Aubert-Save the date

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

Aubert-Save the date

#1 Post by Len Stevens » December 19th, 2019, 10:40 am

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere....January 15 is the early offering. This fall I didn't quite make the cut, though I appreciated that I was offered 3 bottles of Hyde Bros (which I promptly bought). Currently my favorite Cali Chards are Kutch and Peter M.... I'll buy at least one of each of their many cuvees, but would be interested in people's general impressions...thanks in advance, love this board!

Mark Christenson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Aubert-Save the date

#2 Post by Mark Christenson » December 19th, 2019, 11:32 am

Been buying since the 2001 vintage—love them! Not that they’re the same, but if you like the Peter Michael style I believe you’ll enjoy these.
"...the thrall of reason, fool's gold for the bright."

NED VALOIS

#3 Post by NED VALOIS » December 19th, 2019, 12:56 pm

My GO-TO Chards, with Lauren as my favorite! flirtysmile

"For those of you who purchased our 2017 Lauren Estate Chardonnay last Spring, we are pleased to share that it has been awarded a perfect score of 100 Points by Robert Parker's Wine Advocate. Enjoy! [winner.gif]
Thursday, January 9th at 9:00 am PST. Due to limited production, magnums are not guaranteed. This release is for our 2018 Single Vineyard Chardonnays." [drinkers.gif]

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Len Stevens » December 19th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Curious how people would differentiate their style from PM. Knowing Kutch is Santa Cruz Mt I figured they would be very different from Jamie's...

KyleC

#5 Post by KyleC » December 19th, 2019, 1:32 pm

My release date is Jan 14th (vs the 9th and 15th listed in this thread so far). I guess Aubert more finely segments their customer base than other wineries?
C h e n

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Len Stevens » December 19th, 2019, 2:00 pm

y bad...myemail says the 14th.

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Len Stevens » December 19th, 2019, 2:01 pm

wow, let's try again...my email says the 14th.

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by J.Vizuete » December 19th, 2019, 2:36 pm

So Kutch and Aubert are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as CA chard goes. I have purchased Aubert for several years, and more recently Kutch, but from a stylistic standpoint, Aubert is going for riper fruit with less acidity. They are rounder wines and while I think Peter Michael chards have too much oak presence, the cooperage and barrel toast at Aubert seems to be more to my taste, with a lovely vanilla creme brulee thing they all seem to share. All the Auberts I have tasted (2014 and newer) have been delicious but even then I'm not sure if they have the acidity needed for a long age. Curious if others have more data points here. Kutch's chards to me appear more mineral driven and resemble 1ere chablis or a village puligny more than the other two. I agree with Mark that Aubert and PM are closer in type but Aubert's are significantly better IMO.
John V.

Nicolas G.

#9 Post by Nicolas G. » December 19th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I've been notified that I've been moved from the waiting list to the allocation. Does anyone know if there is a limit that you need to purchase? I believe I have read that there is a 6 or 12 bottle minimum?
G a r r e t t

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by J.Vizuete » December 19th, 2019, 3:05 pm

yes, it's been 6 in the past. I logged in early last year and it was 12... but decreased to 6 once the allocation officially opened...
John V.

Scott E.

#11 Post by Scott E. » December 19th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Yes, 6 bottle minimum and no choice on shipping (2nd-day air only). With shipping and sales tax, you will be forking out about $100 per bottle. Love the wines, but couldn't stomach the inflexibility, so I no longer purchase. Cheers!
$.E$te$

KyleC

#12 Post by KyleC » December 19th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Hmm I was going to go deep on Aubert, but I searched my inbox and it looks like I'm getting of Peter Michael's list this Feb and will get an allocation from them. What to do, what to do...
C h e n

NED VALOIS

#13 Post by NED VALOIS » December 19th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Aubert or stay home ! [pwn.gif]

Juliec

#14 Post by Juliec » December 19th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Hello, how about a comparison to kistler and hudson?
(Are there any list members who would like to do a ca chardonnay or pinot tasting in nyc or nearby)
hong

David Baum

#15 Post by David Baum » December 19th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Ages much better than Kistler which seem to oxidize around 5 years.Much less oak than Hudson. Aubert is my favorite bar none

Glenn P

#16 Post by Glenn P » December 20th, 2019, 6:16 am

My favorite Chards........of all time! I buy all of them!

