Davenport Cellars is Closing 65% off all Wines

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Davenport Cellars is Closing 65% off all Wines

#101 Post by John Glas »

My last 4 notes on Mr. B. No I am not on the pay role but the amount of wine I have moved for them I should get some free wines.

2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/19/2020)
Davenport Cellars Wines; 12/30/2019-4/19/2020 (Minneapolis, MN): Day 1: This is a slam dunk (Michael Jordan Last Ride Tonight) as one of the year in terms of value. Juicy fruits featuring blueberries, cherries and plum. Menthol, minerals and spice. This tastes like a $80 Napa Bordeaux Blend.
44% Merlot, 26% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Malbec and 12% Cabernet Franc. 93 points (93 points)
2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/16/2020)
Davenport Cellars Wines; 12/30/2019-4/19/2020 (Minneapolis, MN): Day 1: Just got it today and rocks. Yes you can get a shipment of wine and drink right away. Nice fruit featuring blueberries, cherry, plum along with menthol and mild earth. Tasty is a great descriptor. Probably will be my top under $20 wine of the year. 92 points
Day 2: Solid again. Fruit forward style featuring cherry, plum, blueberries. Menthol, spice and underbrush. Medium plus finish. One of the great QPR's out there. 92 points
44% Merlot, 26% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Malbec and 12% Cabernet Franc.
Fruit sources include Sheridan Vineyard in Rattlesnake Hills, Les Collines in Walla Walla and Kiona on Red Mountain.
Recommendation: Case purchase. (92 points)
2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/10/2020)
Davenport Cellars Wines; 12/30/2019-4/19/2020 (Minneapolis, MN): Day 1: Just ordered another case of this yesterday. Best wine under $15 right now. Cherry, blueberries, stone, menthol and mild spices. Rock star wine! 92 points
Day 2: Similar to day 1 and holds up great. This is a no brainer on a case purchase.
Check out my video of this wine: https://twincitieswinetasting.com/a-case-purchase/ (92 points)
2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/8/2020)
Davenport Cellars Wines; 12/30/2019-4/19/2020 (Minneapolis, MN): Day 1: This is amazing stuff. Earth, black licorice, floral, dark fruits and minerals. This is a well made wine with some intensity. Serve this with a steak or burger and you are set. 92 points
Day 2: Still rocking. Gravel, earth, minerals, floral and fruits are more light in character. Wonderful effort. Maybe a half a point less in quality on day 2. 91.5 points
Recommendation: Drink and enjoy! (92 points)
Posted from CellarTracker

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by John Glas »

To get the 50% off you need to get a case and:

Go to their website: http://davenportcellars.com/
Go to Wine Clubs: http://davenportcellars.orderport.net/wine-club
Sign up for the Discovery Wine Club. Once you order a mixed case you will get $35.00 shipping! Great deal.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Eric White »

I've enjoyed the wines I purchases quite a bit, but has anyone else experienced a fairly high ratio of corked wines? Of the 2+ cases we've gone through, I've had 3 or 4 corked already, which strikes me as a pretty darn high percentage. Kinda takes the steam out of the deal a bit, when you end up pouring it down the drain.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by John Glas »

I've enjoyed the wines I purchases quite a bit, but has anyone else experienced a fairly high ratio of corked wines? Of the 2+ cases we've gone through, I've had 3 or 4 corked already, which strikes me as a pretty darn high percentage. Kinda takes the steam out of the deal a bit, when you end up pouring it down the drain.
Have not had one and have gone through 2 cases since December. Email Jeff and see if he can replace them.

Brian Glas

#105 Post by Brian Glas »

I haven't had any corked wines from Davenport.

KC Cormack

#106 Post by KC Cormack »

OK, today I received my case I ordered and immediately popped a 2008 Continuity. All I can say is wow! A little bit of sludge under the cork, easily wiped off with a paper towel. I'm not too good on the tasting notes but it was really complex, with a lot of ripe fruit and dark cherry notes. It was definitely one of the best $15 wines I've ever had, if not the best. My wife and I drank the bottle with an elaborate tapas meal she made and we couldn't have been happier. I can't wait to open another one!

