TN: 2014 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses

• 2014 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (12/20/2019)
    This is seriously good. So pure, piercing and precise. Loads of citrus and cool, wet stone minerality. It is sharp in the mouth, with incredible intensity and so much chalky, dry extract. It has brilliant cut and superb length. Under Diam this thing is but a pup.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note! Not much experience with Fevre but this piques my curiosity. Just in the last few days have had a couple nice Chablis wines also under Diam. Is this a legit trend in Chablis? Curious why it’s such a thing among the producers there.

Great to hear, thanks! IMO, Fevre is perhaps the best “qpr” for top tier Chablis.

I can’t speak to other producers, but in a discussion when tasting at the Domaine just after the '08s were bottled, it was made clear that at Fevre it is one of their several efforts to address the premox problem. Those efforts have targeted several possible causes, from what I understand. All levels of wine are now under Diam chez Fevre. So far, many of us feel it may be helping.

Good intel - thanks, Sarah

Fevre had bad premox problems, as have had and still do a lot of producers. It has been fixed here in Australia since the early 2000’s, when on mass the industry switched to screwcap. The romance of cork still lives on, and in an effort to fix their problem, Fevre went for Diam from 2008 onwards. I have not had a premox’d Fevre from this period.

Fevre started with Diam on their 1er Crus in 2007 onward…and on their Grand Crus in 2010 onward (some 2009 GCs got Diam, but only some apparently).

It’s interesting (or depressing, depending on what you have in your cellar) to do a search in Cellar Tracker for ‘2007 fevre 1er cru’ vs ‘2007 fevre grand cru’ (or 2008)…search in the page for ‘ox’ and see how many 1er cru drinkers are happy and how many GC cru drinkers aren’t. 2010 onward appears to be good, from everything I’ve drunk and seen on CT.

Kudos to Fevre for taking a terrible situation and turning it around.

Interesting. I bought a case of 2006 Fevre 1er cru and 2007. 2006’s have had issues, 2007’s all good. What you said makes sense to me. Thank you! Still have a few left of each. Not optimistic about the 2006.

Always a winner!

No surprise to hear a glowing report about their 14 Preuses. Thanks for the check-in, Jeremy. Arturo–welcome to the board!

great note. Thanks.