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » December 20th, 2019, 7:01 am

This is one of our favorite Cali chards. They’re clearly Californian, aromatic, full bodied, and seem to age well, at least midterm (we started with 2012 vintage). It’s a wine that impresses most everyone. Worth investing in 6 bottles to try, IMO.

B Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by B Thorne » December 20th, 2019, 7:30 am

First year on the list - here we go!
B r i a n

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Scott Jameson » December 20th, 2019, 8:54 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 2:36 pm
So Kutch and Aubert are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as CA chard goes. I have purchased Aubert for several years, and more recently Kutch, but from a stylistic standpoint, Aubert is going for riper fruit with less acidity. They are rounder wines and while I think Peter Michael chards have too much oak presence, the cooperage and barrel toast at Aubert seems to be more to my taste, with a lovely vanilla creme brulee thing they all seem to share. All the Auberts I have tasted (2014 and newer) have been delicious but even then I'm not sure if they have the acidity needed for a long age. Curious if others have more data points here. Kutch's chards to me appear more mineral driven and resemble 1ere chablis or a village puligny more than the other two. I agree with Mark that Aubert and PM are closer in type but Aubert's are significantly better IMO.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "long age". I've regularly enjoyed Auberts 10-12 years past vintage date, but we typically drink them more in the 6-8 year range. We've opened one or two '14's and '15s (but no '16 or '17s) in the last year or so, but find we miss the complexity that comes with a bit more bottle age.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Ken Strauss » December 20th, 2019, 9:51 am

Aubert is a must buy for me.

They do age very well. We did an Aubert vs. Peter Michael tasting earlier this year with 2012 vintage. All the wines were singing. All attending agreed there are many more great years ahead.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by J.Vizuete » December 20th, 2019, 9:53 am

Interesting, because the 2012 Peter Michael Chards I've had have not held up well. Green wood tannins were detracting and the fruit had faded rather than developed into anything special. Could be poor storage as the bottles weren't my own...
John V.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Ken Strauss » December 20th, 2019, 11:33 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:53 am
Interesting, because the 2012 Peter Michael Chards I've had have not held up well. Green wood tannins were detracting and the fruit had faded rather than developed into anything special. Could be poor storage as the bottles weren't my own...
You could be correct.
My bottles are direct from the winery to storage @55 degrees.

Jeremy Charmak
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Jeremy Charmak » December 22nd, 2019, 2:41 pm

Finally opened one of the Chardonnay's, omg. I now look at all my other chardonnay with disdain.

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by J.Vizuete » December 22nd, 2019, 5:13 pm

Love that response. Its one reason I’m in the wine game - always looking for the next fun new thing. Glad you enjoyed it Jeremy
John V.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Anton D » December 22nd, 2019, 5:52 pm

Jeremy Charmak wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:41 pm
Finally opened one of the Chardonnay's, omg. I now look at all my other chardonnay with disdain.
You bring up a point that we were just recently discussing in my winos' group:

Tasting great wines together creates a distinction and can make for some disdain in the moment.

So many wines, if we drank them as the only wine, we'd plotz over. But with great next to great, we end up having a lower opinion of the other great wines.

Aubert can do that!

I think it is the most opulent wine I drink. I simply feels luxurious from nose to finish! I'm usually an AFWE person, but this wine is so well proportioned and constructed that it grabs me, straight up!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Juliec

#26 Post by Juliec » January 7th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Hello all, are there any good notes or details about the differences in the Aubert chardonnays. Not much to go on based on the website. No notes on the abv, ph, brix, clones used or number of cases. Anyone have a good basic understanding of the differences? (Given the vinification seems to be about the same for all the chards)
hong

YLee

#27 Post by YLee » January 7th, 2020, 12:47 pm

I was going to ask the same thing. This year will be my first purchase and I have zero experience with their wines.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by J a y H a c k » January 7th, 2020, 1:26 pm

I get so many save the dates in January, I wonder why I don't get any Save the Credit Cards.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by J a y H a c k » January 7th, 2020, 1:30 pm