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by John Glas »

OK, today I received my case I ordered and immediately popped a 2008 Continuity. All I can say is wow! A little bit of sludge under the cork, easily wiped off with a paper towel. I'm not too good on the tasting notes but it was really complex, with a lot of ripe fruit and dark cherry notes. It was definitely one of the best $15 wines I've ever had, if not the best. My wife and I drank the bottle with an elaborate tapas meal she made and we couldn't have been happier. I can't wait to open another one!
KC glad you enjoyed it. I think it is one of the best Bordeaux style blends you will find from Washington for the money.

A few people were put off by the sludge but the wine was unfiltered. The 2008 is now sold out as of the website!

Andrew Demaree
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#108 Post by Andrew Demaree »

That's a ridiculously good wine for $15. Not surprised it has sold out.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by John Glas »

That's a ridiculously good wine for $15. Not surprised it has sold out.
Just got my final case shipment of the spring. 2014 Mr. B which is not as complex as the Continuity but equally delicious. My wife who is not a fan of red wine loves it so a case should last a month or so. Hopefully in the fall they have some left.

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by tpetty »

I ordered another case of mixed reds last week, split between 2014 Continuity (the 2008 & 2012 that I ordered at Christmas were great!), Mr B, and Patch
T o d d P

Evan Tunis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Evan Tunis »

John Glas wrote: April 19th, 2020, 5:35 pm My last 4 notes on Mr. B. No I am not on the pay role but the amount of wine I have moved for them I should get some free wines.

2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/19/2020)
Davenport Cellars Wines; 12/30/2019-4/19/2020 (Minneapolis, MN): Day 1: This is a slam dunk (Michael Jordan Last Ride Tonight) as one of the year in terms of value. Juicy fruits featuring blueberries, cherries and plum. Menthol, minerals and spice. This tastes like a $80 Napa Bordeaux Blend.
44% Merlot, 26% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Malbec and 12% Cabernet Franc. 93 points (93 points)
2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/16/2020)
Davenport Cellars Wines; 12/30/2019-4/19/2020 (Minneapolis, MN): Day 1: Just got it today and rocks. Yes you can get a shipment of wine and drink right away. Nice fruit featuring blueberries, cherry, plum along with menthol and mild earth. Tasty is a great descriptor. Probably will be my top under $20 wine of the year. 92 points
Day 2: Solid again. Fruit forward style featuring cherry, plum, blueberries. Menthol, spice and underbrush. Medium plus finish. One of the great QPR's out there. 92 points
44% Merlot, 26% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Malbec and 12% Cabernet Franc.
Fruit sources include Sheridan Vineyard in Rattlesnake Hills, Les Collines in Walla Walla and Kiona on Red Mountain.
Recommendation: Case purchase. (92 points)
2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/10/2020)
Davenport Cellars Wines; 12/30/2019-4/19/2020 (Minneapolis, MN): Day 1: Just ordered another case of this yesterday. Best wine under $15 right now. Cherry, blueberries, stone, menthol and mild spices. Rock star wine! 92 points
Day 2: Similar to day 1 and holds up great. This is a no brainer on a case purchase.
Check out my video of this wine: https://twincitieswinetasting.com/a-case-purchase/ (92 points)
2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/8/2020)
Davenport Cellars Wines; 12/30/2019-4/19/2020 (Minneapolis, MN): Day 1: This is amazing stuff. Earth, black licorice, floral, dark fruits and minerals. This is a well made wine with some intensity. Serve this with a steak or burger and you are set. 92 points
Day 2: Still rocking. Gravel, earth, minerals, floral and fruits are more light in character. Wonderful effort. Maybe a half a point less in quality on day 2. 91.5 points
Recommendation: Drink and enjoy! (92 points)
Posted from CellarTracker
Just popped a bottle of Mr. B just now.. Great little wine at an amazing price.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by John Glas »

Just popped a bottle of Mr. B just now.. Great little wine at an amazing price.
I don't think you will find a better wine under $14 with shipping. For $35 flat rate shipping to Minneapolis from WA is awesome! [cheers.gif]

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#113 Post by Ron Slye »

I just bought a case of the 2008 RHD to hand out to my students as an end of year celebratory present (I would normally have them over to the house for wine and cheese, but of course cannot do that now).

