TN: Just another 2000 Magdelaine tasting note.

2000 Ch. Magdelaine, St. Emilion

Poured and left in the decanter an hour before dinner and helped get rid of gristly sediments.

Fresh dark ruby red. Tannin. Top notch red fruit acidity, layers of ripe berries, some eucalyptus and that yummy hints of meat broth. Still needing that fatty steak, but boy this was good and balanced. Fond memories of the ‘82 and ‘90. A-

2483319B-4EBE-4DA3-9B05-77882993BF9D.jpeg

Nice note, Ramon. I’m also quite high on this vintage of Maggy. And I’ve got enough of it laid down that I don’t even need to say “shhhh”!

Patrick,

The dreaded bottle variation reports surfaced here and there and so, I had to check for myself. Very satisfied with the outcome and I’ll live with having 1 less from the original 6-pack purchase.

Glad your bottle showed well.

I tried a bottle of this nearly 2 years ago, posting no notes, dropping no hints, determined to get a case before the prices got nutty. I scored 14 bottles for $80 early on, and up to $100 all-in later on. Not cheap by any standard, but I can’t really think of any other wine I’d rather own for that money.

A steal at those prices!

Purchased mine at the low end of that range.

Mine are clearly better as I paid more than that recently, from UK, pre-tariff.

We should have a taste-off!

Thanks for the note, Ramon!

[cheers.gif]

Yeah, with Brexit, local tariffs and whatever else, it’s probably a good time to do a UK vs US taste-off.

Ramon, thanks for the note.

This year was sort of a tour of Magdelaine through the decades, and I am not inclined to touch my measly 2 bottle stash of 2000 unless desperation sets in. It might.

For the record $75 each, ~$90 net delivered, from auction in 2014.

Jayson,

With less-and-less Magdelaine local sightings on retail these days, holding tight with few remaining bottles is good idea for me, But, man, you have some cool access after imbibing on that magnum of ‘59.

Sounds like you’re angling for an excuse to leave the wife with the pool boy and come up to NYC for “business”.

From the same batch as the original TN on this thread.

Drank with Sunday stay@home dinner of tasty thick reverse-seared ribeye.

A rare, these days, Saint-Emilion of old-school persuasion. Still youthful, but deliciously drinkable. A-

6382B27C-1295-4C2E-840F-378BF726A34F.jpeg