanced as I would expect from a 2000. Too many others that are better from the vintage. 90 points

Hah, I actually have some of this. Need to dig around in the cellar to find some. Thanks for the encouraging note, Jeff.

Cheers,
Doug