YLee wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 12:47 pm
I was going to ask the same thing. This year will be my first purchase and I have zero experience with their wines.
I have been buying since the 2004 vintage. It is a matter of taste. There are people who hate Aubert. They are wrong, but you may not like them. You should taste one and decide if you like them. Anyone who says that the chards do not age has probably never had one. I had a 2004 Lauren in 2016 and it was OUTSTANDING. I have trouble keeping my hands off them (the 04 belonged to someone else) but I recently had a 2006 Reuling Chard that I bought on the mailing list and it was very very good.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by J.Vizuete » January 7th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Juliec wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 12:45 pm
Hello all, are there any good notes or details about the differences in the Aubert chardonnays. Not much to go on based on the website. No notes on the abv, ph, brix, clones used or number of cases. Anyone have a good basic understanding of the differences? (Given the vinification seems to be about the same for all the chards)
I am told that technically they are all treated the same - same cooperage and %new, time in barrel. I suppose the ferments could differ naturally, but the idea is that they are meant to be an expression of site as the other variables are kept as consistent as possible. ABV are mid 14s-low 15s, but they are well integrated. No idea on clones or case volume

Sugar Shack is usually the warmest, roundest, most "Californian" if you will. Mineral/acid fans generally would not enjoy
LH&Sons is the coolest climate wine and it shows, green apple and lime notes, lowest pH of the bunch usually I think
Powderhouse is an estate vineyard with the youngest vines. Not quite as full fruited, but decent acidity (a touch behind LH&S)
Eastside has the most minerality for my taste, but these are all somewhat opulent
Lauren and UVSL just exude full fruited chardonnay purity with the nod in complexity usually going to the Lauren. They all have this kiss of brown sugar
Haven't had CIX/Hudson yet

I've only been on the list a few years so there are probably plenty of folks here who have more experience than I, but that's how I've generalized it in my head thus far.
John V.

Juliec

#31 Post by Juliec » January 7th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Thanks John V. Perfect! This was a great help. I think I know which ones I'll try. The ones closest to sonoma coast along with some of the famous sites hudson and hyde and I'll cross check scores so i dont miss anything. For those on multiple lists how does aubert compare with Hudson's signature chardonnay? Thank you!
hong

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Anton D » January 7th, 2020, 2:53 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 1:41 pm
Juliec wrote:
I am told that technically they are all treated the same - same cooperage and %new, time in barrel. I suppose the ferments could differ naturally, but the idea is that they are meant to be an expression of site as the other variables are kept as consistent as possible. ABV are mid 14s-low 15s, but they are well integrated. No idea on clones or case volume

Sugar Shack is usually the warmest, roundest, most "Californian" if you will. Mineral/acid fans generally would not enjoy
LH&Sons is the coolest climate wine and it shows, green apple and lime notes, lowest pH of the bunch usually I think
Powderhouse is an estate vineyard with the youngest vines. Not quite as full fruited, but decent acidity (a touch behind LH&S)
Eastside has the most minerality for my taste, but these are all somewhat opulent
Lauren and UVSL just exude full fruited chardonnay purity with the nod in complexity usually going to the Lauren. They all have this kiss of brown sugar

I've only been on the list a few years so there are probably plenty of folks here who have more experience than I, but that's how I've generalized it in my head thus far.
Man, that note was gorgeous.

Kudos and 6 Berserker Points for you!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Scott Jameson » January 7th, 2020, 4:43 pm

The Hudson Chardonnay has been part of the fall release, along with the Pinot Noirs and the appellation wines.

Even though I've been buying since the '05 vintage release, I have yet to open a Hudson or Powderhouse (2017 was its 1st vintage). I won't argue with John V's characterization of the wines, but I find them far more similar than his descriptions might imply. While I haven't done either a vertical or a horizontal tasting (we tend to savor each individual bottle ...), I think I'd find more variation across vintages than I would among the different vineyards in the same vintage. Sounds like something I should test, though ...

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by J.Vizuete » January 7th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Yes Scott, good point - I agree it’s a relatively narrow range, just trying to highlight what differences may be there. I have never done a horizontal either as these are typically special occasion wines in our house but I would be very interested to try that out. They have a tasting room now and we had a visit planned recently that was unfortunately cancelled due to the fires. I can’t wait to go back and compare. It is fair to say that these are all opulent, ripe, new world Chards with high quality fruit.
John V.

Mark Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Mark Stevens » January 7th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Long time fan and buyer of Marc’s wines, both red and white. Just enjoyed a 2005 Ritchie chardonnay last week that was incredibly delicious at age 15, with much upside remaining. California’s grand cru white burgundy, in my view.

Joel S Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Joel S Morris » January 8th, 2020, 6:44 am

Ken Strauss wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:51 am

They do age very well. We did an Aubert vs. Peter Michael tasting earlier this year with 2012 vintage. All the wines were singing. All attending agreed there are many more great years ahead.
Hi Ken. I was offered to get my allocation on next Tues, 1/14. Are you earlier than that?