Some of my students expressed an interest in white. I asked Sheila when I ordered the RHD (and a case of the Mr. B for me!) whether they had whites. Yes, they have some of their 2016 Semillon -- less than a case I think. So I bought six. With the discount they were 11 per bottle. Opened one two days ago. At first came across as a bit sweet and even funky. Two days later, this thing is singing. Tart lemon and slate, some white flower and beeswax-- other flavors I can't quite pinpoint. It has an amazing body, and just packaged so nicely. Maybe a slight bitterness in the finish, but ever so slight. I think I have 3 left (gave away 2, and this on I am now drinking). They are going into the cellar for extended aging. Now I do not have tons of experience with Semillon, but I would not be disappointed if I paid, 40, 50, maybe even 60 per bottle for this. (Edit -- oh and really great acidity that provides nice lift and structure)

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by John Glas »

Two days later, this thing is singing.
Never give up on a wine! I have a few of these and will cellar. Have you tried the 2014 Mr. B?

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#115 Post by Ron Slye »

No. Might open one tonight. I just bought all of their remaining semillon!

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#116 Post by Ron Slye »

Ok I am now drinking the 2014 Mr. B. On PnP I thought this was good -- a bit fruit forward for me at first, not quite as complex as I like. And of course with a few hours in the glass, the bright fruit is still there, but there is an overlay of tobacco leaf, mushrooms, and many other lovely savory flavors. So glad I have a case of this! For current consumption I would go for a few hours decant. Curious to see how this evolves later tonight, and then over the next day or two.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by John Glas »

Ok I am now drinking the 2014 Mr. B. On PnP I thought this was good -- a bit fruit forward for me at first, not quite as complex as I like. And of course with a few hours in the glass, the bright fruit is still there, but there is an overlay of tobacco leaf, mushrooms, and many other lovely savory flavors. So glad I have a case of this! For current consumption I would go for a few hours decant. Curious to see how this evolves later tonight, and then over the next day or two.
Right now drinking on day 3 and still rocking. This is one of the best wines ever created for under $15.00. I really don't know how they have any left. My wife who does not drink much red wine loves it!!! I love the price!!! [cheers.gif]

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Eric White »

Just a followup on my corked wine comment. Sheila at Davenport reached out to me (given the crazy discount on these wines, I was really just going to let it go). She wanted to replace them, but I didn't take note of exactly which wines were tainted - so she offered to send me three bottles to replace. Instead, I just had them round it up to a full case, paid for the 9 bottles (with a terrific discount), and let her pick which wines :) should be fun tasting through these. Anyhow, great customer service!

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by John Glas »

Just a followup on my corked wine comment. Sheila at Davenport reached out to me (given the crazy discount on these wines, I was really just going to let it go). She wanted to replace them, but I didn't take note of exactly which wines were tainted - so she offered to send me three bottles to replace. Instead, I just had them round it up to a full case, paid for the 9 bottles (with a terrific discount), and let her pick which wines :) should be fun tasting through these. Anyhow, great customer service!
Would expect nothing but the best from them. I am hoping they make wine in the future even if it was at a smaller scale then what they are doing. [cheers.gif]

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by John Glas »

They have a limited number of 2015 left but not enough for the website. Had to get 3 more of these so left some for anyone else who is interested.

