Aubert-Save the date

Didn’t see this mentioned anywhere…January 15 is the early offering. This fall I didn’t quite make the cut, though I appreciated that I was offered 3 bottles of Hyde Bros (which I promptly bought). Currently my favorite Cali Chards are Kutch and Peter M… I’ll buy at least one of each of their many cuvees, but would be interested in people’s general impressions…thanks in advance, love this board!

Been buying since the 2001 vintage—love them! Not that they’re the same, but if you like the Peter Michael style I believe you’ll enjoy these.

My GO-TO Chards, with Lauren as my favorite! flirtysmile

“For those of you who purchased our 2017 Lauren Estate Chardonnay last Spring, we are pleased to share that it has been awarded a perfect score of 100 Points by Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate. Enjoy! [winner.gif]
Thursday, January 9th at 9:00 am PST. Due to limited production, magnums are not guaranteed. This release is for our 2018 Single Vineyard Chardonnays.” [drinkers.gif]

Curious how people would differentiate their style from PM. Knowing Kutch is Santa Cruz Mt I figured they would be very different from Jamie’s…

My release date is Jan 14th (vs the 9th and 15th listed in this thread so far). I guess Aubert more finely segments their customer base than other wineries?

1 Like

y bad…myemail says the 14th.

wow, let’s try again…my email says the 14th.

So Kutch and Aubert are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as CA chard goes. I have purchased Aubert for several years, and more recently Kutch, but from a stylistic standpoint, Aubert is going for riper fruit with less acidity. They are rounder wines and while I think Peter Michael chards have too much oak presence, the cooperage and barrel toast at Aubert seems to be more to my taste, with a lovely vanilla creme brulee thing they all seem to share. All the Auberts I have tasted (2014 and newer) have been delicious but even then I’m not sure if they have the acidity needed for a long age. Curious if others have more data points here. Kutch’s chards to me appear more mineral driven and resemble 1ere chablis or a village puligny more than the other two. I agree with Mark that Aubert and PM are closer in type but Aubert’s are significantly better IMO.

1 Like

I’ve been notified that I’ve been moved from the waiting list to the allocation. Does anyone know if there is a limit that you need to purchase? I believe I have read that there is a 6 or 12 bottle minimum?

yes, it’s been 6 in the past. I logged in early last year and it was 12… but decreased to 6 once the allocation officially opened…

Yes, 6 bottle minimum and no choice on shipping (2nd-day air only). With shipping and sales tax, you will be forking out about $100 per bottle. Love the wines, but couldn’t stomach the inflexibility, so I no longer purchase. Cheers!

Hmm I was going to go deep on Aubert, but I searched my inbox and it looks like I’m getting of Peter Michael’s list this Feb and will get an allocation from them. What to do, what to do…

Aubert or stay home ! [pwn.gif]

Hello, how about a comparison to kistler and hudson?
(Are there any list members who would like to do a ca chardonnay or pinot tasting in nyc or nearby)

Ages much better than Kistler which seem to oxidize around 5 years.Much less oak than Hudson. Aubert is my favorite bar none

My favorite Chards…of all time! I buy all of them!

1 Like

This is one of our favorite Cali chards. They’re clearly Californian, aromatic, full bodied, and seem to age well, at least midterm (we started with 2012 vintage). It’s a wine that impresses most everyone. Worth investing in 6 bottles to try, IMO.

First year on the list - here we go!

1 Like

I guess it depends on what you mean by “long age”. I’ve regularly enjoyed Auberts 10-12 years past vintage date, but we typically drink them more in the 6-8 year range. We’ve opened one or two '14’s and '15s (but no '16 or '17s) in the last year or so, but find we miss the complexity that comes with a bit more bottle age.

Aubert is a must buy for me.

They do age very well. We did an Aubert vs. Peter Michael tasting earlier this year with 2012 vintage. All the wines were singing. All attending agreed there are many more great years ahead.