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Ken Strauss » January 8th, 2020, 6:59 am

Joel S Morris wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 6:44 am
Ken Strauss wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:51 am

Hi Ken. I was offered to get my allocation on next Tues, 1/14. Are you earlier than that?
Hi,
Yes
1/9 for me.

Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Gray G » January 8th, 2020, 8:04 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 1:26 pm
I get so many save the dates in January, I wonder why I don't get any Save the Credit Cards.
that is funny!
my friends call me Gary, so much time, so little wine, Albanista, K Vinters rocks! MCK, Cattle King, love Gri3v3 Family wines Double Eagle baby! flavors please, non-religious freedom :) egalitarian, non-socialist, non-ITB, paid subscriber of online chat, Going Beserk everyday! "life's not black and white but black and grey"- Graham Greene

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Steve L Gellman » January 8th, 2020, 8:09 am

Aubert and Ferren are the only Whites I buy. Also, Marcassin but a friend shares his allocation with me

Chuck Schmeling

#40 Post by Chuck Schmeling » January 8th, 2020, 6:55 pm

I like the Aubert chards but very seldom drink chards. I very much like Aubert pinots and great pinots in general. Got some chards on their last offer as it included a warning to buy to stay on list. Anyone know about the stay on the list algorithm and/or when their pinots offered?

roybehr

#41 Post by roybehr » January 9th, 2020, 12:46 am

Anton D wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 2:53 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 1:41 pm
Juliec wrote:

Man, that note was gorgeous.

Kudos and 6 Berserker Points for you!
I visited the winery in November, and asked our host (Lydia) the same question. My very incomplete notes on her answer:

Powderhouse - white floral
Sugarshack - cool, citrus, Meyer lemon
CIX - bright crisp apple
Lauren - rich, chalky limestone soil, seashells
Eastside - blanketed w fog, cold climate, petrol, more green apple than citrus, brioche
UVSL - lots of fog and rain

FWIW, I have had the 2007 Peter Michael Cuvee Indigene a couple of times in the last three years (once from magnum) and that baby brought the house down, including once in Napa with a couple of this group's favorite winemakers. I don't know if they all age this well, but this one has proven its ageability on a couple of occasions.

Peter Hirsch

#42 Post by Peter Hirsch » January 9th, 2020, 3:01 am

I wish mine lasted long enough to see what they taste like with some age on them. Aubert is the only American white wine I buy and we generally go through 3/4 of the allocation each year. Maybe all of it. I also like Peter Michael, but decided to just concentrate on one vintner to get better allocations (selection, magnums, etc). I was on the Kistler list a long time ago. Loved the wines in the first 1-4 years, not so much with any age (PremOx issues for me).

Mattias Jansson

#43 Post by Mattias Jansson » January 9th, 2020, 10:01 am

The spring release opened up today for "priority access" customers (long-term customers, I believe - I've been buying since the 2004 vintage). The regular release is on Tuesday Jan 14.

My allocation was the same as last year, and the prices were the same except that Lauren is now $115 (up from $100 last year) and Powder House is up to $95 (from $90.) The Lauren magnum also increased from $270 to $275 - all others stayed the same.

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by C Prince » January 9th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Yes, it’s open... but It’s the first time I recall having to buy a case though.
∰Col leen∰

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Jeremy C » January 9th, 2020, 5:11 pm

My offer stated a minimum requirement of nine bottles be purchased.
Cuth.bert.son

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Anton D » January 9th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Whatever the lower limit, you’ll thank yourself later!
Anton Dotson

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Ken Strauss » January 9th, 2020, 8:17 pm

My minimum of 12 is no problem.
Strange that they have different minimums.

NED VALOIS

#48 Post by NED VALOIS » January 9th, 2020, 9:09 pm

IN ! flirtysmile

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by SeanHarding » January 14th, 2020, 8:52 am

My minimum is apparently 9 this year. I swear in the past it's been 6. I did order, IIRC, 12 bottles last year. I'm not sure if the increased minimum is a "reward" for buying more last year, or an across the board thing, or what...

robkim

#50 Post by robkim » January 14th, 2020, 9:11 am

i had a 12 minimum, sort of annoying after hearing other minimums. been buying for 15 years.

Return to “Wine Talk”