2015 Davenport Cellars Continuity - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (10/1/2020)
Day 1: Didn't know I had a second bottle of this. Wonderful fruit forward wine with plum, blueberries and dark cherries. Adds some nice smoked meats, cigar and dried twigs. Medium to long finish. Very approachable and delicious on the pop and pour. 92 points (92 points)

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by John Glas »

2015 Davenport Cellars Patch - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (10/15/2020)
Day 2: Fruit forward featuring blueberries, cherry and ripe plum. Roasted meats and coffee beans. This is better than the last bottle and will benefit with some cellar time. 91 points
Day 3: Plenty of fruit still showing through. Coffee beans, roasted meats and menthol. Nice earthiness on the medium finish and a trace of wood. Solid wine. 91 points
Recommendation: This is a steal for the money. Great QPR. (91 points)

Not as good as Mr. B but solid for the money.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by John Glas »

Just order another case of Mr. B. Wife loves it and for $10 can't beat the price. The Pinot is also solid juice.

Anyone else get in on the mystery cases for $120?

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#123 Post by Ron Slye »

They apparently sold out quickly. But a cousin, who I pointed to the deal, was able to get another mystery case that they put together after the first set sold out.

MattYackel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by MattYackel »

I was lucky enough to get two of the mystery cases.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by John Glas »

I was lucky enough to get two of the mystery cases.
I got the 2nd offering which was fine but nothing great.

What did you get in the first offering?

MattYackel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by MattYackel »

2013- Continuity
Daven(Port)2
2011- Merlot Sheridan
2014- Mr. B
2015- Patch
2013- Petit Verdot
2016- Pinot Noir
2014,13, 08- RHD

MattYackel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by MattYackel »

John do you know anything about the Port?

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by John Glas »

John do you know anything about the Port?
Not much about it. From their site
This wine is 70% Souzao and 30% Touriga Nacional from Lonesome Spring Ranch in Yakima Valley.

Aged in all French oak. Cases produced: 96 (375ml Bottles

MattYackel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by MattYackel »

What was in the second offering mystery case?

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by John Glas »

Almost the same but had
2011 Davenport Cellars Meritage Rouge
2013 Davenport Cellars Meritage Rouge Sheridan Vineyard

Popped open the 13 Meritage and it was very good.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by John Glas »

2008 Davenport Cellars R.H.D. - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (12/6/2020)
Day 1: This bottle is in fine form. Cigar, blueberries, earth, pencil lead and gravel. A fitting tribute to Right Bank wines. 92 points (92 points)

This is rocking right now!

Matt N
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by Matt N »

John Glas wrote: November 24th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Almost the same but had
2011 Davenport Cellars Meritage Rouge
2013 Davenport Cellars Meritage Rouge Sheridan Vineyard

Popped open the 13 Meritage and it was very good.
Had the 13 Meritage this evening. Very good. Would buy more if it was available.
M. N1k0

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by John Glas »

Had the 13 Meritage this evening. Very good. Would buy more if it was available.
Amazing how good it is for they money. About the same as the mass produced Columbia Crest H3.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by John Glas »

They are down to just the Patch. Not as good as Mr. B but for $11.00 can't go wrong.
https://davenportcellars.orderport.net/ ... t-releases

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by John Glas »

Last call for Patch at $11.00 a bottle. Sign up for Discovery Club first to get the deal. Down to 8 cases as I just bought another one.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by John Glas »

2015 Davenport Cellars Malbec Reserve Malbec Sheridan Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Rattlesnake Hills (3/27/2021)
Day 1: Holly cow, Davenport does it again! If the Continuity and Mr. B wines were good this one is as good maybe better. Blueberries, dust, red berries, floral and mild smoke flavors. Dry in style and not sweet like so many of the Argentina Malbecs. Nice spices element on the finish. Very well made and great vineyard site. 93 points (93 points)

One of the best domestic Malbecs I have ever tasted!

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by John Glas »

email shelia if you are interested in a case of 08 RHD. Tried to see if they had any Malbec left but offered the RHD which I like but don't need any more wine.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by John Glas »

Wow! They are all sold out!

https://davenportcellars.orderport.net/ ... t-releases

Now just post your notes for the best wine deal of the last 5 years! I have been doing this a long time and have yet to find wines at this level for under $15.00 a bottle.

Return to “Wine Talk”